Author Topic: Alternate Stocks for an 870?  (Read 2332 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Alternate Stocks for an 870?
« on: March 29, 2012, 04:38:07 PM »
I let Amy shoot my 870 this morning and she didn't like it because the pull is too long on the "stock' stock. She seemed to handle the 12 gauge loads fine. This is the mainstream sporting goods store 18" "home defense" version of the 870 with the black plastic stocks.

Any recommendations for an alternate stock? I'd consider a good quality adjustable one to keep from getting another shotgun, though I really do want an M4. :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Re: Alternate Stocks for an 870?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 05:34:32 PM »
I have no personal experience, but have had people say the M4orgery conversion stocks for an 870 are decent.  That has a pistol grip though.  You could do a youth stock or get a wood adult one and cut it down.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 05:35:22 PM »
Blackhawk/Knoxx collapsible, or Speedfeed makes a short LOP stock.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 05:40:44 PM »
I've got a Knoxx on my Winchester 1300.  It looks kinda like an M4 buttstock.  Adjustable LOP and good recoil reduction.  I believe a certain member here sells them.  ;)
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2012, 05:53:27 PM »
I'm short, with short arms.  I went with an M4 style stock for my mossberg.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2012, 01:39:32 AM »
Another vote for the Knoxx. I've got one on my Mossberg 590 and it works as advertised on 3" inch magnum slugs. Adjustable like the M4 stock.
I promise not to duck.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2012, 09:03:23 AM »
I've read that while the "M4" version of the Knoxx stock does reduce recoil on your shoulder, it transfers a lot into your cheek.  Any accuracy to this?
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2012, 09:55:33 AM »
I've read that while the "M4" version of the Knoxx stock does reduce recoil on your shoulder, it transfers a lot into your cheek.  Any accuracy to this?

Maybe, but not that I noticed.  ???

I was dumping out some Brenneke Rottweil 3" magnum slugs at a bowling pin match to see if I could blow up a few of our more used pins on the free-shoot "terrrorist alley" side we set up for folks waiting their turn for a timed match.

You know that semi-sore kind of bruised feeling your shoulder pocket gets after a long day of shooting, or a short day of heavy recoil loads? Yeah... didn't have that at all. I'm not a particularly recoil-averse person. I like mucking about with my $99 Mosin Nagant M44 etc. Or my FR-8 7.62 carbine. And this really made magnum slugs an all-day proposition, assuming you could afford that many slugs...
I promise not to duck.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2012, 01:51:26 PM »
The Knoxx Spec Ops recoil-reducing stock does indeed work as advertised.  Problem is, it has a good chance of truly FUBARing your cheek weld/eyeball/bll alignment.  I'd suggest shouldering an 870 with the stock in the gun shop, first.  I am one of those who can not use the Spec Ops stock...but the folding Copstock or Spec Ops folder is OK.

Other options include short LOP stocks or a wood stick cut to fit.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2012, 02:36:24 PM »
The Knoxx Spec Ops recoil-reducing stock does indeed work as advertised.  Problem is, it has a good chance of truly FUBARing your cheek weld/eyeball/bll alignment.  I'd suggest shouldering an 870 with the stock in the gun shop, first.  I am one of those who can not use the Spec Ops stock...but the folding Copstock or Spec Ops folder is OK.

Other options include short LOP stocks or a wood stick cut to fit.

Ah... I've got Ghost Ring irons on my 590... Yeah, if you're going for a traditional bead/barrel/rib shotgun sight picture, it might push you too high.
I promise not to duck.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2012, 11:10:02 PM »
Youth stock. I would think you could find one at Numrich or one of the other online places pretty easy.

I used to have an 870 youth model, got swiped, everyone loved it. Kids could shoot it, woman could shoot it and I just enjoyed taking it out with a short slug barrel.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2012, 08:46:15 AM »
If you don't want a pistol grip shotgun stock, Blackhawk makes a recoil-reducing straight stock.

http://www.blackhawk.com/product/CompStock-Shotgun-Stock,1155,165.htm

Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?