Author Topic: Body Found in Public Pool 2 Days After Drowning  (Read 7510 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Body Found in Public Pool 2 Days After Drowning
« on: July 01, 2011, 04:11:15 PM »
Holy crap. I have to wonder if the story is even accurate. If so, simply bizarre. First, that the kid told lifeguards someone was in trouble and they apparently did nothing. Then, the more bizarre part, that the pool was used for two days and no one saw the body.

http://www.myfoxboston.com/dpp/news/local/woman-dies-in-public-pool-in-fall-river-25-apx-20110629
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: Body Found in Public Pool 2 Days After Drowning
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2011, 04:16:17 PM »
Saw the story yesterday.  A whole lot of red flags go up.  Kinda hard to miss a human body in a swimming pool unless said human died during a time when the pool was closed for a couple of days.  Even if the pool is only lightly used, that's still many people and many pairs of eyes in and around the pool, not including the lifeguard(s).

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2011, 04:28:29 PM »
The article says that health inspectors also checked the pool on Mon. and Tues. and DIDN'T SEE A DEAD WOMAN IN THE POOL! Just when you thought the govt. couldn't possibly be any less competent...
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2011, 05:51:37 PM »
The article says that health inspectors also checked the pool on Mon. and Tues. and DIDN'T SEE A DEAD WOMAN IN THE POOL! Just when you thought the govt. couldn't possibly be any less competent...

Who says I ever thought there was a lower limit to the competence of the gooberment?

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2011, 06:49:37 PM »
That's why I have a Red Flag Warning.  As incompetent as some .gov reps can be, even they have eyeballs.  And that's not counting the people who would have been in the pool during the day.

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2011, 08:29:36 PM »
The USA Today article described the water as 'murky'.  Even more attractive to swim in, then.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2011, 08:36:04 PM »
Had I found out about a body in the pool I had been swimming in, I think I would've scrubbed my own skin off in disgust [barf].
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2011, 08:46:55 PM »
Had I found out about a body in the pool I had been swimming in, I think I would've scrubbed my own skin off in disgust [barf].

I think I would have done so even without the dead body, given the "murky" description.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2011, 09:32:34 PM »
I just saw a picture of the pool on fox news.com - it's a murky green and you could hide most anything in their that didn't float.

Apparently the body bloated and popped up after two days  :O
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2011, 11:08:33 AM »
'scuse while I go have an attack of the heebie-jeebies over in the corner.....
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2011, 11:36:00 AM »
I can almost see if the water wasn't really clear and the pool was very deep, it could go unnoticed, but that still would mean the lifeguards and such cleaning the pool and checking it out at the beginning and end of the day barely bothered to look in the pool.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2011, 11:46:58 AM »
A follow up article said that the water was murky green, submerged visibility was 3-4 feet and the body was in the deep end of the pool, 12 feet deep, before it began to float.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2011, 11:51:47 AM »
I don't get why they didn't do a complete search after the youngster(s) told the lifeguards some one didn't come back up.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2011, 12:32:59 PM »
I don't get why they didn't do a complete search after the youngster(s) told the lifeguards some one didn't come back up.

Because that would involve, like, doing work and stuff......
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2011, 12:57:26 PM »
A follow up article said that the water was murky green, submerged visibility was 3-4 feet and the body was in the deep end of the pool, 12 feet deep, before it began to float.

See, that's another one of those red flag things.  If the water was that nasty no one in their right mind would have been swimming there, much less the health dept giving the ok for the place to be open.  There's wayyyyyyyyy to many questions on this on.  I suppose I'll just have to be patient (blech) and wait for the final determination.

Brad
-HankB

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2011, 04:52:30 PM »
Why would a sane person swim in a pool in that condition.
http://www.businessinsider.com/dead-woman-in-pool-massachusetts-2011-7
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2011, 07:00:25 PM »
I used to work under a guy whose other role was municipal health officer. I cannot even imagine allowing a pool with visibility of only 3 to 4 feet under water to remain open for even 15 seconds.

I also can't imagine anyone voluntarily entering an open cesspool like that ... not even in Fall River, MA.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2011, 07:42:20 PM »
Why would a sane person swim in a pool in that condition.
http://www.businessinsider.com/dead-woman-in-pool-massachusetts-2011-7

Whoever posted that photo with the article needs their press card revoked... now.  Look under the photo in the article and click on the source link to the photo owner's flickr account.  There, the pic is clearly labeled "Kings Meadow Pool, Reading"  It's a pool in Berkshire, England.  There's even a wiki entry for it, complete with the SAME PHOTO.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King's_Meadow_swimming_pool

Journalistic integrity?  NOT!!

Brad
-HankB

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2011, 12:31:57 AM »
Thanks for digging that up, Brad.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2011, 07:29:50 AM »
I can see that happening at a lake, but a pool?

Ew, ew, ew, ew!  [barf]
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2011, 04:21:38 PM »
This is going to get even more strange, because in the 2 to 3 days before they found her, and that pool was mobbed with people (I'm watching the videos).  There is no way a dark body would not be noticed in all that time!
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2011, 04:24:32 PM »
OMG!!  Hasn't Whitey Bulger been returned to Boston?  It's so obvious now!!!
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2011, 06:35:58 PM »
If the water really was that murky, then the story is only as unbelievable as the part where the kid told the lifeguard and no one did anything.

In murky water, the lifeguards should have been on heightened awareness around the slide / deep water.  One person goes down the slide, one person comes up.  In the story, the vicitm and the boy went down the slide together.  I am sure this is against the rules.  The guard was probably distracted, checking someone else, etc.  Didn't notice that two people exited the slide, heard the splash, looked over and sees a little boy come up and swim to the side.  One splash, one kid.  All is well. . .
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2011, 09:27:01 PM »
This is going to get even more strange, because in the 2 to 3 days before they found her, and that pool was mobbed with people (I'm watching the videos).  There is no way a dark body would not be noticed in all that time!

I disagree. I watched a video that included some views from a helicopter. The racing lanes, which are NOT in the deepest part of the pool, are fuzzy at the shallowest part and basically become invisible in the part that's deepest and closest to where the slide is located.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2011, 12:40:30 AM »
I'm still hung up on the part where a municipal pool could be that nasty. Even here in Podunkia the you could see a quarter on the bottom of the 12' deep end of the pool.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams