Author Topic: Defense Distributed suing the State Dept  (Read 7018 times)

dogmush

• friend
Re: Defense Distributed suing the State Dept
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2015, 05:24:12 PM »
Can't stop the signal

>:D

And if we were talking homemade, or off the grid guns, I might take a look at electric ignition, from like a grill.  Might take some playing with to get right though.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2015, 05:32:45 PM »
And if we were talking homemade, or off the grid guns, I might take a look at electric ignition, from like a grill.  Might take some playing with to get right though.

Might as well just use a resistance wire preinstalled in a paper cartridge.  Think light bulb; one contact near the middle of the breechplug, and another in a ring around the edge.  a 9V battery through a bit of 32ga kanthal should heat up fast enough to have no noticeable "lock time."

Would want to have a touchhole (plugged with a screw) for use in case the contacts are fouled or whatever.  Remove the plug, insert something to puncture the cartridge, add a pinch of FFFFg in the hole and light it off by whatever means.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2015, 05:53:19 PM »
3D bed-less (no bed of powder) metal printing/additive manufacturing, combined with multi-axis CNC subtractive machining.

https://youtu.be/s9IdZ2pI5dA
I promise not to duck.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2015, 08:47:58 PM »
3D bed-less (no bed of powder) metal printing/additive manufacturing, combined with multi-axis CNC subtractive machining.

I just got a little chub.

That is the awesomest thing I've seen in a while.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2015, 10:40:55 PM »
^^^My gosh, that was amazing.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2015, 11:21:09 PM »

Junk. Only forged parts need apply.  :cool:
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2015, 12:37:09 AM »

Oh my! /George Takei

I thought the point of these DD guns was that "they're guns to get another gun with" or "be able to defend your family with" and as long as they let a person who is stuck in a non-permissive political environment do that then they've succeeded regardless of overall quality of the weapons themselves. That is they're not designed to be your daily shooter or carry piece and if you live in a place where gun ownership is allowed (regardless of local hassles) then you don't need to bother. Even a crap gun is better than no gun for millions of people, but for us they're crap guns.

Of course better is better and no one is going to turn up their nose at these things as the quality improves.

And isn't the big takeaway here the point that guns can be made substantially out of certain plastics, not that you can print one out? Get a blank of the right plastic and use a mill for a couple of hours instead of printing it over a couple of days. That's the important bit.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2015, 09:54:03 AM »

That really WAS better in the German.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2015, 01:39:53 PM »
Oh my! /George Takei

I thought the point of these DD guns was that "they're guns to get another gun with" or "be able to defend your family with" and as long as they let a person who is stuck in a non-permissive political environment do that then they've succeeded regardless of overall quality of the weapons themselves. That is they're not designed to be your daily shooter or carry piece and if you live in a place where gun ownership is allowed (regardless of local hassles) then you don't need to bother. Even a crap gun is better than no gun for millions of people, but for us they're crap guns.

Of course better is better and no one is going to turn up their nose at these things as the quality improves.

And isn't the big takeaway here the point that guns can be made substantially out of certain plastics, not that you can print one out? Get a blank of the right plastic and use a mill for a couple of hours instead of printing it over a couple of days. That's the important bit.

Cody Wilson (being an anarchist) is trying to show that the state can't control our access to weapons, and will be less able to do so, as technology advances. Some libertarians and anarchists believe that government will be neutered (if not eliminated) by technological progress.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2015, 01:48:58 PM »

Cody Wilson (being an anarchist) is trying to show that the state can't control our access to weapons, and will be less able to do so, as technology advances. Some libertarians and anarchists believe that government will be neutered (if not eliminated) by technological progress.

The unfortunate reality is that the march of technological progress will continue making people weak, soft, and dependent. Also scared, because progress is scary.

And those weak, soft, scared, dependent aholes vote. And hand over their power and freedom.

I believe government will be not only strengthened, but BEGGED into tyranny by the march of technological progress. Futuristic dystopia style
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2015, 06:40:06 PM »
different Liberator.

Not this one?

- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

birdman

• friend
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2015, 07:17:22 AM »
I just got a little chub.

That is the awesomest thing I've seen in a while.

Agreed.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2015, 09:52:31 AM »
I thought the point of these DD guns was that "they're guns to get another gun with" or "be able to defend your family with" and as long as they let a person who is stuck in a non-permissive political environment do that then they've succeeded regardless of overall quality of the weapons themselves.

Right, though for the "get another gun with it" goal, I'd think a simple suppressor would be a good idea to ensure you have time to deal with the other guy's sling/holster/whatever and make sure his gun is ready before his buddies come running to see what that shot was about.  Something like a pen gun would be easier to conceal when suppressed, especially if built into (or to resemble) an innocuous object like a cane, crutch or flashlight.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2015, 12:23:18 PM »
Right, though for the "get another gun with it" goal, I'd think a simple suppressor would be a good idea to ensure you have time to deal with the other guy's sling/holster/whatever and make sure his gun is ready before his buddies come running to see what that shot was about.  Something like a pen gun would be easier to conceal when suppressed, especially if built into (or to resemble) an innocuous object like a cane, crutch or flashlight.

3D printed suppressors?

Been done too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UlOm5kGqAg

Disadvantages would be durability obviously, and fine threads and concentricity with the bore. Presumably negated somewhat by the fact you're expecting it to be a relatively disposable item. Advantages of 3D printing are that it excels at making blind voids, and shapes that are impossible through traditional subtractive manufacturing.  So in theory, you can make whatever kind of gonzo-crazy shape that's the perfect fluid-dynamics solution for the caliber and velocity you're trying to achieve.

Metal 3D printed/laser sintered suppressors have also been done as well.

I'm kind of thinking that as time goes on... "guns" are going to be the LEAST of the .gov's and sundry statist worries.  What about printing anti aircraft missile parts? Mines? Artillery? Drugs? Chemical Warfare Agents? Real (biological) Viruses?

Hell, postulating zero "new" technology or materials science, just working with a snapshot of what we've got right now, Wii controllers, smartphones, Audrino and Raspberty Pi, it should be completely possible to design an open-source quadcopter drone killbot using off the shelf commercial parts. And there's probably a half-dozen ways it could be lethal without needing to procure or synthesize explosives.
I promise not to duck.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2015, 04:06:49 PM »
Disadvantages would be durability obviously, and fine threads and concentricity with the bore. Presumably negated somewhat by the fact you're expecting it to be a relatively disposable item.

Exactly; even assuming a much more restrictive society, a suppressed single shot pistol using homemade BP to propel a fishing sinker would have some advantage over a knife or club for acquiring an oppressor's gun.  If you can get within arm's reach and point it at the base of his skull from behind, it doesn't need to be particularly accurate or powerful to keep him from having any chance of resisting or calling out.