Author Topic: What do you think that the next great medical advance will be?  (Read 7512 times)

MicroBalrog

• friend
Re: What do you think that the next great medical advance will be?
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2008, 05:43:29 AM »
Reversal of the aging process.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2008, 05:44:02 AM »
They'll finally be able to put functional brains in Democrats....

Well, one can hope.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2008, 06:07:56 PM »
They could do that right now, Mike, but they have to remove all that smugness at the same time, and the strain on the patient is too high.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2008, 06:15:35 PM »
I'm waiting for someone to make a USB port for my head...

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2008, 06:29:03 PM »
Blow your nose, then try again.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2008, 08:42:28 PM »
What a bunch of anti-scientific fundies.  Listen up, you Bible-thumpers.  There will be no new cures unless we start killing embryos for their stem cells.  Duh.  Why don't any of you mention that?  And we won't start to care for the sick until the moment that we elect The One.

Anti-geriatrics...

Unfortunately no government in its right mind would ever allow such a thing to be released to the proles - too many people on the planet already.

Did you miss the part where the govt. allowed life spans to increase by about thirty years, last century?  Besides, I thought that population bomb stuff was all junk science, anyway.  The more developed nations are slowing down or leveling off in population growth, too. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2008, 12:36:35 AM »
Just remember.

The longer we live

The longer we have to pay taxes  laugh
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2008, 05:46:58 AM »
Just remember.  The longer we live, the longer we have to pay taxes.

To be precise, the longer we live naturally, the longer we have to pay taxes to subsidize the synthetic life-extending treatments given free to the "disadvantaged" class of citizens as defined by the government.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2008, 01:17:48 PM »
Didn't the US goobermint try something like (eugenics - ed) that in the 1920's/30's?

It lasted until 1981.  (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compulsory_sterilization#cite_note-8)

Dntsycnt

• friend
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2008, 01:43:42 PM »
How about personal genome sequencing for $399?

http://blog.wired.com/wiredscience/2008/09/23andme-cuts-it.html

It was just cut from $999.

https://www.23andme.com/

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2008, 07:18:27 PM »
Anti-geriatrics...

Unfortunately no government in its right mind would ever allow such a thing to be released to the proles - too many people on the planet already.

Of course that won't keep our masters from getting the stuff and living 2 or 3 hundred years.

It's been calculated that if disease and aging could be eliminated, and all the deaths were from violence/accidents, Americans would leave for 1554 years on average.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2008, 04:05:51 AM »
Quote from: Dntsycnt
How about personal genome sequencing for $399?

That's actually part of my first idea.  Still, the thing with your personal genome sequencing is that we still don't know what exactly most of those genes do, much less how they interact.

What I was looking for was things you'd consider a 'revolution', IE a change in the way we do Medical treatment.  Things like how anethesia revolutionalized surgury.  Anti-rejection drugs allowed transplants.  Penecillion and vaccines allowed enabled us to save thousands, even millions of lives that would have otherwise been lost to disease.

Targeting drug treatments by gene profile/blood work would enable us to determine if Patient X will have bad side effects from Drug A or B, which will treat the problem better, while skipping the 'just try it' stage.  Targeted treatments of bacterial infections with phages will reduce/eliminate the problem of drug resistant infections.

Cloned organs would eliminate the shortage of donated ones we eternally have, and if we can use a patient's own cells, the substantial expense of having to take immunosuppressive drugs for the rest of their life.

It's been calculated that if disease and aging could be eliminated, and all the deaths were from violence/accidents, Americans would leave for 1554 years on average.

Do you have a cite for that?  Last time I attempted to calc it I came out with 900-1000 for median* lifespan.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2008, 04:38:00 AM »
Y'all got it wrong.  The next big advancement will be SOCIALIZED MEDICINE.  Uncle Obama told me so. 

And then there will be no more advancments becasue there will be no profit in it.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Firethorn

• friend
« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2008, 04:58:09 AM »
What do you know...

Tailoring Treatments To Patients' Genetics

Happened to hear it on NPR.  They were talking about customizing drug/dosage to your genetics for more effective treatment.

A couple of related articles:
Gene Test Promises to Find Right Drug, Right Dose
How Can Genetic Research Improve Cancer Treatments?

Looks like choice #1 might win out, seeing as how I haven't heard about a true cloned organ other than skin yet.

onebigelf

« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2008, 05:26:31 AM »
A complete new line of anti-viral vaccines based on isolating the proteins that viral infections produce that actually stimulate the body's immuno-response and then splicing that protein into insect viruses that will not replicate in the human body, but retain a virus' ability to penetrate the cell wall.  This instead of the standard procedure of using attenuated versions of the virus itself.  AMRIID is producing some prototypes already.  They have a working vaccine for South American Hemorrhagic Fever.  Look for HIV and other viruses to be preventable within the next decade.

John

Firethorn

• friend
« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2008, 05:52:19 AM »
This instead of the standard procedure of using attenuated versions of the virus itself.

Nice....