Author Topic: Sub/ship collision pics...  (Read 7503 times)

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Sub/ship collision pics...
« on: March 23, 2009, 01:43:38 PM »
happened last week in the Strait of Hormuz. Pic of the sub damage anyways. The Hartford no less. CT can't stay out of the news for anything these days. With our chimps and gators we've been causing quite a stir already.  ;/

http://op-for.com/
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
Re: Sub/ship collision pics...
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 01:48:29 PM »
There's a bit of a list to that sail. 

It isn't bending over anywhere near as hard as the now-former commander of that U-Boat, though.   :O
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 01:49:33 PM »
Well, yeah, but did the bender bender lead to a shoot-out? Were many innocent bystanders caught in the cross fire?
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 01:52:04 PM »
Between two U.S. ships?

The collision was between the U.S.S. Hartford (attack sub) and U.S.S. New Orleans (Amphibious Assault Ship)

Probably not, although I'd wager the careers of the two skippers involved will be somewhat shortened.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2009, 02:03:30 PM »
Wow, looking at the damage to the sail, this is going to be expensive.  Not just pounding out the dents and calling it good.  I bet they have to cut off the sail, repair it and the underlying structural frames and remount it.  It does not look as if the sub can currently submerge.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2009, 02:06:14 PM »
BTW, did anybody notice that our friend 280 is one post away from 10K?  :O

HankB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2009, 02:11:29 PM »
Unless they were having a joint exercise and the New Orleans suddenly zigged when they should've zagged, most of the cr@p will land on the sub's skipper.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2009, 02:17:23 PM »
Unless they were having a joint exercise and the New Orleans suddenly zigged when they should've zagged, most of the cr@p will land on the sub's skipper.

Ditto.  Why the heck would you be submerged, but still within keel range, in a busy shipping channel?  A Nimitz-class carrier only has a 40 foot draft, and I bet this ship had 20-30 feet.  They've gotta have better tools than periscope for navigating shipping channels...
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2009, 02:18:44 PM »
BTW, did anybody notice that our friend 280 is one post away from 10K?  :O

I can fix that.

=D
One day at a time.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2009, 02:51:38 PM »
Geez... if a little fender-bender like that gets you hauled in before a board of inquiry and forced into early retirement, how did Captians Kirk and Picard keep their commands for so long and through so much?

=D
I promise not to duck.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2009, 02:57:01 PM »
is it a matter of operational security that no one needs to know a nuke sub is in the confines of the strait?

It seems to me they need a redlight to hold the lane open for stealth boats to be stealthy

The navy has had a difficult winter with their new toys getting nerfed up

Besides damaged propellers and sonar dome, the USS Port Royal suffered other damage after running aground on a reef near Honolulu Airport on Feb. 5:

» Both drive shafts and their support struts suffered heavy pressure and twisting.

» Instruments on the ship's underside were damaged.

» Hatches of the vertical launch cells, which hold missiles, were damaged.

» Sand and coral from the reef clogged the Port Royal's waste-water and sea-water ballast systems.

On 5 February 2009, at 9 p.m. the Port Royal ran aground about a half-mile south of the Honolulu International Airport's Reef Runway. The ship had just come out of a dry dock after undergoing maintenance and was undergoing its first sea trials. No one was injured in the incident and no fuel was spilled.
The cruiser, which has a draft of 33 feet, ran hard aground on a sand and rock ledge in an estimated 17 to 22 feet (5–7 m) of water. The salvage ship USNS Salvor made three unsuccessful efforts to pull the Port Royal off the sandbar (Friday, Saturday and Sunday, 6–7–8 February), despite full-moon high tides and the offloading of 200 tons of fuel and water, 7,000 gallons of raw sewage, and 15 tons of crewmembers.[6][7][8]
According to U.S. Pacific Fleet spokespersons in Honolulu, the ship ran aground on Thursday while moving very slowly as it transferred shore-based officials to a smaller boat to take them to shore. An oil recovery ship, the Clean Islands was behind the ship to clean up oil spills. Rear Admiral Dixon R. Smith, the commander of the Navy Region Hawaii and the Naval Surface Group Middle Pacific, embarked the ship on the morning of 6 February to serve as the on-scene commander. [9][10]
On 9 February 2009, the Port Royal was pulled off the rock and sand shoal at around 2 a.m. after crews removed another 500 tons of water and 100 tons of anchors and other equipment to lighten the vessel, the Navy said in a statement. The removal by a salvage ship and seven tug boats took about 40 minutes. No one was injured during the recovery effort, said Rear Adm. Joe Walsh, the U.S. Pacific Fleet deputy commander. Smith relieved the ship's commanding officer, Captain John Carroll, was temporarily relieved of his duties pending investigation. Carroll had been skipper of the Port Royal since October 2008.[11] Captain John Lauer, an official in Smith's Naval Surface Group Middle Pacific, temporarily assumed command.[12]
The warship suffered heavy damage to the underwater bow sonar dome and to its propellers and propeller shafts and was drydocked for repairs. Captain Neil Parrott was assigned to preside over the investigation into the grounding.[7][13]
Once the raw sewage dumped by the ship had dissipated, divers from the Hawai'i Department of Land and Natural Resources examined the site and discovered that the grounding had damaged the coral reef. The Hawaii divers, with help from Navy divers, began mapping the damage to ascertain the extent of work required to repair the coral. As of 12 February 2009, several of the cruiser's propeller blade tips had yet to be recovered from the ocean floor.[14][15][8]
On February 18, the ship entered Dry Dock Number 4 at Pearl Harbor. The Navy estimated that repairs would cost between $25 and $40 million.[16]
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2009, 03:36:10 PM »
Wow, looking at the damage to the sail, this is going to be expensive.  Not just pounding out the dents and calling it good.  I bet they have to cut off the sail, repair it and the underlying structural frames and remount it.  It does not look as if the sub can currently submerge.

As a former Sub sailor it is my estimation that it sucks to be that Skipper.
At the very least in addition to the entire superstructure being removed and replaced, most of the hydraulicaly operated masts probably got bent. Both Periscopes tubes penetrate the pressure hull and will need to be replaced as well as the SONAR array on the front of the sail (under the tarp). The boat was commissioned in 1994. With the current admistration I would not be surprised to see her get decommissioned fixing her will be a very expensive job.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2009, 04:22:09 PM »
Yep, that was a CEM* for the skippers and a CLM** for all the officers on duty at the time....

*CEM - Career Ending Move
**CLM - Career Limiting Move
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2009, 04:35:23 PM »
As a former Sub sailor it is my estimation that it sucks to be that Skipper.
At the very least in addition to the entire superstructure being removed and replaced, most of the hydraulicaly operated masts probably got bent. Both Periscopes tubes penetrate the pressure hull and will need to be replaced as well as the SONAR array on the front of the sail (under the tarp). The boat was commissioned in 1994. With the current admistration I would not be surprised to see her get decommissioned fixing her will be a very expensive job.

So I suspect that the sub will have to come back to the States for a shipyard that can repair it.  If it cannot submerge, I wonder if the Navy will use a lift ship like the Blue or Black Marlin, as they did with the Cole and Roberts

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2009, 04:42:21 PM »
10,000? I guess this would be the one! I hadn't even noticed myself, good thing G caught it or I might have sloughed right through this "momentous" occasion.  :cool:

Send me your email addresses and I'll email the champagne.  =D

Incidentally, the ship I was once on was later decommisioned due to the damage it's sonar dome received after being grounded, so it's possible this will be the case here as well. That thing is TWEAKED!  :laugh:
Avoid cliches like the plague!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2009, 04:45:25 PM »
So I suspect that the sub will have to come back to the States for a shipyard that can repair it.  If it cannot submerge, I wonder if the Navy will use a lift ship like the Blue or Black Marlin, as they did with the Cole and Roberts

Not knowing all the details about the damage it is hard to say but I would NOT want to dive that boat in that condition. Towing may be an option. I don't know the capabilities of the lift ships as far as if they are equiped to babysit a shut down reactor.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2009, 04:49:22 PM »
A little bondo and that will buff right out.

What's the navigable depth(ish) of the Strait?
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2009, 05:18:16 PM »
A little bondo and that will buff right out.

What's the navigable depth(ish) of the Strait?
Shallow...

Like less than 250' in most places.

Having served on an SSN in the late '70s I am surprised that they operate in the straits of Hormuz at all. When we left port we had to have 600' under the keel to dive. Loosened up the rules for war I guess.
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2009, 06:07:35 PM »
Does this mean that the Navy's boat insurance will go up?...or did they get that "accident forgiveness" clause?....

Somebody better call Flo about that....  =D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flo_(Progressive_Insurance)
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2009, 06:33:57 PM »
While you are calling Progressive to see if Allstate will forgive you, did anybody bother to check how much Earl Schieb is going to charge to do the paint job on all the rusted sections?

What kind of stuff do they paint those boats with?  Cause it does not look to be too thick, but where it got rubbed off the saltwater damage seems to be creeping along at a good clip.

As for careers, I doubt that any of the oficers on either boat have much of one left.  Same goes for some of the senior enlisted.  It's a shame.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2009, 06:46:14 PM »
Better call MAACO...
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2009, 01:05:53 AM »
Popped plates at the base of the sail.  Some flooding resulted, no doubt.  Must have been a dicey bit afterwards.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

erictank

• friends
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2009, 11:45:18 PM »
Yep, that was a CEM* for the skippers and a CLM** for all the officers on duty at the time....

*CEM - Career Ending Move
**CLM - Career Limiting Move

The TR had a collision one fine night with one of our accompanying cruisers (Leyte Gulf, IIRC) just before our winter '96 deployment to the Med.  I came off midwatch and racked out, they started drills, including ahead-flank-to-back-emergency-full, and someone on the bridge during that evolution decided to call Leyte Gulf into close-in trailing position, about 1 mile back.  Well, that became a REALLY-close-in trailing position, about contact-distance.  Seems both ships' lookouts were... tired, let's say, and the phone talkers down in the Control Room said they heard a REALLY excited voice shout something about a "pop-up contact aft!" about 10 seconds beforehand.  I remember being woken up by the sound of the Collision alarm, which had been leaned on by mistake by someone a few weeks prior - I thought to myself, "Okay, announce 'Disregard alarm' and let us all get back to-" and the ship shuddered.  Leyte Gulf ended up with a 20-foot-long hole in her bow about 3-4 feet above the waterline, and we lost one of our aft CWIS mounts and had one of the poppet-valves for a main engine damaged - the engine I was Throttleman watchstander for our upcoming Operational Safeguards Reactor Exam, in fact, which sucked royally during said exam about a week later.  Many MILLIONS of dollars of damage to both ships.  Leyte Gulf had to return to port post-haste for repairs, while TR stayed out and completed our pre-Med-deployment shakedown/ORSE cruise.  I looked like a chump during low-speed maneuvers during the test, since without that one valve (of 7 in the engine's steam chest), my engine went from 0-50rpm almost instantly, and at a far-different point than the other 3 engines.  Fortunately, the examiners knew why that was, and we didn't get dinged for it.

I heard that both ships' OODs got letters of reprimand entered into their records, and although I never did hear what happened to Leyte Gulf's CO, ours (Capt Christenson) had been up for his first star.  That went away (too bad - he was a good guy).

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2009, 12:16:36 AM »
Geez... if a little fender-bender like that gets you hauled in before a board of inquiry and forced into early retirement, how did Captians Kirk and Picard keep their commands for so long and through so much?

=D

Rule of Cool
Look, tiny text!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2009, 09:36:48 AM »
Popped plates at the base of the sail.  Some flooding resulted, no doubt.  Must have been a dicey bit afterwards.

The sail is all free-flood superstructure mounted to the pressure hull in that area. You could completly rip the sail off and not necessarily compromise the pressure hull as long as the periscopes tubes were not yanked out.

Samuel Adams