Author Topic: Sub/ship collision pics...  (Read 7504 times)

buzz_knox

• friend
Re: Sub/ship collision pics...
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2009, 10:05:08 AM »
Geez... if a little fender-bender like that gets you hauled in before a board of inquiry and forced into early retirement, how did Captians Kirk and Picard keep their commands for so long and through so much?

=D

They had photos of their respective Starfleet Chief of Operations doing that "Taurian Tango" with a Horta.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2009, 12:41:23 PM »
The sail is all free-flood superstructure mounted to the pressure hull in that area. You could completly rip the sail off and not necessarily compromise the pressure hull as long as the periscopes tubes were not yanked out.

...and what exactly could rip the sail of submarine but leave the periscope tubes intact?   =|

That's kinda like saying that the Titanic could take an iceberg gash to the side and survive unless water started coming in.....  ;/
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2009, 01:15:40 PM »
...and what exactly could rip the sail of submarine but leave the periscope tubes intact?   =|

That's kinda like saying that the Titanic could take an iceberg gash to the side and survive unless water started coming in.....  ;/

Well, according to what I saw, the Titanic COULD have taken a huge iceberg gash and survive...

The gash had to open only 3 of the airtight compartments for that to work. The iceberg they hit gashed across 5.

One expert theorized that had the Titanic hit the iceberg head on, it should have easily survived.

(No, really, I don't care about the Titanic, but my wife does. And everything I hear stays in my head...)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2009, 01:16:40 PM »

Probably nothing, but theoretically, if something did rip off the sail, but leave the periscopes intact, the pressure hull would not be harmed.  I think that's what he meant. 

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2009, 02:58:00 PM »
The TR had a collision one fine night with one of our accompanying cruisers (Leyte Gulf, IIRC) just before our winter '96 deployment to the Med.  I came off midwatch and racked out, they started drills, including ahead-flank-to-back-emergency-full, and someone on the bridge during that evolution decided to call Leyte Gulf into close-in trailing position, about 1 mile back.  Well, that became a REALLY-close-in trailing position, about contact-distance.  Seems both ships' lookouts were... tired, let's say, and the phone talkers down in the Control Room said they heard a REALLY excited voice shout something about a "pop-up contact aft!" about 10 seconds beforehand.  I remember being woken up by the sound of the Collision alarm, which had been leaned on by mistake by someone a few weeks prior

Yep, I was sitting in my shop at about 0200 when that collision alarm went off. I had just about finished cussing out the moron that tripped it accidentally when I about got knocked out of my chair. Good times. I'm pretty sure we had no aft look-outs, they had been pulled because the guys in my division were running a TF-30 (F-14 motor) on the fantail test cell. They had just shut down and a couple were setting up for a nap in the test cell booth. The motor got turned around sideways by the hit. I think our CO, Christensen, took most of the blame for not ensuring his officers de-conflicted their plans. I'm pretty sure we were EMCON with no radio contact with the Leyte Gulf, we had just finished flight ops, running the motor on the test cell, and then started the engineering drills. The LG was back there still in its plane guard position from flight ops. So we went dead in the water and collected them. I think Christensen still got his star but it was a desk drive in the Pentagon and he was out. Probably was on his way to at least Vice Admiral before that. The CO and XO of the Leyte Gulf were relieved.

Later on that cruise someone layed on the chemical alarm at about 3am in the gulf. I was sucking rubber rather quickly, took them a few minutes to pass the disregard signal. I was in no mood ever again to assume an alarm was an accident. Much later, as a team leader and locker leader on a boiler ship I learned the general alarms for major fuel oil leaks are not usually accidents. Much fun though, I get to go play fireman and see a whole bunch of hard infantry Marines pretty much panic like little girls.  =D Of course I felt bad during work-ups, we were in our engineering certification cycle with multiple drills and GQs for several weeks. It was about a week before I found out that the Marines attached to my division were unaware that the words being passed were drills. They thought the ship really was bursting into flames and trying to sink everyday.  ;/
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2009, 05:59:33 PM »

Kind of hard to explain unless you have an understanding of how they are put together. I undamaged and can't imagine anything that could rip off the sail and leave them undamage but so long as they still at least partially filled the hole. Actually yanking the periscopes out of the bores would be nearly impossible.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2009, 10:27:18 PM »
It was about a week before I found out that the Marines attached to my division were unaware that the words being passed were drills. They thought the ship really was bursting into flames and trying to sink everyday.  ;/

Well, they are Marines afterall........

=D =D =D =D =D
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2009, 12:57:15 AM »
The sail is all free-flood superstructure mounted to the pressure hull in that area. You could completly rip the sail off and not necessarily compromise the pressure hull as long as the periscopes tubes were not yanked out.

Ah, so that's how it works.  Thanks for the clarification, RKL.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2009, 06:24:21 PM »
Well, they are Marines afterall........

=D =D =D =D =D

The Navy does not necessarily inspire confidence.  You guys can hardly march properly, that makes it easy to believe you could (almost) lose a ship per day.  =D
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2009, 06:37:40 PM »
The Navy does not necessarily inspire confidence.  You guys can hardly march properly, that makes it easy to believe you could (almost) lose a ship per day.  =D

If the Navy could march on water, they wouldn't NEED ships....  :laugh:
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2009, 08:12:30 PM »
This guy told me about a Marine he saw on liberty, he had a tee shirt on that said something like, "Marines the roughest toughest fighting force on the planet" and someone had scrawled in marker underneath, "As long as someone gives us a ride"  :lol:

The there was the VN vet Marine I knew once. He was getting down on the Navy and then I said, "But you guys loved our gunfire support." he said, "Yea, yea we did." ;)
Avoid cliches like the plague!