Author Topic: I think my girlfriend is that little cartoon devil on my shoulder  (Read 7509 times)

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
Tonight we stopped at a gun shop so I could get my fix.  They had some really good prices on Para guns.  I looked at one, liked it a lot, but decided to pass, even though the price was good.  We left.  We weren't three miles away before she had convinced me to go back and get it.

http://www.para-usa.com/new/product_pistol_large.php?id=4

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: I think my girlfriend is that little cartoon devil on my shoulder
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2008, 01:02:52 AM »
That's the LTC?  I've been lusting for one ever since they came out (but I want the steely version.) 

Tell us how it works for ya. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2008, 01:04:49 AM »
Yep, LTC Alloy version.  It's nice and light.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2008, 01:15:26 AM »
But it's a 1911.

*runs*

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2008, 01:44:44 AM »
Which makes it the AWESOME!   :police:

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2008, 03:28:09 AM »
Totally awesome!

A Commander clone, sans the silly Para LDA/no hammer shenanigans, carried Cocked and Locked like John Moses Browning (PBUH) intended. 

Good on ya! 

Pay no attention to Manedwolf - he wouldn't know the value or utility of a 1911 if it bit him in the posterior. ;)
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2008, 03:41:03 AM »
Is that a real 1911 and not a fatbody?
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2008, 03:41:58 AM »
It probably wouldn't be politically correct to suggest shooting a posterior...

So I won't... much...
Blog under construction

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2008, 03:17:58 PM »
Totally awesome!

A Commander clone, sans the silly Para LDA/no hammer shenanigans, carried Cocked and Locked like John Moses Browning (PBUH) intended. 

Good on ya! 

Pay no attention to Manedwolf - he wouldn't know the value or utility of a 1911 if it bit him in the posterior. ;)

I've fired 1911s. They felt..outdated, and the idea of cocked and locked seemed downright archaic. Like I might as well be carrying around a Webley Mk VI or something.

Sorry, I just don't get the enthusiasm for such an old design, when there's been so many advances. I'll take my SIG P220 anyday.

To each their own. :)
« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 03:21:37 PM by Manedwolf »

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2008, 03:55:34 PM »
I've fired 1911s. They felt..outdated, and the idea of cocked and locked seemed downright archaic. Like I might as well be carrying around a Webley Mk VI or something.

Sorry, I just don't get the enthusiasm for such an old design, when there's been so many advances. I'll take my SIG P220 anyday.

To each their own. :)
Sometimes what passes for advancement is just a step backwards.  When it comes to trigger pulls, that's definitely the case.  The "archaic" cocked and locked system is far easier to shoot than any of the "advanced" DAO and DA/SA systems they use on "modern" handguns.

Newer != better.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2008, 04:31:58 PM »
Like I might as well be carrying around a Webley Mk VI or something.

As long as it's one of the .45 Webley's, I wouldn't mind at all.  I think they're cool.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2008, 04:38:50 PM »
One day I hope to find another Norinco 1911 for $350 like I did in 2000 but didn't buy. :(

Chris

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2008, 09:01:05 PM »
One day I hope to find another Norinco 1911 for $350 like I did in 2000 but didn't buy. :(

The Rock Island Armory GI model is only a little bit more expensive, and they seem pretty good for the price. 

Is that a real 1911 and not a fatbody?

Single stack, 7-8 rounds.  The LTC is pretty much like any other modernized 1911, other than its Power Extractor.  It has a ramped barrel, and I think a full-length guide rod, also. 

Sorry, I just don't get the enthusiasm for such an old design, when there's been so many advances.

Then why all the enthusiasm for FALs and 1911 rifles, and such?  ???  But then, I guess I just don't get it, because I don't know what "outdated" feels like.   :lol: 

How can cocked and locked carry be "archaic"?  Revolvers aren't carried cocked and locked.   =|  "Archaic" and "out-dated" are matters of opinion in this case. 

Single action has always seemed simpler and more intuitive to me, for an auto-pistol, any-hoo.  Like you said, we each have our preferences. 
« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 09:09:21 PM by Mr. Tactical pants »

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2008, 09:09:29 PM »
Then why all the enthusiasm for FALs and 1911 rifles, and such?  ???  But then, I guess I just don't get it, because I don't know what "outdated" feels like.   :lol: 

Not for carry! I have Tokarevs as well, but I wouldn't carry them! They're curiosities. I've also got a Detonics Combat Master, don't carry that either. I just see a single-action pistol as very dated for carry, and cocked and locked still seems like it's an accident waiting to happen, dunno. Yes, I know there's a grip safety, but still. (The Detonics does not have one, which is why I would never, EVER carry it.)

Yeah, yeah, I know, single action is more accurate than a DA first, that's why I carry what I carry, which is SA for every shot without being SA.

I just don't understand the enthusiasm for them, that's all.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2008, 09:30:08 PM »
The Rock Island Armory GI model is only a little bit more expensive, and they seem pretty good for the price. 

Based on what I've read, the Norinco is made of unusually good steel considering it's origins, which is why it was such a good deal when they were cheap and available.

Chris

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2008, 09:33:17 PM »
Based on what I've read, the Norinco is made of unusually good steel considering it's origins, which is why it was such a good deal when they were cheap and available.

Chris

I have heard that at well, which is ironic, since the Norinco Tokarev clones were very soft steel that peened quickly.

But then, the Norinco MAK is a very good, well-fitted AK, and the Polytech "386" even moreso. Go fig. :)

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2008, 09:43:01 PM »
Not a <gunnery sgt. hartman> disgusting fatbody! </gunnery sgt hartman>
I also have an RIA GI 1911.  It's about as close as you can get to a basic M1911A1, except for the flat main spring housing.  Shoots good, pretty reliable.  Chokes on big flat hollow points, but it might just need some breaking in.  100% reliable with 230 gr ball, which is all I shoot anyway.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2008, 12:38:50 AM »
At one time, I owned 4 of the Norinco 1911A1 clones, and purchased them for $219.95 each through an Air Force owned FFL, no less.  That caused the McClellan AFB MWR to have to fill out the multiple purchase paperwork, but there was no real problem. Obviously, this was before the Clinton-administration push to get rid of kitchen-table FFLs. 

I bought them on the advise of the late Armand Swenson, who told me the forged steel used in them was every bit as good as, if not better than, the Colt and Springfield Inc. 1911 variants of the day.  That was good enough for me.  My own 1911-smith called the steel in the Norinco "hard as the hubs of hell".  He went through a few dovetail cutters in the mill when doing Bo-Mar cuts in my guns, and named my IPSC/carry 1911A1 a "Gook Cup", as a jab at the Colt Gold Cup along with damning praise for how the Kart-barreled Norinco performed in competition. 

Armand was right (when wasn't he?), and it wasn't too much later than folks like Ed Brown and Jim Clark Sr. started using the Norinco 1911s for full-custom guns.    As a matter of fact, a LOT of the custom race and carry guns done by some of the better-known names used the Norinco as the basis for their conversions, because they were that good, and also quite reasonable in price compared to Colt and Springfield Inc.     
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2008, 02:41:07 AM »
I just see a single-action pistol as very dated for carry, and cocked and locked still seems like it's an accident waiting to happen, dunno. Yes, I know there's a grip safety, but still.

I just don't understand the enthusiasm for them, that's all.

No, that's not all.  You're also making up silly reasons why they are objectively inferior to something that was invented later.  Invented later does not mean better.  "Cocked and locked" does not mean "about to go off without warning."  (Besides, many of them have new-fangled passive safeties added to the design.)

that's why I carry what I carry, which is SA for every shot without being SA.

You mean DAO?  DAO are the furthest thing from SA, I don't care what Jeff Cooper says. 

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2008, 02:56:37 AM »
You mean DAO?  DAO are the furthest thing from SA, I don't care what Jeff Cooper says. 

Ugh, no. DAO is a nice way to pull your shot off target every time. I do terrible with DAO.

I've mentioned what I carry, the P7. Because it's only cocked when you squeeze the grip, the first shot and every shot are crisp and light trigger SA. The only downside to it is that the gas system makes it very hot after two mags, which only affects practicing.

For a .45, I much prefer the SIG decocker. Rack slide, decock, holster. The hammer is not actually in contact with anything, it's just above it when decocked. When it actually hits, it rebounds to that position. AFAIK, the 1911 is not safe to carry chambered and with the hammer lowered? Plus if you slip while doing that, it would fire, at least that was my impression with models I'd tried?

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2008, 02:58:09 AM »
I believe on most 1911s, that is correct.  Carry it cocked and locked, or with an empty chamber.  Lowering the hammer onto a live round seems like a really, really bad idea.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2008, 03:12:42 AM »
I picked up that Detonics Combat Master as a collectible because it was priced far too cheap in error, but that one rather scares me.

It's a mini 1911, yes. Supposedly quite reliable. But the grip safety is nonfunctional by design.

So if you have that thing in a holster, if the tiny safety it has gets bumped off safe, it's going to go off quite easily. How did people carry those things? They were supposedly popular with detectives in the early 80's...

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2008, 03:14:27 AM »
The Hi-Power has no grip safety.  I carried my single action CZ-75 a few times, no grip safety.  Safety stayed on, no new holes in my body.  But yeah, that Detonics is a tiny little gun.  Really cool.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2008, 03:33:22 AM »
So if you have that thing in a holster, if the tiny safety it has gets bumped off safe, it's going to go off quite easily. How did people carry those things?
What?  Guns fire themselves?  Perhaps they pull their own triggers, just for spite? 

I know your gun education didn't come from the Brady Bunch, so what gives?  You know that gun is not going to go off quite easily, not unless you pull the trigger.  And you're not going to pull the trigger, because you know how to safely handle a firearm.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 03:37:07 AM by Headless Thompson Gunner »