Author Topic: Kahr pistols  (Read 2382 times)

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Kahr pistols
« on: October 15, 2017, 07:40:47 PM »
Opinions on Kahr?  I shot the CT9 today and was surprised
Thoughts?
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

mtnbkr

• friend
Re: Kahr pistols
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2017, 07:47:52 PM »
To quote a phrase: Get a Glock.  I bought a used Kahr K9 (all steel gun) that I had thoroughly vetted before buying (including shooting in multiple occasions).  It developed a nasty jam that Kahr couldn't even resolve after multiple trips to the factory (at my expense) and multiple replaced parts.  They eventually replaced the gun, which I sold unfired.  The used Glock 19 I now own has never jammed even after 1k rounds through it since I purchased it.

The CT9 is very similar to the Glock 43.  You might give that a look if you're shopping for a singlestack 9mm.

I resisted Glocks for years because they're ugly and ubiquitous, but the damn things do shoot and are reliable. 

Chris

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2017, 08:06:59 PM »
I had a Kahr P9 for a while, which went back to the factory several times. It had problems with premature slide lock, failure to chamber, failure to lock the slide back, trigger pin walkout, and failure of the trigger to actuate the striker.

In my case, Kahr DID pay shipping both ways every time it went back and ultimately replaced the gun, but I traded the replacement - unfired - for a Glock 26. The G26 isn't as nice a package, but it has the virtue of actually WORKING no matter how I shoot it - upright, sideways, upside down, limp wrist with loose grip - it just plain WORKS.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2017, 09:02:23 PM »
I had an all steel Kahr E9 a few years back.  I loved the size of the pistol, and the grip fit my hand well.  Could have been a keeper...except it had a nasty habit of not going into battery.  Tried new springs, tried several different types of ammo, even tried polishing the chamber.  Nope, about once a range session.  Traded it away.  Wish my SIG P225A1 was closer in size to the Kahr, but my SIG works every time...
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2017, 09:31:21 PM »
I've got a CW40 that's been great. I've had it maybe 7-8 years and use a Crossbreed holster.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2017, 10:02:27 PM »
Reliability is an issue of concern...
This would be the wife's gun.  Looking for something around that size.4" bbl single stacked 9 would be ideal.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2017, 10:09:07 PM »
Check out the XD-S 4 with 8 round mag. The blocks are good just don't feel good to me.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2017, 10:20:41 PM »
Ditto on the XDS.  Available in 4", but you see the 3.3" much more.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2017, 10:35:32 PM »
Also an XDs fan, but I'm sure the Glock 43 is a good choice, too. The Shield seems to be everyone's favorite gun of that size/caliber/capacity. My only problem with the Springfield (aside from their political misstep) is that I never see holsters for them locally.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2017, 10:36:37 PM »
Based on side by side of the XDS .45 and the Shield .45, both are good but (and this pains me so much to admit) the Shield has the softer recoil.

Mind you, I never abused the Shield like I did the XDS, but everything I've heard about the S&W polymer striker fires leads me to think they are just as reliable.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2017, 10:56:18 PM »
This would be the wife's gun.  Looking for something around that size.4" bbl single stacked 9 would be ideal.

CZ-75 Compact for the win.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2017, 11:23:50 PM »
I am waiting to actually lay eyes upon the new Shield 2.0, which I understand will be out in a few weeks.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2017, 11:49:23 PM »

Find something she likes and will shoot. Smaller Sig's, Glock single stacks, STI or better in 9mm, or maybe a wheel? Skip the kahr. I daily carried a MK40 for several years that I made reliable, and it took work.

The K40 never was reliable, had to go back to the factory because incorrect barrel lockup was threatening to make it a blowback compact .40. I got it back, screwed with the slide stop until it got reliable enough for me to sell with a clean concious and that was it for me and kahr. My experience is that some issue with the slide stop in mid recoil cycle is an achilles heel, having seen several generations with several different slide stop spring designs makes me think they were trying to fix it. The barrel thing was egregious. I would like it to old para ordnance where you could get a really cool gun that fit a niche like no other, but if you got the gun that Bill built on Tuesday when he was mad at his wife, you were hosed. I used to shoot with a para factory shooter, they wouldn't disagree. So, skip the kahr.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2017, 11:58:20 PM »
Briefly owned a CW9.  Traded it after a couple of range sessions,  didn't like how it shot and the random jam got old.  Put less than 300 rnds through it,  so I wouldn't call that a thorough test.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2017, 06:18:30 AM »
I had a Kahr E9 years ago.  I liked it.  Mine shot well and ran well, but I didn't like the trigger.  The trigger is long and spongy which made quick shots more difficult.  I wouldn't take it off the list just yet, but I think there are better options available.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2017, 08:16:15 AM »
She already has a shield.  It's a fine gun but she doesn't like shooting it.  We might stray into compact double stack territory as well. 
JD

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2017, 08:29:36 AM »
Don't you know that the wimminz are always supposed to have revolvers because they're not strong enough to rack the slide?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2017, 09:08:43 AM »
Buy her more shoes and she will forget about a gun.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2017, 09:21:05 AM »
Don't you know that the wimminz are always supposed to have revolvers because they're not strong enough to rack the slide?

I *expletive deleted*it you not the Kahr guy was all like "this one is very popular with the ladies" as he shows me their smallest 380 with laser.
This was after I'd spent about 5 minutes playing with the 4" 9mm's they had.  I may have said "My wife's used to handling bigger things then that"....  :angel:
JD

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2017, 09:27:08 AM »
We might stray into compact double stack territory as well. 

I prefer the M&P over the Xd, but either would probably work for her.  The Sig 320 is pretty good, too, but I've never tried their compact size. 
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2017, 09:27:54 AM »
My wife really likes her PPS, FWIW.

The EMP 4" is one of the slickest singlestack 9s I've sen in a while.

I have an XDS, but have been unable to fall in love with it. It works, but I'm just meh on it.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2017, 09:28:52 AM »
"My wife's used to handling bigger things then that"

You make a terrible liar.... :rofl:

I really liked the Kahr K9 I had. It was an early one with the tight chamber, which gave me problems with handloads, but for me it was reliable with factory ammo, accurate, easy to shoot, and fit my hand really well.

I decided to pare back on the number of 9mms I had after I bought my P7, and decided that the K9 would go. So I sold it to Mtnbkr, and that's when it went to *expletive deleted*it. Started jamming regularly for him with factory ammo.

I felt really bad about it, but as he pointed out, he had shot it quite a few times, and I had even loaned it to him several times to shoot when I wasn't there, so he wasn't upset it me. As he noted below, several trips back to Kahr didn't solve the issue. I'm still baffled over that one.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2017, 09:35:25 AM »
My wife really likes her PPS, FWIW.

The EMP 4" is one of the slickest singlestack 9s I've sen in a while.

I have an XDS, but have been unable to fall in love with it. It works, but I'm just meh on it.
I know someone with an EMP 4".  I have shot it and can say I agree.  It is a slick little gun that is fun and easy to shoot.  If the cost didn't stop me, I would have one.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2017, 09:48:47 AM »
I used to have a Kahr P9.  It worked okay, but I was never fully satisfied with the reliability.  It would work fine if it was clean.  If I shot it one weekend then left it uncleaned, the next weekend it would have issues if I shot it dirty.  Other guns will take abuse better IMO.  I use better oils and probably clean them better now also.

Other foibles:  Sometimes when loading it off a full mag, it would hang up on feeding.  That never happened during firing but it still bugged me.  Also, sometimes if you pulled the slide back a little too hard, it would jam open.  I think this was due to plastic slide rails on the frame.  I think the newer models don't have that issue, but I am not sure. 

On the plus side, it was very light and slim and accurate despite being a small pistol. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2017, 09:53:35 AM »
"My wife's used to handling bigger things then that"

You make a terrible liar.... :rofl:
He's not lying.  He was referring to his 4" 9mm.