Author Topic: Are you part of the 8%?  (Read 659 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Are you part of the 8%?
« on: February 09, 2021, 03:57:48 PM »
Well, if you are, you're a privileged bastard who must be taxed into poverty!

Oh, wait, that's not the focus of this story... but I'm sure it's the focus of some politicians...

In any event, it's nice being in the 8%...

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/02/09/more-than-8-percent-of-american-adults-are-millionaires-heres-how-they-got-wealthy.html
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: Are you part of the 8%?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2021, 04:32:39 PM »
I got about 12-13 more years before I am a paper millionaire. I'm going to do it in less than 25 years.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

ConstitutionCowboy

• friend
  • My Gender and Pronouns are Standard.
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2021, 04:33:17 PM »
I think I'm somewhere in the top 80 percentile. If I wasn't out of debt, I'd be in the top 99 percentile. (Me thinks I've got lots of company ...)

Woody
   "Knowing the past, I'll not surrender any arms and march less prepared into the future."   B.E.Wood

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2021, 04:42:57 PM »
Invest $2262 a year ($188.50/month) in an S&P 500 index fund (or anything else returning 10% net of fees on average annually) and 40 years later you’ll be a millionaire.

That said, $1mil ain’t what it used to be.  I couldn’t retire on $1mil.  Using the 4% rule of thumb that would only let me take out $40k/yr.  Sure, I could take out more, but then I might outlive my money.  And I’d want at least double that amount to be able to enjoy life in retirement.  Property taxes and various (non-health) insurances alone cost me $8-10k a year as it is.
Formerly sumpnz

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2021, 04:46:38 PM »
Chris Hogan, radio host and author of the book “Everyday Millionaires,” surveyed more than 10,000 of those wealthy individuals to figure out their secret to success.

Chris Hogan, you Uncle Tom! You don't have to interview them. You know they didn't build that! Sincerely, Obama.

As for me, it was hard work and doing without when I was young, while my buddies took fancy vacations and bought fancy new cars they couldn't afford. The tables turned as we got middle aged, only I could, in my 40s, do the stuff they were doing in their 20s, only without taking loans out to do it.

I will admit I didn't "build all that". I had parents who gave me sound financial advice and started me on the road to responsibility at a young age.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2021, 04:52:13 PM »
For me it is because I started my 401k as soon as I could and started maxing it out as soon as I could afford to do that.

And living cheaply.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2021, 06:49:02 PM »
Praise the Lord for index funds, I say.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2021, 06:56:35 PM »
Praise the Lord for index funds, I say.

This is true. I don't know if I would be where I am if the money I put and left in index funds was in individual stocks I was managing myself. My money in the TSP grew without much input from me. While I do play with individual stocks, and do fairly well now, when I started, I lost a decent chunk of dough. If I was relying on myself and individual stocks, I'd be way behind where i am now.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2021, 07:16:24 PM »
Live below your means, avoid discretionary debt, save & invest regularly, and if you have & keep a decent job by the time you retire you SHOULD be at least an "entry level" millionaire.

But a million ain't what it used to be.

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2021, 07:28:41 PM »
^^^Back when I first started my career in malpractice defense in the mid-80's, a million was still a lot of money, and most malpractice policies were only for a million.  Settlements or verdicts in that amount were unusual.  Now, not so much.  A million just does not go as far as it used to.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2021, 09:13:20 PM »
Rule of 72 applies to inflation as much as investment returns.  At 3% annual inflation (about the long term official rate) the buying power of your money is cut in half about every 24 years.  So $1mil back in 1973 would be about the buying power of $4mil today.  I think inflation has been higher though as I’m pretty sure $1mil in 1973 would have gone farther than $4mil today. 
Formerly sumpnz

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2021, 09:46:40 PM »
I'm a hundredaire.

And there are more of us voting than you rich bastard exploiters, so watch out !  Go, 92 percenters, go !
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.