Author Topic: What are my options (Digital Gadgets has my netbook, will not return messages)?  (Read 8412 times)

Snowdog

• friend
Ok, so I went against the grain and purchased a netbook despite the suggestion of a computer-guru friend who almost insisted I purchase a small laptop, but I was focusing on portability due to what I would be using it for and the price was right.

It was a Sylvania Magni G series that worked great until about 3 months later it suddenly decided to stop recognizing various components such as WiFi, the USB ports and wouldn't open some programs.  It was still under the one year warranty so I emailed the company handling warranty repairs (Digital Gadgets) and received a prompt reply. A few days later I received a shipping label in the mail, so I packaged the unit and shipped it out.  Unfortunately, I didn’t record any of the numbers on the UPS return label.

This was around February 20th.  I have emailed the contact technician that I had earlier communication with multiple times since with no response. I have left about half a dozen phone messages as well (of the couple dozen times I’ve called during business hours, I have yet to connect to anything other than voicemail).

Since I need this netbook for work, I am considering buying another one as it seems possible I may have issues getting my Sylvania netbook back. 
What options do I have that might assist me to pressure these folks at Digital Gadgets to at least communicate what is going on?

Thanks in advance for any suggestion you might have!

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Your netbook is probably history.  From what you said, it sounds like this outfit is out of business, or just about gone.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
Find out another phone number besides the one for the person you had dealt with before.  Then see if you can find out what's going on.  That person you had dealt with is either gone from the company or on vacation.  Either way you need to get in touch with someone else.
Formerly sumpnz

Snowdog

• friend
Your netbook is probably history.

That would be my worst-case scenario.  I'm hoping it's nothing that drastic but understand that's certainly a possibility. 
 =(

Find out another phone number besides the one for the person you had dealt with before.

Will do.  I just sent an email (this will be the 3rd, I believe) to their general email for technical issues.
I also located a different name and email for another representative and sent him an email as well. I guess time will tell what kind of company (and people) I'm dealing with here. 

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Ahhh, crapola.  Just lost a long and very detailed post about contact information. Frikin hangups!!!

Anywhoo...

Google "Digital Gadgets Paul Goldenberg".  You're going to find a bunch of different addresses.  The one that shows up most often is

575 Madison Ave, NY

Intersting that googling that address show up a ton of other businesses.  Try it.  It's enlightening.

Also, the phone number 212-433-1098 also keeps popping up.  Reverse phone directory hits keep coming up with the same two cats:

Paul Goldenberg
575 Madison Ave
New York

Gary Levy
4429 18th Ave
Brooklyn, NY

Also found this customer service number on Amazon (646) 597-4676. No idea where it goes but it's another lead. (shows up as a wireless number in a couple of reverse directory searches, but that's about it.)

Hope this helps.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Snowdog

• friend
Brad, I truly appreciate that information.  During my search for contact info, I stumbled upon the posts of others who had similar issues with Digital Gadgets (sluggish to nonexistent communication). 

I'll certainly give the suspected customer service number a call.  It would be nice to talk to an actual person instead of leaving messages.

What burns me is that I could have just paid some local shop $50 out of pocket, but I just had to be cheap.  Oh well, hindsight is 20/20 I guess. 

Jim147

• friends
Do you have any contact info for the manufacturer?

Try getting a hold of someone there. If they are an independent warranty contractor they will have to answer the company or they might not get paid.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Digital Gadgets licensed the Sylvania name from Osram Sylvania.  From what I can tell the products are made in China by some no-name third party and imported under the Sylvania name by DG.

I'd start making calls to the NY city and state attorneys general to see if they might be able to help.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
Not lookin' good.  See The Day the Netbook Died.

My other purpose in writing about my experience was to update my March review and warn people away from Sylvania netbooks. It turns out there was no need; Sylvania netbooks seem to have disappeared from the market. Considering my experiences I'm not at all surprised that their foray into the netbook market wasn't exactly successful. It's a pity because for seven months I really did like their product.

In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

sanglant

• friend
and they were all reminded not to buy ANYTHING from a man that uses the word "Gadget" :facepalm:

SLY

~
I too bought the Netbook and totally LOVED it the 3 weeks it worked, but then it got stuck on the "Loading OS Image" page.

I contacted Digital Gadgets as they said to do, not to take it back or contact the place I purchased it.
After a bunch of recording and sending emails I got a call from an agent I could not understand.

I got this RUDE agent who did not speak English, plus there was so much noise in the background from other agents calls, plus there was all this loud fuzzy noise in the background like a long distance call in the 1960's!!!

And to top it off I didn't get the HELP I NEEDED!!!

For what it's worth, I received this email today:

Re: SupportThursday, March 3, 2011 7:49 AM
From: "Bryan Salmeron" <BSalmeron@digitalgadgets.com>Add sender to ContactsTo: Sly@********.comThank you for contacting Digital Gadgets Technical Support. Due to the issues you have been having with your device, you have been approved for an RMA request.

Please reply to this message in the following manner to begin the RMA process*: include your full name, email address, shipping address, date & location of purchase, and model# of your unit. Have all original packaging and the receipt from an authorized location of purchase ready as our RMA eligibility system and company policy demands that we cannot assist you further without this information.

Once this information is received, you will be sent a confirmation message and an electronic shipping label from UPS. Please attach this label to the original product box, and include the unit to be returned and a copy of your sales receipt. The shipping label we provide you will cover all shipping costs.

* Please note: Units purchased from non-authorized retailers (any secondhand or on-line location such as Amazon or eBay) will not be eligible for an RMA. Please also note that we manually check every unit that comes into our RMA department. If the unit shows obvious signs of tamper and/or software modification, you will not be eligible for an exchange, the unit will be sent back to you, and your warranty will be considered void thereafter. Please take this information into account before sending out a unit for RMA.

With kind regards,
Bryan  Salmeron

DIGITALGADGETS

Bryan Salmeron |Customer Service Representative | Ph. 646-597-5516

I am afraid to send it back not only because it might not do any good but ALL my personal information is on it.

I found this board by trying to find some help but maybe this new number will help someone.
I think I'll just take the $100. loss : (

Sly
~
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 02:36:06 PM by SLY »

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
Sylvania is to laptops as Lorcin is to handguns
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Getting back on topic here.  (I know, it's a sacrilige on APS  :angel:)

What is the possibility of submitting a loss claim under your homeowner's insurance policy?  Seems the item was either stolen (Digital Gadgets will not give it back to you) or it's lost (Digital Gadgets will not give it back to you).

I realize that this suggestion is simplistic and does not restore the item to your possession, but it might assuage you to be compensated for the loss.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

sanglant

• friend
two more options, CC charge back, and getting LE involved. the feds might be interested if it was mailed. :angel:

didn't think of that up front. :facepalm:

SLY

~
A CC is a good ideal except I gave my assistant cash to pick it up. :sad:

Sly
~