Author Topic: Best. Line. Ever from the Guardian about the Dems blowing it...  (Read 2223 times)

Manedwolf

• friend
And this is a liberal paper! The last line made me choke on my coffee. cheesy

My colleagues in the American liberal press had little to fear at the start of the week. Their charismatic candidate was ahead in virtually every poll. George W Bush was so unpopular that conservatives were scrambling around for reasons not to invite the Republican President to the Republican convention. Democrats had only to maintain their composure and the White House would be theirs. During the 1997 British general election, the late Lord Jenkins said that Tony Blair was like a man walking down a shiny corridor carrying a precious vase. He was the favourite and held his fate in his hands. If he could just reach the end of the hall without a slip, a Labour victory was assured. The same could have been said of the American Democrats last week. But instead of protecting their precious advantage, they succumbed to a spasm of hatred and threw the vase, the crockery, the cutlery and the kitchen sink at an obscure politician from Alaska.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2008/sep/07/uselections2008.republicans2008

Ned Hamford

• friend
Re: Best. Line. Ever from the Guardian about the Dems blowing it...
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2005, 10:18:52 PM »
Roy Zimmerman 'How Can We Lose'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loHMMDJnQG4
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

Dntsycnt

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2005, 10:18:52 PM »
That is pretty humorous, though I think they were probably struck a mortal blow no matter how they responded to Palin's appearance.

agricola

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2005, 10:18:52 PM »
Thats actually from "Comment is Free" (CiF), the most prominent part of the Guardian's online arm, rather than the Guardian itself - they do occasionally have reasonably sane pieces on there, but the vast majority of the articles are insanely pro-Obama and taken directly from Huffington and Kos.

Nick Cohen (the author) however is an interesting fellow who has migrated from the left towards conservatism; he is wrong about some stuff but that article was very close to the mark, hence the vast outpouring of grief within the Comments field.
"Idiot!  A long life eating mush is best."
"Make peace, you fools"

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2005, 10:18:52 PM »
I think the Palin pick would have attracted voters anyway and it did energize conservatives, however, I do agree that the Democrats reaction so far is pretty bad and only exaggerates the Palin impact.  It seems they are throwing everything against the wall to see what sticks.  Little has stuck and the negative effort is not looked on very well by a lot of people.  Certainly is upsets a lot of women who are in favor of seeing a woman as VP.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

GingerGuy

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2005, 10:18:52 PM »
And to think the MSM will continue to throw things against the wall until Nov. 4th... angry

The one good think is they will continue to lose readership/viewership numbers and continue their financial failings. 

grampster

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2005, 10:18:52 PM »
I was laughing almost to the point of tears this afternoon. In the grocery check out line, the National Enquirer front page has a picture of Gov. Palin and a huge block headline:  WHAT IS SHE HIDING!
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw