Author Topic: Well, that was not fun.  (Read 7510 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Well, that was not fun.
« on: January 22, 2009, 09:50:25 AM »
It you want some excitement on a Saturday night, at about 3:30am walk into the ambulance entrance (not the public entrance) of your local hospital.  Screw up you face into a very pained expression, grab your chest and loudly gasp “I think I’m having a heart attack !”  Extra double plus bonus points if you then drop to your knees and scream in agony.  That really makes their eyes turn into saucer plates.

In the .57 milliseconds it takes for 7-8 medical type folks sitting behind the counter to leap over it and grab you, they will, on the fly, strip you down to your socks, give you a couple of injections, hook you up to an EKG, start a couple of IV’s, take your pulse/BP and other vitals, each staffer will ask, in turn, if your allergic to anything, and take a complete medical history, all this before your butt hits the gurney.   

Needless to say, I am impressed with the quality of care at Central DuPage Hospital. 

At about the 20 minute mark, I was under sedation in the Cat Lab and had two stents installed in my LAD.  Yep, I had had an MI or what’s commonly called a Heart Attack.

How did this happen you ask ??  Well, at 3:06am I awoke with the sensation that the Pepperoni and Onion Pizza (Extra Onions) we had had for dinner had decided to reverse course.  So I had a slight burning sensation in my chest.   Head off to the bathroom to dump the bladder and then into the kitchen and drink a glass of Cherry flavored Crystal Light, thinking that if I can just wash the recalcitrant pizza back down, I’ll be able to get some more sleep.   I don’t have acid reflux, but there have been times when that Spicy Burrito with the extra Flamin’ sauce has decided that it will pay back my innards for being et.

Well, the burning sensation isn’t really going away as I head back to bed to lay down.   Then at 3:18 this elephant decides to walk in my bedroom and sit on my chest. Oooottffffff. 

Roll over and poke the misses a couple of times.  “I don’t feel so good.  I think I need to go to the hospital.”   And I grab a pair of socks and my boots and start lacing them on.  Now, this is Chicago, it’s winter.  I sleep in a sweat shirt and sweat pants.  Mrs. Scout is in the Snowman flannel pajamas I got her for Christmas.  Yep, after 21 years of marriage, the romance flame is burnin’ hot here at Festung Scout. 

Now she gets up and heads into the bathroom as I head out into the garage.   Get in the passenger side of the Pigmobile (aka Mrs. Scout’s car, as named by your truly since the kids never remove anything from her car once it enters.)  Hit the door opener button, and start it up.  I had grabbed the key off the hook on my way out. 

At this point, the rest of the elephant family decides that since the first one is having so much fun on my chest, they’re gonna join the party.  And they’ve brought a M1- Abrams, an Iowa class battleship and a small moon.

I love my wife.  She is a tender, caring mother; a loving, devoted spouse; and an excellent Neonatal Nurse.  She is, however, completely and utterly useless in a crisis, especially one involving a loved a one.  The only place for her to be when things go bad is not anywhere near.

I head back into the house to find out what the hold up is.  Mrs. Scout is in the bedroom changing out of the Snowman pajamas.  This simply won’t do.  Using what the Army refers to as  “Command Voice”.  I gaspingly announce that if she doesn’t come RIGHT NOW !!! I WILL DRIVE MYSELF TO THE HOSPITAL !!!  This gets her attention.  Apparently when I had initially poked her I had not properly conveyed the gravity of the situation.  This announcement also wakes up my daughter.  She is a dear, sweet kid.  Teaches Sunday school classes to first graders.  Volunteers after school to help disabled and handicapped children.  She is also the only person worse then my wife in a emergency.   So now I managed to activate the full blown estrogen panic system.

Okay, some of you want to know “Hey moron, why not call 911 ?”  I thought about that right before I initially poked Mrs. Scout.  The hospital is 4.2 miles from our home. Turn left, then right then right again to get there.  The fire station is 1.9 miles from our home ON THE WAY TO Hospital.  Yes, to get to the hospital from our house, you literally drive past the fire station.  I had figured that by the time the 911 routed the call, dispatched the ambulance (if they were at the fire house), and it made it over to our house, I would already be at the hospital.   

Needless to say, I’ve taken some grief for that decision, however Mrs. Scout agrees that her driving me there saved time.  However, it blew her nerves all to hell, as she informs me that extremely hard be speeding and running red lights on potentially ice covered roads when your significant other is screaming in pain in the seat next to you.   I’ll take her word for it.  Fine.  Next time we'll try the ambulance....

Anyway recovery is going well.  I actually feel pretty good and am spending the next 7-10 days on jury duty, as I had been selected last Wednesday.  The way I figure it, is that I’d much rather be sitting at the courthouse with whole bunch of CPR/First Aid trained deputies (I bet that some might even be EMT’s) that's right around the corner from the fire station and about a mile and half from the Hospital, then sitting at home with no one around, just in case something bad happens.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 09:59:44 AM by scout26 »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

jamz

• friend
  • bleem
Re: Well, that was not fun.
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2009, 09:53:37 AM »
Yikes!!  Very glad to hear you are okay!
Everybody loves Magical Trevor

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 10:05:14 AM »
Wow -- glad you made it through that okay Scout! Best wishes that all goes well.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2009, 10:16:32 AM »
Whew! My cat suddenly looks a lot more capable.

I'm glad you're still among the living.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2009, 10:29:12 AM »
And they’ve brought a M1- Abrams, an Iowa class battleship and a small moon.
That's no moon...
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

Nightfall

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2009, 11:29:35 AM »
Dang, good to hear you're alright!
It is difficult if not impossible to reason a person out of a position they did not reason themselves into. - 230RN

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2009, 11:42:19 AM »
wow!  thank you for reminding me of a shtf situation that i might wanna discuss and plan for  one way likelier than some i've overthought
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2009, 11:46:55 AM »
glad your all right scout.

"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2009, 12:38:05 PM »
Speaking as the former paramedic here, the next time this happens, I recommend immediately chewing and swallowing four baby aspirin and calling 911.  In your jurisdiction, the paramedic unit may be able to start administering TPA or other vital drugs right there in the field before you even get to the hospital.  Time is myocardium, and the quicker effective treatment is given, the better the outcome.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2009, 12:52:36 PM »
Scout, prepare to be briefly yelled at.

First, good job on recognizing the fact that you were, in fact, having a Real Medical Emergencytm.  Good on ya for recognizing that the slight burning sensation was a little odd, and then once the elephant copped a squat on your pectorals, good on ya for not saying, "oh, it's just a little heartburn."  It's quite likely that if you had taken such a course of action (as many men do) Mrs. Scout would be making funeral arrangements this morning, instead of trying to recover from your attempts to kill her while running red lights at high rates of speed on icy roads.

Seriously, I'm glad that you're (mostly) ok :).  But now I'm gonna take off my friendly forum member hat, and put on my pissed-off EMT hat.

I'm not pissed off because you deprived a crew of a good run last night.  Matter of fact, I'm sure they appreciated the ability to sleep.  I'm not completely pissed off because you encouraged your wife to drive in a reckless manner (although that's part of it) that would put most drunk drivers to shame.  I will agree that driving you to the hospital probably saved a little bit of time in getting you to the hospital.  However, it did NOT save you time in getting your ticker taken care of.  The days of Johnny and Roy on Squad 51 are long gone my friend.  If you lived next door to the hospital, you might have saved time in getting your ticker worked on.  However, short of the roto-rooter treatment you got, there's very few things that can be done in an Emergency Room that can't be done in the back of the ol' b'ambulance.  Matter of fact, many jurisdictions now refer to a paramedic-staffed ambulance as an MICU.  That would be Mobile Intensive Care Unit.  While I'm not exactly familiar with what your ambulances carry, let me briefly tell you what would have happened in our jurisdiction.  

The 911 call?  That would have taken about 20 seconds to triage and dispatch.  Yep.  We would have gotten your address, your phone #, your age, and your chief complaint.  Chest pain is a magical pair of words that gets everybody woken up about 20 seconds after the phone is answered.  2 minutes later, a fire engine and an ambulance are screaming their way your direction with lights, sirens, bells and whistles.  3-5 minutes later, 5 or 6 well trained people will come barging into your home, and the rest of the procedure will go pretty much exactly like what happened when you stumbled into the ER.  

Now here's where the fun stuff starts.  We will hook you up to a monitor.  A paramedic will take about 5 seconds to look at the ekg and say, "yep, you've definitely got a messed-up-heart."  Then the rodeo really takes off.  We're gonna get you in a somewhat comfortable position, and 3 people will be attacking you all at once.  One will put an oxygen mask on you and crank the flow all the way up.  While that's happening, another will tell you to open your mouth, lift your tongue, and then give you a squirt of nitroglycerin right under your tongue.  Those two things are gonna cause a couple of changes in your heart right away.  Your heart is not gonna have to work as hard, because your blood is going to be 100% oxygenated instead of 92-95%.  Trust me, that 5-8% makes a huge difference.  Second, your blood vessels are gonna dilate.  That makes it easier for the heart to pump blood, therefore further reducing the oxygen demand that those poor little oxygen starved cardiac muscle cells have.  That's gonna slow down the speed at which your heart is actively dying.  Meanwhile, another medic is getting an iv started, probably in the big vein on the inside of your elbow.  That's a big vein, and he's gonna use a pretty good size IV catheter.  It's gonna hurt a little, but you probably won't notice it over the pain in your chest that is right now, hopefully subsiding a little bit between the oxygen and the nitro.  Sadly, you're going to start noticing a really pounding headache, and that's a side effect of the nitro.  Don't worry, the headache won't kill you.  The chest pain will.  On your other arm, someone will be checking your blood pressure.  If it's still above 100 systolic, we're gonna give you another nitro spray.  You're also gonna get to chew up 4 baby aspirin.  Again, this is to reduce the strain on your heart.  Aspirin is a blood thinner, and if your blood is thinner, a) it will make your blood easier to pump, and b) some blood might be able to sneak past the blockage that caused this whole mess to start with.  Finally, about 3-4 minutes after the medics got there, you're gonna get a little bit of morphine in that IV.  Now, this is not so much to reduce the sensation of pain you're feeling.  It actually helps to further dilate blood vessels and reduce cardiac workload.  However, the reduction in pain sensation also helps to reduce anxiety, which also further reduces cardiac workload 'cause you quit dumping adrenaline into your system.  

Now is when the cool stuff actually happens that is pretty new.  We're gonna hook you up to a 12-lead ECG.  This used to require huge, bulky machines at hospitals to accomplish.  Now, our portable ECG machines can do the same thing.  It's going to look at the electrical activity of your heart from 12 different angles.  It's gonna crunch that for us, and give us a pretty good idea of what's happening in your heart.  "Congratulations Scout, you're having a heart attack!"  The even cooler part, is that we're then gonna transmit that ECG to the hospital.  The interventional cardiologist is gonna take a look at that, and they're gonna have the Cath Lab all prepped and ready to go for your arrival.  We're gonna run you code-3 to the hospital.  Total time from calling 911 to transporting?  Less than 10 minutes.  5 or so minutes later, we're gonna wheel you into the hospital.  But we're not gonna stop in the ER.  Nope.  We're gonna take you directly up to that Cath Lab that's been prepped just for your arrival.   And that means that you're getting the roto-rooter even sooner than if you'd had your wife drive you in.

What's the lesson here folks?  If you're having a Real Medical Emergencytm, your loved one may be able to get you to the hospital quicker than waiting for us to drive you there.  BUT, we can get you medical treatment much more quickly than driving yourself to the hospital.
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2009, 12:59:00 PM »
AD, do you guys administer TPA or hypothermia in the field in Portland?

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2009, 01:17:37 PM »
Nope.  Our transport times are so short that our Medical Director feels it's better to let the cardiologist make the call on thrombolytics, etc.  In most of Portland, you're no more than 10 minutes from a hospital.  And they almost all have Cath Labs now.  :)  We're trying to get a protocol change for our rural areas in Clackamas County, but even those have a transport time of less than 30 minutes in most cases.

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2009, 01:36:32 PM »
Wow, alot of info here.  Glad you are ok.  You did not cause any snickering when they stripped you nekkid did you........I was an EMT back in the late 70s and things sure have changed since then.....chris3

myrockfight

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2009, 02:02:00 PM »
Ambulance Driver,

Thanks for that walk-through. I'm only 30, but I now understand how important it is to call 911 instead of taking care of it yourself in this type of situation.

Scout,

I'm glad you're o.k. My Dad ended up having a triple bypass when he went into the hospital after eating dinner out. The hospital was only 3 blocks away, so he just drove there himself. He didn't tell my mother what was happening at all and she had to get a call from the hospital at the house because he didn't mention that anything was wrong at all. This was just to keep her from worrying, I'm sure, but she can handle herself in an emergency situation. She used to be an R.N.

One of Many

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2009, 03:04:44 PM »
What sort of medications can be administered in place of Aspirin, for those who are allergic to Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs? Some people with Asthma can not take NSAIDs without having a massive breathing problem. I never hear of any substitute when the advice is being given on how to respond to a heart attack.

mfree

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2009, 03:29:45 PM »
Glad to hear you're doing ok, Scout.

Mine was the best "not actually a heart attack" heart attack the cardiologist had ever seen.

I'd started to call in to work that day 'cause I woke up sweating with some *wild* stomach cramps. I got egged into going (young college student still at home) anyways, and it had subsided somewhat so off I went with a tiny bit of breakfast in me.

About 11 I realized I still felt like crap, my left hand was tingling a bit and my fingernails were a wee bit bluish. Got up, told the nearest convenient co-worker that I'm going to the hospital, and drove across the street (how convenient). And you're absolutely right, when the nurses hear that list of symptoms, things start to happen in a hurry*. EKG, nitro, Cardo said "yup, looks like an MI" and off to the cath lab I went for a flurocopy.

*after* they had my femoral artery open and my heart glowing on a screen is when things went wierd... for the doctors. What was a spot-on MI on the EKG ended up being nice, big, 100% clear vessels on the fluroscope. I think they had to deliberate on it a bit 'cause when they came back 2 hours later they had me ultrasounded and that's when they figured out I was a couple steps from basically hydraulic lock.... acute pericarditis, probably viral. The sac around my heart was full of fluid and had a death grip on everything. I'd had the flu a week or so before this and that was the likely cause.

After some painkillers and diuretics, and an overnight observation, I was good to go (except for the plugged femoral, limped for a good while). The only thing that really cheesed me off about the whole experience was the doc pretty much insisting I had to be a cokehead. Though I can see his point, not too many 22 year olds end up in his office with MIs.

*healthy 22 year old me wouldn't normally say "Hey, I think I'm having a heart attack" but I've always been aware of heart issues because for as long as I can remember, if I get dehydrated my heart starts skipping beats.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2009, 05:48:07 PM »
good to hear you survived. you were wise to act, as denial is one of the biggest killers.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2009, 06:22:15 PM »
Scout,

From one MI victim to another - glad to hear you made it.

Sad to say, you missed one of the better moments that seems to come after the elephant & friends take up residence -- the opportunity to hold three hundred eleventy-nine quazillion volts of electricity without rubber gloves.  Someone suggested it was merely "pain radiating up my arm."  "Radiating," my Aunt Fanny's petunias!

Glad to hear you are well enough to be released.  You might want to discuss with those nice deputies any concerns you may have about their ability to respond to any slight twinges you could feel during your stint on jury duty.  They may well discuss your recent "event" with the man in the black bathrobe with an eye to asking you to not serve on a jury just yet.  (Not that you are not now perfectly healthy enough to do so.)

Let's hope that your rotorooting was suficient to put you back in the "healthy" column.  We do want to know your numbers - LDL, HDL, triglicerides (overall, large & small) and what meds you are now swallowing on a regular basis.

Stay away from bypass surgery if you can.  If it turns out you need it, just remember to watch out for the "cough" lady (AKA Respiratory Therapist) who will come to see you no later than 2 days after they staple you back together.  If you see her, kill her!  She's planning to shove a cinderblock disguised as a little fuzzy heart-shaped pillow into your midsection.  Danger!  Danger!

In closing, let me, as a patron of the services provided by our ambulance driving/riding friends, echo what they have said -  next time, call 911.  You'll get better care faster and avoid the stress on the family,

stay safe.

skidmark
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2009, 07:08:03 PM »
What sort of medications can be administered in place of Aspirin, for those who are allergic to Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs? Some people with Asthma can not take NSAIDs without having a massive breathing problem. I never hear of any substitute when the advice is being given on how to respond to a heart attack.

Well, the reason they recommend aspirin to people who may be suffering a heart attack is that it is a blood thinner.  So if you're allergic to aspirin, don't take it.  The reason there isn't a substitute recommended is that there really is no substitute.  It's not being given for pain relief, it's being given as a blood thinner.

Racehorse

• friend
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2009, 07:46:47 PM »
Well, the reason they recommend aspirin to people who may be suffering a heart attack is that it is a blood thinner.  So if you're allergic to aspirin, don't take it.  The reason there isn't a substitute recommended is that there really is no substitute.  It's not being given for pain relief, it's being given as a blood thinner.

Doesn't Ibuprofen also thin the blood? Maybe there are other problems with Ibuprofen. I'm just asking.

Bob F.

• friend
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2009, 09:04:52 PM »
Ibuprofen doesn't have near the anti-platelet (thinning, sort of) effect of asprin. But there's Lovenox, plavix, Heparin (not from China), etc. But IF YOU'RE NOT ALLERGIC, asprin is a miracle drug. 4 baby asprin (81mg each) or a regular asprin can decrease the damage from an MI (Myocardial infarction--AKA heart attack) by 30%. That's from an old study when I was still a paramedic maybe 10yrs ago. Now they say 1 baby asprin may be as good as 4.

AD's right! Plus-- what if he quits (as in breathing, pulse)enroute? Every try to do CPR and drive??

Call 911!

Stay safe, and armed, and exercise, and eat right, and QUIT TOBACCO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bob
"I always have my primary weapon, it's right between my ears."

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2009, 09:54:31 AM »
Thanks for the good wishes everyone.  And yes, as I said, next time I'll call for the 'blance.

Aspirin.  Unfortunately we didn't stock any in the house.  Tylenol and Ibuprofen yep, but no aspirin.

Mrs. Scout had called the judge Tuesday and explained the situation so the first thing that happened when I showed for Jury Duty was to get called before the judge who thanked me for showing up and said that if I had any problems not to hesitate (Oh, believe me I won't) if I need anything. 

Someone mentioned Lovenox.   
I have no problem with needles.  In fact until the blood center changed the rules* I was up to 3 gallons and had been donating since I was 16. I went through a year a chemo a little while ago and also spent about year going through weekly blood draws.  You want to stick a needle in me, fine, no biggy.

However, I could never be a junky.  The idea of me sticking my ownself with a needle makes my skin crawl.   I damn near pass out when I try to give myself the Lovenox injections.  It takes me a good 15-20 minutes for me to steel my nerves to do it.  (where's the scared shiver smilie).  I'd rather poke myself in the eyeball with a pointy stick instead.

Tobacco.  I think the last time I had tobacco was 5 years ago at deer camp.  One of the guys brought everyone an expensive, fancy cigar.  That's been it since I quit smoking 15 March 2000. (< one pack a day.)

*(Travel to or residing in Europe for 5 years or more between 1980 and the present. Because of Mad Cow disease.)

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2009, 12:15:51 PM »
I read somewhere that cancer finally has moved ahead of heart disease as the #1 "disease killer" of Americans. I suspect everything in Ambulancedriver's very informative post is why...  :O With the American obesity epidemic ongoing, I can't imagine the incidence of MI's or heart disease is down, only the fatalities.

A question to those who know... In an emergency is there any substantive difference betwen chewing four 81mg low-dose baby*/heart aspirins ASAP and one 325mg regular dose, or 500 extra strength? Besides it tasting nastier, I mean? Do enteric coatings or how finely milled the asprin is make a difference in absorption effectiveness or the speed?

Obviously taking a full strength aspirin instead of an 81mg every day as a preventative is different.

*Calling 81mg low-dose "baby aspirin", or even adding the orange-y fruit flavoring has gotten Bayer and other pharma co.'s sued/fined by the FDA due to the implied Reye's Syndrome risk.
I promise not to duck.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2009, 01:04:12 PM »
AJ, there is no difference in either taking four 81 mg. aspirin tablets or one 325 mg. aspirin tablet.  The important thing is that they must be chewed and swallowed.  The aspirin needs to get into the bloodstream as soon as possible and chewing and swallowing facilitates that.  By the time you chew and swallow it, the powder is so fine, and has dissolved in your saliva, such that how the aspirin is milled makes no difference for this purpose.

If you just swallow a 325 mg. aspirin tablet, or even worse, enteric-coated aspirin, it will take much longer to dissolve and enter the bloodstream.  In the case of enteric-coated aspirin, the enteric coating is designed to prevent dissolving in the stomach and thus it can sometimes take hours for it to enter the intestines, dissolve and fully enter the bloodstream. 

The reason why baby aspirin (and I still call it that) is recommended, is that it is usually flavored and thus far easier to chew and swallow without vomiting.  Some people will vomit upon trying to chew and swallow an unflavored aspirin tablet.  I actually keep baby aspirin in my home, car and office for exactly this purpose.  Cheap insurance, in my view.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 01:07:15 PM by MillCreek »

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2009, 03:58:31 PM »
Scout - Glad to hear you're mostly OK.  Prayers on the way for a full recovery.