Author Topic: Hey! Engineering and tech nerds! What nifty upgrades could you make for this toy  (Read 7508 times)

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
  http://www.wimp.com/coolesttoy/   

Maybe a mini automatic paintball gun for funnsies?  >:D
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
I don't know what the hell that is, but I want one. Scaled up to fit a human =D.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Want!
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
There's actually a lot of RC quad-copters out there for around $300-500 already.

I'm kind of amazed nobody's weaponized one yet. Some of them even have a rated payload capacity of a pound or two. More than enough for a self-forging copper disk warhead.

I promise not to duck.

MicroBalrog

• friend
There's actually a lot of RC quad-copters out there for around $300-500 already.

I'm kind of amazed nobody's weaponized one yet. Some of them even have a rated payload capacity of a pound or two. More than enough for a self-forging copper disk warhead.

Already.

Both Western and ex-Soviet militaries deploy various RC quadcopters.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
I will see your quad copter and raise you a hexacopter.

It can lift 9 lbs.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
How long before DHS.gov starts outlawing such potentially evil devices.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
How long before DHS.gov starts outlawing such potentially evil devices.

Too late.  A person I might or might not know has or has not mounted a .22 with a video camera sighting system.  No, it is not fired by an electromechanical servo motor or rubber bands as that would violate NFA regulations.  I do not know any more about how they get the thing to fire but I understand that tree rats do not like the thing.

There is loose talk about equipping one with mechanical talons and making a raptor.

What I'd like to see is a way to dampen the rotor noise.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Want for the sound alone!

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Hawkmoon

• friend
Too late.  A person I might or might not know has or has not mounted a .22 with a video camera sighting system.  No, it is not fired by an electromechanical servo motor or rubber bands as that would violate NFA regulations.  I do not know any more about how they get the thing to fire but I understand that tree rats do not like the thing.

An electromechanical servo firing mechanism violates the NFA? How? If it's illegal on a remote-controlled bird, how are electronic triggers legal of rifles?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
The parrot Ar drone is pretty advanced tech.
 http://ardrone.parrot.com/parrot-ar-drone/usa/

The U Penn aggressive-quad-rotor perchers and window passers are scarey fast
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvRTALJp8DM

But imho, the Japanese sphere drone is the future form.
http://techcrunch.com/2011/10/25/video-japans-defense-ministry-develops-awesome-ball-shaped-drone/

"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
An electromechanical servo firing mechanism violates the NFA? How? If it's illegal on a remote-controlled bird, how are electronic triggers legal of rifles?

My bad.

Whatever the firing mechanism is, it will only cause one round to fire with any activation of the mechanism, as opposed to a mechanism that will "cycle" as long as the activating switch is depressed.

Better?

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
The detcord dropper is the #1 APS requested mod
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend

HankB

• friend
I'm thinking of an "egg dropper" along the route of a police speed trap . . . when Office Not-So-Friendly stops a car for some minor traffic violation and gets out of his squad . . . splat!

Or attach a spray paint can and do something about traffic & surveillance cameras, which don't work very well with a layer of paint over the lenses.

A neighbor's loud outdoor parties keeping you awake late at night? Dropping some skunk scent from above would break things up.

There are lots of opportunities here . . .  >:D
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.

brimic

• friends

Scary that you thought of that.
When I saw the video, I was thinking home made predator-drone-guided-bomb.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
I don't know what the hell that is, but I want one. Scaled up to fit a human =D.

That.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
You know, you probably COULD scale one up to human passenger dimensions with a few hundred motors and what not. Would look like one of those steampunk rotary wing airship contraptions. Dunno how long it could remain airborne for though. Anyone got any endurance info on that heavy-lift hexacopter Adively posted?

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
You know, you probably COULD scale one up to human passenger dimensions with a few hundred motors and what not. Would look like one of those steampunk rotary wing airship contraptions. Dunno how long it could remain airborne for though. Anyone got any endurance info on that heavy-lift hexacopter Adively posted?

kgbsquirrel,
I dug a little further and found a wiki for you.  http://www.mikrokopter.de/ucwiki/en/MikroKopter

ETA:  From the engine wiki page:
I use these motors on my APMk 1 and 2, with either GWS 10x6 3-bladed props or APC 12x3.8SF props and converted TowerPro 25A ESCs. With RTF weight of about 1.7kg I get flight times of 8-9minutes out of 3300-3650 mAh 3s1p Lipo's. The motors do not get warm at all.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.

It's been done.

Love the Pilates exercise ball as the "landing gear".  :laugh:

http://www.theverge.com/2011/11/2/2532113/first-manned-multicopter-flight-germany
I promise not to duck.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
So...... does that qualify as an ultra-light?  :lol: *has a new Christmas wish*

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Quad & hexacopters are all the rage in RC flight right now.  Well, they are with a particular subset.

Most are gyro-ed out the backside and some have limited UAV/programmable route capability. 

Even with all the gyros and computed aided flight, getting that fancy with the maneuvers is not as easy as it looks.  Start out with that sucker and expect many tears.

Also, any of the RC copters will be pretty inefficient with power, just the nature of the beast.  For a similar investment in lipo batteries and motors, you can design a fixed wing RC aircraft that will lift a LOT more.

I am fairly new to RC, but I can keep a reasonable 4-ch (throt, elev, rudd, ail) fixed wing in the air, but only a coax rotor copter.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Helicopters are inherently unstable.  The little bastards just won't sit still without constant input by the pilot.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
hover bike:
http://www.gizmag.com/hoverbike/18813/

With a 1170 cc 4-stroke engine delivering 80 kW driving two ducted propellers, the inventor of the Hoverbike, Chris Malloy, says with its high thrust to weight ratio, the Hoverbike should be able to reach an estimated height of more than 10,000 feet and reach an indicated airspeed of 150 knots (278 km/h or 173 mph).