Author Topic: Stalingrad movie  (Read 521 times)

freakazoid

• friend
Stalingrad movie
« on: March 01, 2014, 12:36:02 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOQnAsHLg5M

Just got back from seeing it. It was pretty good. It was made in Russia so you have to read it if you want to watch it, unless you happen to be able to speak Russian.

I'm kind of surprised there aren't more movies made here about the war over there. Only one that comes to mind is Enemy at the Gates. Only reason I can think of is that for the longest time we weren't exactly friends with the Russians so there probably wasn't any great desire to make a movie glorifying their soldiers. But there has got to be a lot of great story material.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

dogmush

• friend
Re: Stalingrad movie
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2014, 12:59:11 AM »
There's actually quite a few movies about the Great Patriotic War. They're just Russian. The USSR had a pretty big film industry. My high school Russian class watched a bunch of them.  I'd guess they are as historically accurate as ours are.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2014, 02:06:13 AM »
Hmm . . . not the Stalingrad movie I was thinking of:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6thQKSNBSo

But this one looks watchable too.
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2014, 06:59:42 AM »
Days of Glory was the only Hollywood movie made about the Russian front during the War. It was Gregory Peck's Hollywood debut.

After that, the Cold War kicked in, and the Russians were no longer so heroic.

There's also Cross of Iron, made in 1977. Sam Peckinpaugh, so you know it's full of shootouts and angst.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.