Author Topic: Recommend a decent rental car?  (Read 7504 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Recommend a decent rental car?
« on: June 12, 2011, 06:41:24 PM »
If I'm able to get away for about a week and half in July to head out to Utah, I'd like to take my Harley. It would probably be the last time I'd be physically able to do a 4000+ mile ride (if I can even do it now).

I have to replace the rocker box gaskets, as both are leaking, and the leaking will just get worse and worse on the trip. I have all the gaskets, but it's going to be a PITA job in this 90 degree heat.

Today I was going to take the bike for a ride. Started it up, and heard a buzzing sound coming from somewhere. After checking around, I think I isolated the sound to the front of the primary. I've heard a similar sound before, and it was (twice) that alternator stator. It's an all-day repair, with removing the primary cover, chain, clutch, inner primary, etc. Again, in 90+ degree heat.

On just about every cycle trip, I wound up at a Harley dealer with a repair, and sometimes an expensive repair. If I'm having to do repairs before I even leave, maybe that's an omen. So, it may come down to renting a car.

If that's the case, I'd like to get a rental that's: a) affordable; b) has relatively good acceleration; and c) corners and handles well (for the mountains).

Any suggestions? I'm seeing Ford Fusions and Toyota Corrolla's in the offerings, but know nothing about them.

dogmush

• friend
Re: Recommend a decent rental car?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 06:59:05 PM »
I've rented both Focus' and Fusion's and found them to be ......acceptable.  Along with the mid sized KIA.  (who knows what they call that one).  I also had a rental Dodge Caliber for a week. Avoid that one at all costs.

As far as affordable- that puts you into a small or mid-sized four banger.  On all of those acceleration is so-so at best and even then you need to use the upper ranges of the rev-band which will have a huge effect on fuel economy. Handling will be mushy and soft with a lot of understeer dialed in to protect people that don't know how to drive.  Basically any affordable rental car will drive and handle like crap.  It's the nature of the beast.

If you can afford what the rental companies call a "premium full size" I've gotten a new V6 Ford Taurus (with paddle shifters) and a V6 Dodge Charger.  Both were loads better for driving then the small cars, and had the power needed for hill climbing.  Handling still so-so but better. Still too soft under hard braking and cornering, and understeer, but at least the designers considered the possibility that you might want to hold a line in a corner.

However your best bet (if you can swing it) among commonly rented cars, is a 2011-up V6 Mustang.  Ford stuffed 300 hp into the V6 and played with the suspension to give it actual handling and very close to 50/50 weight distribution. (to bad they don't rent one with the trac-pak option)  You'll sacrifice interior space in the Mustang over the other full-size cars, but it'll drive way nicer.  The brakes are the weak spot in those cars.  They will overheat and get soft with hard use, but if you're going to keep your driving even remotely legal that shouldn't be a problem.

Quote from: Jeff Foxworthy
Yeah I want the additional insurance, because you've got a Ford Festiva that's about to see more air then a skateboard at the x-games.
=D
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 07:02:55 PM by dogmush »

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 07:06:20 PM »
Honda Accord. 
"It's good, though..."

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2011, 07:18:46 PM »
However your best bet (if you can swing it) among commonly rented cars, is a 2011-up V6 Mustang.  Ford stuffed 300 hp into the V6 and played with the suspension to give it actual handling and very close to 50/50 weight distribution. (to bad they don't rent one with the trac-pak option)  You'll sacrifice interior space in the Mustang over the other full-size cars, but it'll drive way nicer.  The brakes are the weak spot in those cars.  They will overheat and get soft with hard use, but if you're going to keep your driving even remotely legal that shouldn't be a problem.

I have a 2007 GT that's been lowered, has slightly modified suspension, and wide tires. It corners like a motorcycle.

I'd take it, but it's a sunny day garage queen. I don't want paint chips, etc. Besides, the soft tires only get 12,000 miles or so, so the 4000 mile trip would cost more in tire wear than a rental car. Gas would be $$$$$, too.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2011, 08:12:39 PM »
If you've got the money to rent a car for that kind of trip you've got the money to sit in the air conditioning and sip a Coke while a dealer mechanic sweats and goes through your bike top to bottom before the trip. Just because you know how to fix something doesn't mean you have to do it. If it is the last shot at a grand trip, take the bike.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2011, 08:40:50 PM »
If you've got the money to rent a car for that kind of trip you've got the money to sit in the air conditioning and sip a Coke while a dealer mechanic sweats and goes through your bike top to bottom before the trip. Just because you know how to fix something doesn't mean you have to do it. If it is the last shot at a grand trip, take the bike.

This ^^^.

But, if you don't take that advice, the Dodge Charger with the 3.5 or 3.6L engines are nice drivers.  The newer 3.6 is pushing near 300HP.  Chassis based on the Mercedes C-class. 

The old 2.7L engine is nothing to write home about.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2011, 08:55:16 PM »
Last time out in CA I rented a Dodge Avenger.

Never heard of one before that but it seems to be an almost Charger.

I thought it drove pretty nice and had good acceleration, at least compared to the Kia Rio that I rented before that.

Not that I would buy one though - I had the distinct feeling that it would probably fall apart by 50K miles  =|
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2011, 10:39:46 PM »

I'm really inclined to agree with this.  From what you've told us about your prior motorcycle trips, it sound like it's a pretty special thing.  And, with the question of the table of whether you'll be able to take another such trip ever again?

Just food for thought.

On rental cars, good luck.  The only rental car that I've been in that I thought was even acceptable for a long trip was a Nissan Maxima.  And it wasn't anything special.  Most of the rental cars I've had or been in are nice, shiny, new and complete dogs.  (Hey PTK, remember taking the 4cyl avenger through the Rockies?  =| )

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2011, 11:27:57 PM »
A rental car (Toyota Corrola, Ford Fusion, etc) would be about $350 for the ten days. Having a dealership replace the gaskets and the stator would probably run $600-$800 for labor, and then parts. I have the gaskets ($50; dealer would probably charge $75). The stator will be $100 (a dealership would likely mark it up to $150-$200). The gaskets for the primary, primary cover, mainshaft and engine block would probably be another $75 ($110 at the dealership).

So, figure $935 to $1135. The last time I had a major repair was in Colorado when a lifter went and chewed up my camshaft. IIRC, that was at least $1500 and that was ten years ago. Oh, and I should get a new front tire before I go, as it will need replacing about halfway through the trip. $125 or so for tire, tube and balancing if I bring the wheel in myself. On the road? Bend over.

I also need to be able to check emails and website orders, which would be much more time-consuming (and thus cutting miles off my days) if the laptop and gear are packed in the cycle bag.

The Charger or Charger-wannabe sound like good alternatives.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2011, 11:32:46 PM »
$350 for 10 days and unlimited mileage for something that's not piece of crap economy car?  That's a pretty good deal!

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2011, 12:05:21 AM »
The best car for a road trip or vacation is a rental car. If it breaks, you call for another. Get the unlimited mileage, and just go... Frankly, I usually just take whatever Avis has under "subcompact" because they all have AC and an automatic, and they'll usually bump you to the next size up. Put it on a "we pay the waiver" credit card, or have that fixed with your insurance agent, and you can get off pretty cheap. I did a lot from Avis for a few years, and $350 for 10 days strikes me as high for what I'd usually do...
Blog under construction

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2011, 12:19:09 AM »
The last car I rented for more than a weekend was with Hertz.  Something like $140 for a week plus a day with unlimited mileage (and I drove it about 3000.)  That was the previously-mentioned Honda Accord, and it got 33 mpg.  (Ford Focus gets 40, but the Accord was a lot more comfortable.)

If you have a Discover card and have cash back bonus points accumulated, you can get $40 gift cards with all the major car rental places except Hertz for $20 each.
"It's good, though..."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2011, 04:36:07 AM »
Have you looked into renting a bike for the trip?

One option
http://www.rental-motorcycle.com/
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 04:39:39 AM by RoadKingLarry »
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

HankB

• friend
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2011, 08:24:16 AM »
My employer has a contract with National Car Rental - they way they work it, you just go to the "Emerald Aisle" and pick whichever one they have there.

Last two trips I was on I had a Toyota Camry and some model Volvo - drove each one for a week. Camry seemed more solid and ergonomic, the only thing I really remember about the Volvo was the counter-intuitive layout of the climate controls and the steerable headlamps.

Neither car was an "enthusiast" machine, but they both proved reliable and reasonably comfortable. (If you bought cars the same way you buy groceries, you'd find both vehicles in the "generic merchandise" aisle.)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2011, 09:10:45 AM »
Most of the midsized cars will probably fit the bill for what you want. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2011, 10:38:40 AM »
We keep getting Chevy Impalas for our staff on road trips.  I do not recommend them.  That is the kind of weenie engined 4 banger where you step on it to pass somebody on a 2 lane, it down shifts and the engine revs up but your speed doesn't seem to change at all.

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2011, 10:42:01 AM »
Last time out in CA I rented a Dodge Avenger.

Never heard of one before that but it seems to be an almost Charger.

I thought it drove pretty nice and had good acceleration, at least compared to the Kia Rio that I rented before that.

Not that I would buy one though - I had the distinct feeling that it would probably fall apart by 50K miles  =|

The Avenger is a different platform.  I don;t like them much.

Yeah, that is the hit against Dodge: good numbers & decent looks to start, but age like a chain-smoking alcoholic hooker.

A rental car (Toyota Corrola, Ford Fusion, etc) would be about $350 for the ten days. Having a dealership replace the gaskets and the stator would probably run $600-$800 for labor, and then parts. I have the gaskets ($50; dealer would probably charge $75). The stator will be $100 (a dealership would likely mark it up to $150-$200). The gaskets for the primary, primary cover, mainshaft and engine block would probably be another $75 ($110 at the dealership).

So, figure $935 to $1135.
The last time I had a major repair was in Colorado when a lifter went and chewed up my camshaft. IIRC, that was at least $1500 and that was ten years ago. Oh, and I should get a new front tire before I go, as it will need replacing about halfway through the trip. $125 or so for tire, tube and balancing if I bring the wheel in myself. On the road? Bend over.

I also need to be able to check emails and website orders, which would be much more time-consuming (and thus cutting miles off my days) if the laptop and gear are packed in the cycle bag.

The Charger or Charger-wannabe sound like good alternatives.

Well, are you gonna get that stuff fixed anyways, if you keep the bike?

We keep getting Chevy Impalas for our staff on road trips.  I do not recommend them.  That is the kind of weenie engined 4 banger where you step on it to pass somebody on a 2 lane, it down shifts and the engine revs up but your speed doesn't seem to change at all.

Chevy Impalas & Rentabus.  They seem to be made for the rental market, 'cause who would ever buy one of those turds new?
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2011, 11:10:50 AM »
Yeah, that is the hit against Dodge: good numbers & decent looks to start, but age like a chain-smoking alcoholic hooker.

So, that would be why I see them leaning up against the curb at 15th and Fremont all the time...  :P

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2011, 11:24:25 AM »
Well, are you gonna get that stuff fixed anyways, if you keep the bike?

Well, yes. ;) I'd have to in order to keep riding it. The problem is that it's been in the mid to high 90's here for three weeks, and looks like it's going to continue. That's awfully hot, at least for me, to be working all day on a bike. It would be more comfortable, and I'd be less likely to get heat stroke as I have before, if I waiting until temps dropped.

Or I could work on it from midnight until about 7 am, but I couldn't guarantee the bike would work. ;)

I really, really want to take the bike on this trip, but there's some serious reasons not to.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2011, 11:33:39 AM »
I have a 2007 GT that's been lowered, has slightly modified suspension, and wide tires. It corners like a motorcycle.

I'd take it, but it's a sunny day garage queen. I don't want paint chips, etc. Besides, the soft tires only get 12,000 miles or so, so the 4000 mile trip would cost more in tire wear than a rental car. Gas would be $$$$$, too.

[thread jack]
Really?  That doesn't sound right.  What kind of tires are you running?  An 07 GT (unless really moded) puts less then 300 to the rear wheels.  I daily drive my 03 Cobra and get about 18,000-24,000 miles and 1.5 autocross seasons out of my front tires.  I was running 275 series Nitto 555's on it (got 24,000 out of them) but switched to the stickier Toyo R1R's on the last set.  I'm about 10,000 miles into the R1R's and they're about half done.  GREAT tires.  They completely tamed the pushing from my heavy engine and allow me to throtlle steer so much better.  But I'll get more then 12,000 out of them running them hard.

A sunny driven GT just shouldn't eat up tires that much.  Especially since you can rotate them. 
[/thread jack]

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2011, 11:50:09 AM »
Well, yes. ;) I'd have to in order to keep riding it. The problem is that it's been in the mid to high 90's here for three weeks, and looks like it's going to continue. That's awfully hot, at least for me, to be working all day on a bike. It would be more comfortable, and I'd be less likely to get heat stroke as I have before, if I waiting until temps dropped.

Or I could work on it from midnight until about 7 am, but I couldn't guarantee the bike would work. ;)

I really, really want to take the bike on this trip, but there's some serious reasons not to.

Throw down some bisqueen and work on it in the living room.  The missus won't mind.   >:D
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2011, 11:59:25 AM »
I've taken a Ford Fusion on a 600 mile round trip with 4 people in the car, not bad at all. Very comfortable!
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2011, 12:00:13 PM »
Throw down some bisqueen and work on it in the living room.  The missus won't mind.   >:D

It took me a couple of moments wondering why he'd want to thrown down pre-mixed baking flour before I realized you were suggesting Bisquick, but Visquine (or Visqueen).
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2011, 12:01:40 PM »
Throw down some bisqueen and work on it in the living room.  The missus won't mind.   >:D

Before you start, am I in your will?  =D

I knew a guy who obviously lived by himself, big old burnout mark started in the middle of the living room, right out the sliding glass door.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2011, 12:13:30 PM »

Really random thought, but if you have a garage to do the work in, you could put a window A/C unit in.  My parents did this a few years ago ($150 for an 8kbtu unit) and it's make an incredible difference in what you can do out there in the summer.  Only took a few hours to put in, and runs on standard plug in 120v power.