Author Topic: Treating fire ant bites?  (Read 10691 times)

SADShooter

• friend
Treating fire ant bites?
« on: May 16, 2005, 10:59:49 AM »
We have a small property in the Texas Hill Country (near Junction). Through stupidity or cosmic intervention, I'm a magnet for fire ants. This is an issue in recent years because I can't seem to keep the bites from scarring as they heal. Note: I work hard at not scratching, but they fester, rupture and scar regardless. I use antiseptic/anesthetic sprays (e.g. Lanacane) with little result.

Any experiences or advice welcome.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Stand_watie

• friend
Treating fire ant bites?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2005, 02:04:49 PM »
Clorox or ammonia. Run, don't walk to the house after you get bitten and put a dab on the bite. Apparently the ant poison is protein based and the bleach/ammonia breaks that down (or something like that).  It's the difference between a small red welt and a pus filled, itchy blister.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Azrael256

• friend
Treating fire ant bites?
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2005, 02:15:36 PM »
Dust off, and nuke from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure.

That said, you might look into some sort of chemical pest control.  I have seen some remarkably effective chemicals in recent years.  Obviously dead fire ants don't bite.

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
Treating fire ant bites?
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2005, 05:39:05 PM »
Aspirin poultice.  I know it sounds simple, but try it, and get back to me.

Larry

Treating fire ant bites?
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2005, 07:26:39 PM »
Yep Aspirin Poultice works.  
Taking Benedryl is a good idea as well.

Since going thru Anaphaltic shock due to Asprin - I avoid ASA, and any NSAIDS personally.

Malto- Meal seems to work about as well as the Orkin Fire Ant Stuff Mom bought, she had problems with Fire Ants for a bit,  I was trying various methods.

While doing so I had this brilliant idea to rent Ant-Eaters to folks with problems, never followed up on what all invloved. Just my luck some company will come up with this idea - and once again, one of my money making ideas I didn't follow thru on will make millions.  *smirk*

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Treating fire ant bites?
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2005, 09:11:18 PM »
A poultice of meat tenderizer also works on many bug bites. It also destroys the enzymes in the poison.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Treating fire ant bites?
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2005, 04:08:38 AM »
You need a new pet
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

SADShooter

• friend
Treating fire ant bites?
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2005, 06:11:14 AM »
Larry/sm:

Please describe the aspirin poultice. Ground aspirin/water paste, something else? My inquiring blisters want to know.

Re: pest control. We're talking 200+ rugged acres, surrounded by property owners who may not care. Avoidance and treatment are probably the only options.

Keep it coming,

SADShooter

(Wondering how my Lab mixwould get along with an anteater.)
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Treating fire ant bites?
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2005, 06:50:14 AM »
I like simple, so I used BC Headache powder, spit and paste .  Cheesy

Mike is correct - I forgot the meat tenderizer , same deal just a paste. Some folks get some relief with Baking Soda paste as well.

Seriously - Benadryl - being a  antihistamine, is always smart to have in a first aid kit. Many folks get an allergic reation to bee stings and poison oak/ ivy.

You may want to consult your Doctor, to make sure you don't have some serious allergic reations to Fire Ants and such.  As stated above, I've been thru Anaphalactic shock - it ain't fun.  I have seen the effects caused from Seafood , bee stings, peanuts, and Asprin on others.

I never had a problem with ASA, granted I rarely take anything anyway. One day I took some Sinus meds with ASA, and WHAM!

AS learned from  my Dr., and later in some classes. Anything one puts on their skin or in their body - they can become allergic to.  One day the body says " I don't want this" and reacts.

Ladies and make-up, ladies will say " this make-up changed, it breaks me out" . Actually most likely the make-up did not change. Their skin said " I don't want this anymore" and breaks them out.

At least find out how serious a reaction you have, maybe even get a Epi Pen to keep handy - you don't want to get caught out and have more serious reactions.

Check with the local Extension Service and see what they recommend. Also the old guys at Farm & Seed Supply may have some great ideas too about your property.

Good Luck.

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
Treating fire ant bites?
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2005, 08:44:25 AM »
We have a little marble mortar and pestle from a kitchen supply store.  Buy some cheap aspirin, grind to a powder, and when needed, apply water and make a paste.  Just put a glob of the paste on the bite.  Works wonders on any sting from mosquito to hornet.  In a pinch out in the field, you could just spit on an aspirin and hold it on the bite.

I'm allergic to bee stings and ant bites.  I carry the little kit everywhere with me.  It has Benadryl as first line of defense, and then a shot you give yourself if you get dangerous hives.

SADShooter

• friend
Treating fire ant bites?
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2005, 11:16:18 AM »
Thanks, Larry. Not a magic cure, but the aspirin poultice did reduce some site inflammation.

I should mention I'm being treated aggressively for environmental allergies (dust, mold, pollens) with shots and antihistamines. Is there a possible relationship? Austin is close to Hell for allergy sufferers. I don't know if taking Benadryl is a good idea on top of evreything else. I'll ask my allergist.

Thanks again!

SADShooter

demmimoore

Re: Treating fire ant bites?
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2013, 06:35:16 AM »
The best way to keep these pest away like ants and bed bugs is call an pest exterminator.  [ar15]
I am a sig line spammer.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2013, 10:22:57 AM »
I love me some spam!  Especially thread necrophilia spam!
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

brimic

• friends
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2013, 11:52:34 AM »
I love me some spam!  Especially thread necrophilia spam!

You're just bragging because you won  this thread like 8 years ago. :lol:
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2013, 01:39:08 PM »
The best way to keep these pest away like ants and bed bugs is call an pest exterminator.  [ar15]

I would have just used Ashton as bait to keep them away from me and the kids myself. But whatever.  =)
I promise not to duck.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2013, 03:38:10 PM »
Everyone knows the correct answer is bacon.

Bacon cures everything.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2013, 03:43:03 PM »
Dude !?!?!?  We had Demi Moore register and join our site and you banned her ?!?!?! 

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2013, 04:48:46 PM »
Dude !?!?!?  We had Demi Moore register and join our site and you banned her ?!?!?! 

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Srsly, did you expect her to bring us a sammich?  Or even have one/some of her minionettes bring us a sammich?

The first time someone actually remembers history and takes a step to not have to repeat it, you jump up and harsh him?

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2013, 06:17:36 PM »
Leave it alone until it forms a little blister, then pop it with a needle and drain it to get the poison out (otherwise it will go a lot deeper)

Logic fire ant killer bait is slow-acting but works great.  A pound of it will eradicate the ants on about an acre -- until they move back in from your neighbors.  If you have a few mounds near high traffic areas and you can't wait a month, use Orthene 90S.  IIRC you sprinkle about a teaspoon of powder on top of the anthill, trying not to disturb them, and they'll be dead the next day.  Works better than drenching them with Malathion.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 07:48:44 PM by zxcvbob »
"It's good, though..."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2013, 07:21:13 PM »
Ant baits can work also and can be put around your perimeter also. 

Otherwise, poison.  Insecticides that kill ants in key traffic spots can help.  I don't welt up with the bites though. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2013, 08:29:35 PM »
One thing I learned about fire ants in Florida was:

If you spray to poison the ant colonies, make damned good and sure you don't drive them closer to the house.   :facepalm:
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2013, 09:02:34 PM »
Wow this far in and no mention of det cord?
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2013, 11:11:59 PM »
Holy way back thread machine Batman!
2005?
I wish I was that young again!

Clear calamine lotion, it rubs it on its skin.

I wonder what sadshooter ended up doing anyway?
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2013, 11:43:22 PM »
I read the title of this thread as "Tweeting fire ant bites" and thought "what kind of idiot would stand there and tweet while he was being bitten by fire ants?" Sadly, some moron probably has...
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2013, 11:55:48 PM »
For control, I've had good luck with spinosad based products. Bonus is that spinosad is garden safe.

I've never had a bad reaction to fire ant stings (which is a bit strange, I don't tolerate wasp stings well). But then I've never receive a lot of stings at once either. A lot of people around here push Listerine as being good for calming fire ant stings.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.