Author Topic: Well, that was not fun.  (Read 7509 times)

Regolith

• friend
Re: Well, that was not fun.
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2009, 08:45:17 PM »
Some people will vomit upon trying to chew and swallow an unflavored aspirin tablet.  I actually keep baby aspirin in my home, car and office for exactly this purpose.  Cheap insurance, in my view.

Some people have weak stomachs, I guess....

I have to chew pills because I have difficulty swallowing them whole.  Pretty damn nasty, but it ain't THAT bad....then again, i don't think I've chewed aspirin.  Usually it's ibuprofen or some other pain reliever (though not usually tylenol - for some reason, all of the acetaminophen tablets I've come across are extremely hard to chew, so I usually just get the adult strength liquid stuff instead).
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Uncle Bubba

• friend
  • Billy Fish
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2009, 12:35:50 AM »
Some people have weak stomachs, I guess....

I have to chew pills because I have difficulty swallowing them whole.  Pretty damn nasty, but it ain't THAT bad....then again, i don't think I've chewed aspirin.  Usually it's ibuprofen or some other pain reliever (though not usually tylenol - for some reason, all of the acetaminophen tablets I've come across are extremely hard to chew, so I usually just get the adult strength liquid stuff instead).

You can get a pill-crusher or find/gin up a mortar and pestle, Rego, and not have to put up with the taste.

I've never had a problem swallowing pills so never thought much about how thay might taste. One day a good few years ago I was mixing Slim-Fast and ice in a little blender and thought I'd toss my daily dose of ibuprofen in just for the hell of it. Blaaggh! That was my last ration of diet drink and my breakfast so I choked it down, but was it ever nasty-tasting. Lesson learned.
It's a strange world. Some people get rich and others eat *expletive deleted*it and die. Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Quote from: Fly320s
But, generally speaking, people are idiots outside their own personal sphere.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2009, 01:27:16 AM »

You can get a pill-crusher or find/gin up a mortar and pestle, Rego, and not have to put up with the taste.

Yeah, I probably could, but a cold glass of milk takes care of the taste pretty quick, and I don't do it that often as I only have headaches every once in a while and I usually have a supply of the liquid Tylenol on hand.  I also don't take any other medications, save for antihistamines that come in pills small enough for me to easily swallow.

I wish they'd bring back the chewable Excedrin or Tylenol though.  Much more convenient than chewing normal pills (tastier, too) or hauling around the liquid stuff.   
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2009, 07:26:28 AM »
By the time you chew and swallow it, the powder is so fine, and has dissolved in your saliva, such that how the aspirin is milled makes no difference for this purpose.

So, is the 33mg of caffeine in a BC headache powder (650mg Aspirin) a significant issue, or are they a reasonable substitute for folks with bad teeth? 

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2009, 09:27:18 AM »
Doesn't Ibuprofen also thin the blood? Maybe there are other problems with Ibuprofen. I'm just asking.

No, it doesn't. 

Oh, Scout, glad you're okay. 
« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 09:31:13 AM by BryanP »
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Uncle Bubba

• friend
  • Billy Fish
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2009, 10:07:47 AM »

Nudged by BryanP's aside to Scout:

Scout, I apologize for commenting on a post before acknowledging yours as OP. I thought I had but...well, I plead brain cramps.

Your post reminded me of one of the things I admire about humans, the ability to make light of adversity. I'm glad you're OK now and hope you don't have more problems like that in future. I sympathize with your spousal plight, my wife is of the same usefulness as yours in a crisis, precisely none, but she's great at the comforting required after.

Thanks for the laughs.
It's a strange world. Some people get rich and others eat *expletive deleted*it and die. Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Uncle Bubba

• friend
  • Billy Fish
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2009, 10:08:44 AM »
Yeah, I probably could, but a cold glass of milk takes care of the taste pretty quick, and I don't do it that often as I only have headaches every once in a while and I usually have a supply of the liquid Tylenol on hand.  I also don't take any other medications, save for antihistamines that come in pills small enough for me to easily swallow.

I wish they'd bring back the chewable Excedrin or Tylenol though.  Much more convenient than chewing normal pills (tastier, too) or hauling around the liquid stuff.  

Yeah, wouldn't be cost-effective.

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2009, 01:01:35 PM »
Glad to hear your ticker is still ticking.

Cardiovascular disease scares the hell out of me.
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2009, 03:28:01 AM »
My chest started hurting just reading this.  Glad you're OK.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.