Author Topic: Ebay sniper program redux  (Read 7501 times)

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
Re: Ebay sniper program redux
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2009, 02:44:15 AM »
The problem I've noticed is that some people just NEED to see their name as the winning bid, throughout the duration of the auction.

There've been a number of times my max bid was barely passed, then I received a message that "the high bidder backed out". Personally, I think that was a shill, and I've always avoided those "second chances".

Now, I snipe.
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2009, 06:04:57 AM »
My panties are not in a knot, a little wrinkled maybe...  :laugh:

One time I had a bid war take an item I was selling to unimaginable heights. Then the winning bidder backed out and was defrocked by EBAY shortly afterwards. It was a "private auction" so EBAY would not give me the name of the second highest bidder. I put the item back up and it didn't do squat. I was not a happy EBAY camper.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2009, 09:29:10 AM »
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but if you are the second highest bidder and the winner backs out, you are not obligated to complete the transfer, right?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Iain

• friend
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2009, 09:49:45 AM »
Bid sniping is the only way to play on ebay.

Lost count of the number of auctions I've seen where someone has come in early and placed their max bid, and then some idjit has come along and bid repeatedly just to sniff out what the max bid is. Or, even worse, someone seems to feel the need to be 'winning' all the way through the auction. Sellers might appreciate this though.

I decide my ceiling and then use esnipe to place a bid about 5 seconds before the end. If there has been a pointless bidding war then I lose out, but it's not about 'winning' the auction.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

280plus

• friend
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2009, 10:09:42 AM »
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but if you are the second highest bidder and the winner backs out, you are not obligated to complete the transfer, right?
You are correct sir!

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2009, 01:03:59 PM »
^^^^^
Correct, although USUALLY the seller can offer the item to the second highest bidder if the first backs out

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

280plus

• friend
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2009, 01:08:39 PM »
right, as long as it's not a "private auction" because then ebay will not tell you who the second highest bidder was. I stay away from selling by private auction now just for that reason.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2009, 02:12:16 PM »
Man, I'm surprised how many people are getting their panties in a knot over this. Guess free market competition and ingenuity are only good things when you don't have to face them, huh? :rolleyes:

I learned years ago that for the overwhelming majority(1) of items I have an interest in buying, I can get them elsewhere for about the same price with less hassle(2).  So, despite having a logon (jfruser, just like here) since 1999-ish, I rarely use ebay for (partly) that reason.

As to your practice of using software to "snipe," it is something I suspected occurred and contemplated writing a perl script to do for my own self.  I decided against it, because it wasn't worth the hassle writing the script when most items are available elsewhere for similar prices and less time investment.

I don't see any use in ebay outlawing the practice, as outlawing something that can not be enforced is generally a bad idea.  The above mentioned gunbroker "auction closes 15 min after last bid" is typical of GB, which is heavily tilted in favor of the seller.

I also noticed the faux-bidder/seller on several occasions and really put 2+2 together when I bid on one seller's items, a week apart.  I lost both auctions, but the seller later sent an email after each saying the winning bidder backed out and would I like to buy it at my highest bid?  Uh-huh.

That (faux bidding) practice ought to be banned as it is both dishonest and enforceable to some degree.

If one is a buyer and a buyer only, I can see the sniping as having no downside.  But, I doubt that folks who are so invested in ebay time/money/whatever-wise (3) will remain only buyers.

For sellers, I would bet dollars to donuts that sniping is harmful.  One means is that it reduces the market for their wares.  When folks such as myself start to smell something is a little rotten, like the practice of sniping, we are likely to go to another market.  As I have done. 

The funny thing is, the buyer who snipes (say, 1911 holsters) and then sells related goods, is driving away his own customers with his behavior.  IOW, they are fouling their own nest.  For the buyer who is also a seller, sniping is both its own reward and punishment.  makattak, our resident economist might be able to illuminate this.

One last thing:
Writing the script to snipe would have been ingenuity, just like the first caveman who picked up a bone to whack another caveman.  A third caveman, observing the first two, is not ingenious when he copies the actions of the first.  IOW, using someone else's ingenious code to get over is more akin to base cunning than ingenuity.

(1) A conservative estimate would be 999/1000 dollars I net.

(2) And almost undoubtedly with a smaller shipping fee.

(3) That they'll buy or install third-party apps or give their logon & PW data to a third party.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2009, 03:04:52 PM »
Couple things:

WHAT does footnote (2) refer to in there? Didn't see it.

>That (faux bidding) practice ought to be banned as it is both dishonest and enforceable to some degree.<

Technically, it is. However, you have to have LOADS of evidence to get a seller nailed by Ebay for shilling. You'd probably have an easier time getting an actually criminal fraud prosecution through...

280plus

• friend
« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2009, 03:15:01 PM »
I learned years ago that for the overwhelming majority(1) of items I have an interest in buying, I can get them elsewhere for about the same price with less hassle(2).  So, despite having a logon (jfruser, just like here) since 1999-ish, I rarely use ebay for (partly) that reason.
Pretty much ditto for me. Hassle being the operative word.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2009, 03:35:20 PM »
What exactly is "rotten" about sniping? I'm failing to see how it's so eeeeeevil. It's just a smarter way of bidding that can help prevent fraud and emotional bidding wars. How is that bad, or comparable to the fraudulent practice of shilling? Again, "I don't like it" is not a logical reason to go about insulting people. I know we're all heroes on the intarwebz, but calling people who use these types of programs (which I don't yet, btw) names and insulting their intelligence is the sort of cowardly behaviour that really has no place here. Unless you can say with a straight face that you regularly curse at and insult people in real life for this type of petty dislike.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2009, 03:52:16 PM »
Couple things:

WHAT does footnote (2) refer to in there? Didn't see it.

>That (faux bidding) practice ought to be banned as it is both dishonest and enforceable to some degree.<

Technically, it is. However, you have to have LOADS of evidence to get a seller nailed by Ebay for shilling. You'd probably have an easier time getting an actually criminal fraud prosecution through...

Footnote (2) is in the first sentence.  It is in reference to the many times outrageous shipping charges many ebay sellers charge. 

[unwarranted jab removed]
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 04:06:04 PM by Gewehr98 »
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2009, 04:03:47 PM »
Alright, Chillun's, play nice.

I have just cleaned up this thread, because there's no call to start throwing names, etc. over a simple thread topic.

Y'all should know better by now.

Fact: eBay does not prohibit bid sniping, either manually or software-driven.

That should say enough about the practice, right there.

I've used eSnipe quite successfully over the last few years, and purchased many items below my top bid limit without escalating a passionate bidding war or bumping up the winning auction price several days before the end of the auction (which is just plain stupid, IMHO).

That includes many items that one just cannot find on other online auction sites, let alone the online retail stores.

Nor am I bid sniping for the purpose of reselling items.  I don't know where that came from, and why it's relevant to the discussion.

I refuse to bid on anything listed on eBay that's not Buy It Now without using eSnipe. 

I've lost auctions to bid snipers a long time ago, and instead of holding some sort of grudge, I just started using their tools for myself.

It's no big deal, really. You can bid manually, and I'll bid electronically in the last 4 seconds or so.  As Brad mentioned, if your manual bid is higher than my electronic bid limit at the end, you win.  No harm, no foul, right?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 04:07:32 PM by Gewehr98 »
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

280plus

• friend
« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2009, 08:00:52 PM »
If like 50 sniper programs all hit at the exact same time 4 seconds before the auction ends does the internet blow up? That would be cool!  :laugh:

Kinda like flushing all the toilets in town at the same time...  =D

I don't care if anybody snipes, I just don't do it. I guess I'm just not competitive enough to get into it. Or maybe it's just because it's evil! eeeeviiilll I say!! Bwahahahahahaaaaaaaaa!!

I'll be ok, it'll just be a while...  ;/