Author Topic: What are you living for?  (Read 3598 times)

SpookyPistolero

• friend
Re: What are you living for?
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2007, 05:42:53 PM »
Much of my effort is expended in ducking the wrath of SWMBO, who has become caustic and incendiary in recent months.

Not sure if it's a chemical imbalance, attitudinal or behavioral anomaly, or just visceral hatred.  The woman just ain't right, she's pretty p!ssed off at what she's experiencing in the wider world, and it's USUALLY directly or indirectly MY fault. 

You know, Global Warming, unseasonally wet weather, high gas prices, no strong leader emerging as president to lead us to safe haven financially and with regard to terrorism...

Yep, I did all that.  rolleyes

And me not working since she INSISTED that I get the bad hip replaced RIGHT NOW, not later...leaving her unable to take a "girls' vacation" cruise with her buddies...

Uh huh.  My bad.  angry undecided

Maybe someday I'll fix all these problems I have created.
Heaven help me. rolleyes

Between second hand stories like this and the 'talk' I had with my girlfriend today (concerning how my lack of attendence at any church would make me a bad potential father) I'm really beginning to rethink getting married as a life goal. Being single with lots of money and no people chained to me who are blaming me for their life sounds much less hellish.

I've been in a bit of an existential funk myself lately. School absorbs my life in its totality. I'm either at school, or work, or studying. Or worrying about failing out of school. I'm not even in love with the end result (retail pharmacy) that is achieved, unless I get another graduate degree to do something different (more school, more delay of 'life'). It's hard when every day is filled with the same junk, same worries. Especially hard when there are consistent insurmountable problems. 

I do agree with Winston Smith. I love Ayn Rand's writings and try to live out such ideals. To simply live right now, as 'now' is all that's real. To enjoy everything I do because it means I'm alive. Most of those things seem to get drowned out by the day-to-day, sadly.

A big drive for me is to also learn as much as I can (depressingly hindered as my time is wholly consumed by school). I read as much as I can, and foster as many new skills as I can like bushcraft skills or writing, etc.

It sounds trite, but I think finding a new hobby that you're passionate about would be a big key in feeling better about life.  Just to be out experiencing something new or something I care about has always helped me. Examples of things I'm wishing I could be involved in are knifemaking, 3-gun, maybe gardening. 

I love spending time with my family, but it's been a long time since I've even gotten to see them.

This too shall pass...
"She could not have reached this white serenity except as the sum of all the colors, of all the violence she had known." - The Fountainhead
"Smoke your pipe and be silent; there's only wind and smoke in the world"  - Irish Proverb

HForrest

« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2007, 10:27:28 PM »
Right now I'm working full-time to save for a decent vehicle before I'm 18 (only slightly above minimum wage, but I get all the money for whatever purpose I want- no financial responsibilities). I'm not sure what I'll do when I'm 18, but I'm considering my options career-wise. I might go to school, might not. I'm seriously looking at aviation; that's a real possibility.

Nightfall

• friend
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2007, 08:48:24 AM »
Right now, I'm just kinda waiting. Enduring, really. We'll see in a couple months what I'm living for, if anything.
It is difficult if not impossible to reason a person out of a position they did not reason themselves into. - 230RN

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2007, 01:50:30 PM »
Looks like none of us is looking to be a world-beater. Wink

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2007, 01:58:33 PM »
TO be able to stock up again before the new awb's take effect.
I sold everything I had due to legal and work problems.
it's really depressing
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

mattw

• friend
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2007, 02:02:53 PM »
I thought about why I am living a few times.

Other than the fact that I love my fiancee and my being alive makes her happy and by her being happy I am, in turn, happy...

...I am living for the chance to die.

Right now the one driving force in my life is my pursuit of a comission as a 2Lt in the USMC. I am in the process of completing my application to the PLC program. I have my second PFT coming up in a week and I feel that I am prepared but I could be in better shape. My life revolves around my fiancee and my PT. School and work take a back seat to the woman and the Corps.

When I say I am living for the chance to die I don't mean it morbidly, but thats the facts of being a leader of Marines. Maybe I'll make it to OCS and TBS, maybe I won't... but right now I'm living to have a chance at earning the privelage to lead Marines into battle.

Remington788

• friend
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2007, 03:03:25 PM »
My 14 month old daughter.