Author Topic: of knives and steel  (Read 7499 times)

geronimotwo

• friend
of knives and steel
« on: November 15, 2013, 10:35:56 AM »
I was doing some reading on the different steels, and found this quote that surprised me.

A similar group of alloys has come over in recent years from Japan.  AUS6, AUS8 and AUS10 have been compared (approximately) to 440A, 440B and 440C.

taken from:  http://www.gunblast.com/Fryxell_KnifeSteels.htm

I've been looking for an aus-8 blade, as I rather thought it was the "wonder steel" for knives.  to have it compared to 440b was surprising to me.   any thoughts?
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: of knives and steel
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2013, 10:45:47 AM »
I was doing some reading on the different steels, and found this quote that surprised me.

I've been looking for an aus-8 blade, as I rather thought it was the "wonder steel" for knives.  to have it compared to 440b was surprising to me.   any thoughts?

I have a couple made from AUS-somethingorother, and I've been pleased with them.  They lose their edge more quickly than I would like (every knife does, I guess) but they take the edge back very easily also.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

brimic

• friends
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2013, 10:50:37 AM »
Sounds about right.
Are you talking about AUS-8 or AUS-8A?
AUS-8 is roughly equivalent to 440B, AUS-8A is more similar to 440C.
That being said, AUS-8A and 440C are good knife steels. They take a good edge, hold it well, and sharpen easily enough.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2013, 12:21:32 PM »
Metals are not all the same, even if they are marked the same. no way would I assume a piece of Chinese 440 was the same as a US 440. Look around on practical machinist- there are many complaints about inferior metals.
 So where the steel came from may have as much or more to do with quality than the type of steel it was made from. For consistency, it is hard to beat a plain old high carbon high quality blade. And there is no reason at all it has to be expensive- the manufacturers tout the ABX-37 DZX steel  like it was forged under Mt Doom by a host of druids, because that is how to get more dollars for the product.
 For an illustration, the inexpensive Mora knives have superb steel. They must be the best knife deal on the planet.

Triphammer

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2013, 01:54:24 PM »
Metals are not all the same, even if they are marked the same. no way would I assume a piece of Chinese 440 was the same as a US 440. Look around on practical machinist- there are many complaints about inferior metals.
 So where the steel came from may have as much or more to do with quality than the type of steel it was made from. For consistency, it is hard to beat a plain old high carbon high quality blade. And there is no reason at all it has to be expensive- the manufacturers tout the ABX-37 DZX steel  like it was forged under Mt Doom by a host of druids, because that is how to get more dollars for the product.
 For an illustration, the inexpensive Mora knives have superb steel. They must be the best knife deal on the planet.

My personal favorite for a small  to medium EDC fixed blade is O-1. Tough as 1080, takes an edge like 1095 & just enough chrome to not taint the taste of food or turn brown when you cut an apple.

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2013, 02:00:54 PM »
My personal favorite for a small  to medium EDC fixed blade is O-1. Tough as 1080, takes an edge like 1095 & just enough chrome to not taint the taste of food or turn brown when you cut an apple.

And available from Starrett in ground to size blanks!

Triphammer

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2013, 02:09:31 PM »
I usually buy 3 foot 1/2" dia rods & forge to shape.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2013, 02:54:50 PM »
While i'm much happier with D-2 or O-1, 440 and the AUS series are perfectly serviceable knife steels, Spyderco does very well with the -8A. 440 got a bad rap because it is used in every cheap knife like object. It takes rather tight temperature and process control to properly heat treat the 440 family, so no wonder it's not done well in the cheap knives.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2013, 03:58:36 PM »
Anyone ever heard of "8Cr13MoV" steel?  It's what my new-ish Kershaw linerlock (Chinese) is made from.  Seems okay so far... 
"It's good, though..."

brimic

• friends
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2013, 04:13:23 PM »
Anyone ever heard of "8Cr13MoV" steel?  It's what my new-ish Kershaw linerlock (Chinese) is made from.  Seems okay so far... 

Its the same steel used in Spyderco Byrd knives- Chinese version of AUS-8.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2013, 06:34:29 PM »

I don't know when AUS-8 was the "wonder steel," but I think it was before my time. AUS-8 is not a bad steel, but I don't think it's considered premium or high-end. My new favorite $30 EDC is AUS-8.

I'm not as plugged into knife-nerdom as I used to be, but the last I knew the wonder steels were S30V, 154CM, ATS34, and so on.

http://www.agrussell.com/Articles/a/109/
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Grebnaws

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2013, 10:36:57 PM »
I carried an AUS 8 Spyderco for about 10 years before losing it at a Cracker Barrel in Tullahoma TN. It was good but nothing special.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2013, 10:45:48 PM »
Its the same steel used in Spyderco Byrd knives- Chinese version of AUS-8.

So... lots of extra lead then.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2013, 12:41:45 AM »
Heat treatment is important, probably moreso than minor molecular variations. The 440s are perfectly serviceable.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2013, 12:46:04 AM »
Heat treatment is important, probably moreso than minor molecular variations. The 440s are perfectly serviceable.

Speaking of which, I wonder if anyone can answer this: with knives made from "premium" steels (154CM, or whatever), is the steel itself usually more expensive than the heat treat? Or is it the same? Or is it the cost of grinding those harder steels? Aside from the finish, handle materials, etc, is there one thing in particular that drives up the cost?

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2013, 12:52:58 AM »

Speaking of which, I wonder if anyone can answer this: with knives made from "premium" steels (154CM, or whatever), is the steel itself usually more expensive than the heat treat? Or is it the same? Or is it the cost of grinding those harder steels? Aside from the finish, handle materials, etc, is there one thing in particular that drives up the cost?

The steel is more expensive. The rest is essentially the same.

It's people being willing to pay more for perceived subjective superiority. It is better steel, but not hundreds of dollars better in actual use.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2013, 07:47:36 AM »
But what if my HK pocket knife is quadruple-cryo-quenched in the blood of ninja warriors?

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2013, 10:39:37 AM »

I don't know when AUS-8 was the "wonder steel," but I think it was before my time. AUS-8 is not a bad steel, but I don't think it's considered premium or high-end. My new favorite $30 EDC is AUS-8.

I'm not as plugged into knife-nerdom as I used to be, but the last I knew the wonder steels were S30V, 154CM, ATS34, and so on.

http://www.agrussell.com/Articles/a/109/

for the price range i shop in it seemed one of the best rated.  it surprised me to see it being compared to the 440's

But what if my HK pocket knife is quadruple-cryo-quenched in the blood of ninja warriors?

then, obviously, butter knives will suffice..........
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2013, 10:53:06 AM »

You still suck. (and they still hate you)
"It's good, though..."

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2013, 03:53:50 PM »
You still suck. (and they still hate you)
And it's his fault.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2013, 05:10:15 PM »

Then you shouldn't be wasting time on APS, you should be out operationally operating with other operators.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2013, 06:13:42 PM »
Then you shouldn't be wasting time on APS, you should be out operationally operating with other operators.

I multi-task.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2013, 11:59:19 AM »

And/or spending more time on Arfcom.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2013, 01:31:33 PM »
While i'm much happier with D-2 or O-1, 440 and the AUS series are perfectly serviceable knife steels

Maybe so, but having apprenticed under an absolutely unbelievable knifesmith, you couldn't pay me to take any knife made with 440. 

The only thing that 440 has going for it is that it's more corrosion resistant than my favorite O-1.  All my O-1 knives are parkerized, so I'll stay with the latter. 

The "newest" of my O-1 and Micarta knives, circa 1997.  (Dick Bancroft "Field & Bloodstream" model)

He was always really good about stamping the type of steel used in his creations somewhere near the guard.

"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2013, 04:55:56 PM »
The absolute best knives I have ever used or handled are not outdoor or "hunting" knives, but kitchen knives. When I was a kid, my grandfather in Maine had a friend who was a blacksmith. He was regionally famous enough that the then-current version of the official Maine tourist attractions map showed Snowman's Forge on it. He made a boatload of knives for my grandfather, and I inherited a few of them They are well-balanced, scary sharp, and hold an edge forever.

What are they made of? Old automobile leaf springs.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design