Author Topic: Overton, TX: cops shut down lemonade stand  (Read 4288 times)

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
Overton, TX: cops shut down lemonade stand
« on: June 10, 2015, 11:51:51 PM »
. . . for not having a permit:

https://www.yahoo.com/parenting/police-shut-down-girls-lemonade-stand-for-121207241667.html

Police agreed to waive the fee of the permit, which normally would cost $150. “The officer told them they had to go to city hall to get a permit,” Overton Police Chief Clyde Carter tells Yahoo Parenting. “Then the city told them they had to check with the health department, which they didn’t do.”

Let me get this straight: open carry a firearm and you're fine[1].  Try to sell lemonade and The Man will shut you down.

There is a happy ending, of sorts:

Instead of pursuing the permit, the girls will set up a new stand this Saturday, according to KLTV: Free lemonade, donations welcome.

[1]: which I fully support.
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

freakazoid

• friend
Re: Overton, TX: cops shut down lemonade stand
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2015, 12:00:54 AM »
Didn't this happen a few years ago?
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re:
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2015, 12:09:42 AM »
Someone needs a kick in the balls and a lemonade enema.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2015, 12:34:47 AM »
This happens all over the country where city councils have nothing better to do than mess with folks.  Pretty damn sad situation.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2015, 12:43:24 AM »
I keep thinking that the answer to things like this is to get as many kids as possible running lemonade stands, sans the silly permits, for weeks on end.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2015, 01:02:55 AM »
So who complained? Or do cops routinely play health dept in texas?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2015, 01:51:51 AM »
Overton Texas, population 2500 or so. Right down the road from where I grew up. You don't get the cream of the crop for police. This incident should have never happened. 30 years ago it would not have. Just goes t show you that badge wearing revenue generators will just follow orders like lemmings.
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2015, 09:32:15 AM »
I think the esteemed police chief and the honerable city manager are gonna get their a$$es handed to them. Overton is in the heart of east Texas. Traditional values still count there. A lot. Being a legalistic self-righteous prick is guaranteed to get you the wrong kind of local attention.

Judging by what I'm seeing in the news, the police chief and city manager will probably be hiding in their basements this weekend. (If they aren't already. The locals are piiiiiisssed.) Seems like that half of the state has decided to come to Overton and have some lemonade in a show of support for the girls. Anyone who tries to be an officious jerk may well find themselves duct taped to a lawn chair for the day.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2015, 10:27:34 AM »
How big do you think the bribe the girls gave the cop for all the free advertising was?

[tinfoil]

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2015, 10:38:08 AM »
Seems like that half of the state has decided to come to Overton and have some lemonade in a show of support for the girls.

If it was closer, I'd go, but it's a bit over 3 hours from here.  Might try to send some friends that live in Tyler and Longview, but I suspect they're not responding to FB messages because they're already there.

The $150 fee strikes me as a bit silly too; here it's $15 for a 30 day permit, though sometimes a $25 investigation fee is added in certain cases.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2015, 10:44:18 AM »
And this is just another reason why I can't trust anything from the press anymore.

Heard this story on Headline News while I got ready for work.  The HLN version indicated that police were called after a complaint about traffic.  Police shut it down because of (1) no permit and (2) health department regs on food for sale.  Story then indicated that police gave mom the information about who to talk to, how to get things squared away so the sale could continue the next day.  Story ended by saying that the girls could give away their food and drink, take donations for their cause (buy Dad a Father's Day gift), and no permit or inspections would be required.

Now, there's a significant difference between these stories.  The version in the OP makes the cops look like the bad guys driving down the street and picking on little girls, and then the .gov people look bad for requiring the permit.  The HLN version makes it sound like police and .gov employees doing their jobs as they have to, but also helping the girls continue with their stand.

Sad thing is that both versions are believable, but one is clearly written to show a bias.  Which one, I don't know.  My point: if the press is playing games with a story this insignificant, what kind of crap are they doing with the big stories?
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2015, 10:48:15 AM »
And this is just another reason why I can't trust anything from the press anymore.

Heard this story on Headline News while I got ready for work.  The HLN version indicated that police were called after a complaint about traffic.  Police shut it down because of (1) no permit and (2) health department regs on food for sale.  Story then indicated that police gave mom the information about who to talk to, how to get things squared away so the sale could continue the next day.  Story ended by saying that the girls could give away their food and drink, take donations for their cause (buy Dad a Father's Day gift), and no permit or inspections would be required.

Now, there's a significant difference between these stories.  The version in the OP makes the cops look like the bad guys driving down the street and picking on little girls, and then the .gov people look bad for requiring the permit.  The HLN version makes it sound like police and .gov employees doing their jobs as they have to, but also helping the girls continue with their stand.

Sad thing is that both versions are believable, but one is clearly written to show a bias.  Which one, I don't know.  My point: if the press is playing games with a story this insignificant, what kind of crap are they doing with the big stories?

There was a day in America where the cops would have just been lemonade customers, and the only thing that would have made the blotter would have been an accident, assault, rape or murder.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2015, 11:28:35 AM »
There was a day in America where the cops would have just been lemonade customers, and the only thing that would have made the blotter would have been an accident, assault, rape or murder.

...and it wasn't that long ago.   :'(
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2015, 12:24:59 PM »
...and it wasn't that long ago.   :'(

Poached frog legs, anyone?
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2015, 03:34:28 PM »
I guess that is why all the money raising car washes down here are for donation.  We probably have the same rule just no one has shut down a little girls lemonade stand. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2015, 03:41:43 PM »
A principal at some Florida school got fired/reassigned to administrative duties.  http://townhall.com/columnists/toddstarnes/2015/06/11/he-did-nothing-wrong-florida-principal-fired-after-defending-texas-cop-n2011348

Just who  was it that contacted the press after the cops came by?  Why would they have done that?

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2015, 04:00:17 PM »
A principal at some Florida school got fired/reassigned to administrative duties.  http://townhall.com/columnists/toddstarnes/2015/06/11/he-did-nothing-wrong-florida-principal-fired-after-defending-texas-cop-n2011348

Just who  was it that contacted the press after the cops came by?  Why would they have done that?

stay safe.

First story sucks to high heaven...but knowing things like that happen is why I don't comment publicly on anything anymore.  Especially on Facebook or a news sites comment section.  Someone would get butthurt, call my boss to complain, and it would be nothing but trouble.

Second, on the press thing...listening to people milling around the courthouse, it seems that the S.O.P. these days if you have any involvement with the police is to call the press.  Guess if you can't win in court, you hope to win in the court of public opinion.  Which sometimes is more important in modern America.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2015, 05:33:42 PM »
You at least don't use your real name for commenting. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

HankB

• friend
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2015, 06:26:53 PM »
Once again, the actions of law enforcement officials help young minds develop an opinion about "their" police.

And then they wonder why support and respect for LEO's has diminished over the past several decades.  :facepalm:
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2015, 07:48:47 PM »

On the other hand;
He did not retract what he wrote nor did he apologize for what he wrote.

At least he's got the guts to stand behind his opinion.  I'm sure there are still some employers who will value that, though I suspect he's going to have to go into a different field to find one.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2015, 09:54:04 PM »

Second, on the press thing...listening to people milling around the courthouse, it seems that the S.O.P. these days if you have any involvement with the police is to call the press.  Guess if you can't win in court, you hope to win in the court of public opinion.  Which sometimes is more important in modern America.

Ah, the glory of the 1st Amendment! It's a feature, not a fault.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2015, 10:59:52 PM »
On the lemonade stand, I heard a comment today that the quickest way to get bad laws removed is to enforce them to the maximum extent.  Those people shouldn't be going after the cops so much as the mayor and council that set up those laws.  
« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 11:55:32 AM by MechAg94 »

zahc

• friend
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2015, 07:37:30 AM »
Yeah,  if we value the rule of law,  don't we want them enforced equally and as - written?  Asking the cops to selective enforce laws just makes their job even more no-win.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2015, 11:56:31 AM »
« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 05:18:04 PM by MechAg94 »

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2015, 03:54:51 PM »
Yeah,  if we value the rule of law,  don't we want them enforced equally and as - written?  Asking the cops to selective enforce laws just makes their job even more no-win.

Because shutting down dangerous lemonade stands is a great use of the police state.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”