Author Topic: What are your kids majoring in?  (Read 4580 times)

Nathaniel Firethorn

• friend
  • Extra Thorny
What are your kids majoring in?
« on: December 01, 2005, 04:09:39 AM »
Hi, all,

As I approach another decade mark, I'm pondering my career options. I'm in a field that is getting offshored to Cheapistan in a hurry (software development) and will probably have to make a transition at some point. So I was wondering what the yunguns are studying.

What degrees are your kids (or you, or other friends/family/acquaintances) taking?

Thanks,
- NF.
Give up no state. Give up no ground.

http://www.njcsd.org

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2005, 04:39:32 AM »
no kids, still practicing

I am a part time nursing student, working towards an associates in nursing. I currently work in the IT field and when I get my RN I will make approx the same as I do right now but will have better raises and more flexibilty in where I can work. I'm doing for a career change and also to move a more remote part of Iowa that doesn't have a whole lot jobs.

Charby
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Phantom Warrior

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2005, 04:54:44 AM »
I just got a B.S. in Math and a B.S. in Computer Science.  Of course I joined the Army, so that's not really a comment on the job market.  My sister is graduating this year w/ a Bachelor's in Elementary Education (emphasis in math).  My best friend is in a two-year law enforcement program.  My two friends are in the Psychology and the Nursing program at UND.  My cousin is in the Chem E program.  One of my other cousin is in Packaging Sciences.

There are going to be people in everything.  I know there is a good market for nursing/medical stuff.  A girl I used to work with graduated from a two-year radiological tech program and started at 50K in Fargo, ND.

bratch

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2005, 07:39:14 AM »
Petroleum Engineering...

...has left the building.

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2005, 08:21:42 AM »
I just graduated a year and a half ago from undergrad. I majored in Management, minored in Finance and Econ. So far, it has worked out quite nicely for me.

SpookyPistolero

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2005, 09:23:36 AM »
I'm a few weeks away from my Bio degree. Going to pharmacy school after that, with some luck.

I've got friends in about every department, it seems. Lots from business and from education, and those damn psychology majors. Going to be more than a few jobless biology graduates, though. Having a bachealors in biology is about like having a GED in another field, it seems.
"She could not have reached this white serenity except as the sum of all the colors, of all the violence she had known." - The Fountainhead
"Smoke your pipe and be silent; there's only wind and smoke in the world"  - Irish Proverb

Ukraine Train

• friend
    • http://ukrainetrain21.tripod.com
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2005, 09:27:40 AM »
Graduating in a couple weeks with a BS in mech. eng., concentration in automotive powertrain. Unfortunately all the jobs in that field are around Detroit. I was hoping to move out west.

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2005, 11:12:12 AM »
Daughter is a Freshman at the University of Arizona.  She is going to major in Nutrition and then persue her doctorate in Pediatrics.  

I am working on an associates in Aviation technology (2 classes left) and plan to persue a bachelors in Aviation Safety.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2005, 11:42:27 AM »
charby said: no kids, still practicing
Well, you know what they say. If you practice something long enough you're bound to get it right sooner or later...

Cheesy
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2005, 11:49:57 AM »
BA in History.  I graduate in May.  Since my degree is only useful for grad school or teaching at a government indoctrination camp (public school), I also did my MCSE and have been working in the field since I came to college.

cfabe

• friend
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2005, 01:46:26 PM »
Graduated a year ago with a BS in computer engineering (mix of EE and CS). Got hired on with my co-op employer, but the job market for for engineering I believe will be shrinking in the next few decades. If I grow tired of engineering or am out of work, I'll probably go back go to school in an accelerated BSN program and then continue to nurse anesthesia. Good money, growing field, and very flexible working conditions. Right now I'm working on the side to start up an internet business with a couple other guys, as well.

...has left the building.

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2005, 02:04:23 PM »
Oh I forgot to mention...plans are going back for an MBA in '06 then starting a specialized software company.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2005, 05:01:59 PM »
Kid #1, graduated end of summer specializing in medical equipment servicing.  Still looking for work.

Kid #2, music education.  

Kid #3, physics (or something related to that, I'm fuzzy on the details)
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2005, 05:21:34 PM »
My two stepsons, aged 22 and 25, are majoring in sloth and video games.  They'll have a rude awakening when I retire in 5 weeks, and move away, leaving them to figure out how they're gonna keep themselves fed.
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2005, 05:35:31 PM »
My two stepsons, aged 22 and 25, are majoring in sloth and video games.  They'll have a rude awakening when I retire in 5 weeks, and move away, leaving them to figure out how they're gonna keep themselves fed.
That sounds like FUN!  You simply must video tape this for your fellow APSers.

I've no kids, so that point is moot.  Though I have been thinking about brushing up on the gene splicing skills that have been lanquishing for the past five years or so.  I think a couple of  these guys

would make great house pets/guard animals if they were the size of an Old English Sheep Dog.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2005, 05:51:44 PM »
Well, I have a MSc in chemistry from 20 some odd years ago, and a MBA from five years ago.  I work in healthcare administration.  Right now, some of the hot jobs in healthcare are nursing, radiology technologist, and physical therapy.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2005, 05:54:13 PM »
Working on Comp Sci right now.  They don't call it a BS degree for nothign.
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

Sylvilagus Aquaticus

• friend
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/sylvilagus
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2005, 08:58:03 PM »
My oldest went through ...let's see....4 colleges (3 junior division, one state 4 year) majoring in frat and Campusology. One day, I had a sudden thought...since he's such an adrenalin junkie, he might be interested in the fire service.  Miracle of miracles, he showed some interest...looked into it, and completed the fire academy (one of the toughest) on the first pass, followed it up immediately with his EMT cert, then completed the paramedic training and just sat for the registry. His scores should be back any day now, and he's likely passed with high marks.  He's really gotten things together in his life and he's been applying to FD's around the area while working for a transport service and has shaped up into a very responsible young man of 25.  

The younger one just finished high school last spring. He's considering automotive tech school, which is 'interesting' because he's such a Luddite.  Currently he, like his brother before him, is sorting packages overnight for a shipping company while considering his options.  He's never shown any interest in working on cars, but he's fairly good with manual dexterity, and has a strong curiosity about him.  For the last 4 years, like Gewehr's stepheathens, he's been majoring in sloth, Playstation and his little thug friends.  If he would get things together, he could make a fine living in this area if he chooses to pursue auto tech.

Me? I have a B.Sci in economics and computer science, followed by a B.Sci in nursing and some master's work in biology.  Currently I work for one of the core large global IT solutions providers on their primary operating system kernel support team. It ain't Microsoft, either.

Regards,
Rabbit.
To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself.
Albert Einstein

brimic

• friends
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2005, 09:17:12 PM »
My son is majoring in crayon drawing, fingerpainting, and playing on the slide at daycare.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Nathaniel Firethorn

• friend
  • Extra Thorny
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2005, 04:19:49 AM »
BTW:

Me: Ph.D. in Comp. Sci., 1993. Went back to school  full-time after 8 years in biz.

Microsoft has just about destroyed the Comp Sci research system in the USA, and this has been quite deliberate. If you want to teach, get an MS and teach community college. Don't waste your time on a Ph.D. in C.S.

- NF
Give up no state. Give up no ground.

http://www.njcsd.org