Author Topic: This is a new low...  (Read 17856 times)

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: This is a new low...
« Reply #75 on: June 19, 2013, 09:12:21 AM »
Instapundit yesterday had several posts about the possibility that the article is a hoax and part of a perhaps not so elaborate set-up.  There were also a few fact-checks that showed the material in the article to be dubious at best.

If anybody needs an Instalanche, Glenn does.  Go over there and read.

stay safe.

http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=39956.msg810550#msg810550
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #76 on: June 19, 2013, 03:07:54 PM »
I was getting a little worried about Mrs. Yewman (see what I did there?  =D), thinking she may have shot herself, or done something stupid. So, I tried to see if she might have posted about week two. Apparently not, but I found this:

http://msmagazine.com/blog/2013/03/28/a-good-woman-with-a-gun-is-a-bad-argument/
(Women carrying guns for protection are actually endangering themselves.)

You can imagine my confusion when I read this:

http://msmagazine.com/blog/2013/06/11/where-have-you-gone-sarah-connor/
(Criticizes Hollywood for not showing enough women fighting, with or without guns. Or if they do, they're too skinny.)

So it's ok for Ms. to say that women and guns don't mix, but not ok for Hollywood to say the same.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #77 on: June 19, 2013, 04:39:50 PM »
One more reply passed moderation.  WooHoo!  Whatever.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #78 on: June 23, 2013, 10:44:21 PM »
MS has decided not to run the rest of the series; the reason given is the overwhelming hateful and threatening responses from gun enthusiasts -- of which they fail to produce even one:
http://nocera.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/06/21/the-gun-report-june-21-2013/?_r=2

That's funny, I read the replies to her article and most praised her and said how courageous she was. (odd that there were less than 50 replies) ;/
"It's good, though..."

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #79 on: June 23, 2013, 11:35:33 PM »
Someone said that huffington was picking up.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #80 on: June 23, 2013, 11:52:41 PM »
Yawn. The numbskulls realized they were looking stupid, and decided to cut their losses. The internet being what it is, they probably did get a lot of ugly feedback. No surprise they want to focus on that, now, instead of Yewman's obvious disregard for public safety. Not that it shouldn't have been obvious before she got her gun...

Someone said that huffington was picking up.

Picking up the rest of the series, you mean?

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #81 on: June 23, 2013, 11:53:58 PM »
Unless she ND's/AD's, shoots someone, or herself, or gets it stolen, assuming as mentioned before, it's not a big hoax to use as a strawman argument for an emotive soapbox rant, "nothing bad happened", and logically, she'll be proving our point, not hers.

Net result though, is it would have been a choir-preaching, echo-chamber emotive argument about how "I wasn't safer".

I strongly suspect the whole, "We're stopping because of all the backlash and threats from RKBA supporters." is indeed code for, "We didn't know what we didn't know about gun ownership and carry, our hoax won't hold up to scrutiny, so were pulling the plug."
I promise not to duck.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #82 on: June 23, 2013, 11:57:40 PM »
Unless she ND's/AD's, shoots someone, or herself, or gets it stolen, assuming as mentioned before, it's not a big hoax to use as a strawman argument for an emotive soapbox rant, "nothing bad happened", and logically, she'll be proving our point, not hers.

Net result though, is it would have been a choir-preaching, echo-chamber emotive argument about how "I wasn't safer".

I strongly suspect the whole, "We're stopping because of all the backlash and threats from RKBA supporters." is indeed code for, "We didn't know what we didn't know about gun ownership and carry, our hoax won't hold up to scrutiny, so were pulling the plug."

Yes. All of that. Especially the bolded part.

cambeul41

• friend
« Reply #83 on: June 24, 2013, 12:59:00 PM »
The NYT is apparently wrong — again.

http://msmagazine.com/blog/2013/06/12/my-month-with-a-gun-week-one/

Go to the last few comments which say the follow-up articles will be published.
?It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance.?
?Thomas Sowell

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #84 on: June 24, 2013, 03:31:03 PM »
Well, I took another stab at it, reaming the magizine for not posting all the comments and saying that I don't belive there were all that many actual threats (i know there were some. This is the internet after all)
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

erictank

• friends
« Reply #85 on: June 24, 2013, 05:37:57 PM »
They've refused to post my three attempts. I'm done trying to point out the facts to them, they obviously have little to no desire to be shown how criminally-stupid that woman has chosen to be.

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #86 on: June 24, 2013, 09:27:03 PM »
Well, I took another stab at it, reaming the magizine for not posting all the comments and saying that I don't belive there were all that many actual threats (i know there were some. This is the internet after all)

I got my doubts about the threats, just like I have my doubts about the "big hairy men with guns yelling at me" at her Starbucks protest.

Not one of any of the "this is what I posted" things I saw from people on various boards was remotely threatening.  Not one.

Well, "this is the internet after all", so if there really was a threat, it came from some IP.  Get somebody to track it down.

No, they were in danger of losing control of the story they were spinning.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #87 on: June 28, 2013, 06:24:48 PM »
Huffpo finally got around to posting the first installment, yesterday.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/heidi-yewman/getting-the-gun_b_3512606.html

cambeul41

• friend
« Reply #88 on: June 28, 2013, 06:51:36 PM »
Most of the HuffPo responses were more reasonable than I expected.
?It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance.?
?Thomas Sowell

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #89 on: June 28, 2013, 07:09:25 PM »
Most of the HuffPo responses were more reasonable than I expected.

Indeed. I was pleasantly surprised.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #90 on: June 28, 2013, 08:39:45 PM »
The linky no worky. But I don't think it's fistfuls fault this time.

Googles version of the linky no worky either.

erictank

• friends
« Reply #91 on: June 28, 2013, 09:34:15 PM »
Worked just now for me.

Agreed that the comments are generally surprisingly reasonable, in pretty much every sense. Majority of commenters advise Ms. Yewman to get basic training (a couple offered to train her on the basics for free, if she was in the area), or at the very least to read the freaking owner's manual and stop lying about how easy it is to get a concealed-carry permit and firearm, vs. whatever victim-disarmament canard one cares to name (a dog license? Really?). Someone pointed out that the nonsense about the gun "just going off and killing a kid or blowing up a car" was, well, nonsense - a HuffPo member ought to point out that the Mythbusters tried their very best and couldn't get a car to blow up by several of them shooting the gas tank all at once with multiple full-autos firing incendiary rounds. They had trouble even lighting it on fire with the incendiaries, as I recall. That might be a little too much fact for her to handle, though.

Well, we'll see how it goes.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 12:09:08 AM by erictank »

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #92 on: June 28, 2013, 10:33:40 PM »
That might be a little too much fact for her to handle, though.

<snort!>  Or is it <chortle!>?

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #93 on: June 28, 2013, 10:58:25 PM »
That might be a little too much fact for her to handle, though.

That is definitely one well-turned phrase!  I salute you, sir.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.