Author Topic: Scientists Surprised at nothing  (Read 2148 times)

Ned Hamford

• friend
Scientists Surprised at nothing
« on: August 26, 2007, 06:28:55 AM »
Astronomers Find Huge Hole in Universe
By SETH BORENSTEIN,AP
Posted: 2007-08-25 23:05:48
Filed Under: Science News
(Aug. 24) - Astronomers have stumbled upon a tremendous hole in the universe. That's got them scratching their heads about what's just not there. The cosmic blank spot has no stray stars, no galaxies, no sucking black holes, not even mysterious dark matter. It is 1 billion light years across of nothing. That's a giant expanse of nearly 6 billion trillion miles of emptiness, a University of Minnesota team announced Thursday.

Photo Gallery: Amazing Space Photos
 NASA / AP Galaxies in deep space are captured in a photograph by the Hubble Space Telescope in 2005. Scientists announced Thursday that they found a void in the universe that's far bigger than they ever imagined.
    1 of 11
Astronomers have known for many years that there are patches in the universe where nobody's home. In fact, one such place is practically a neighbor, a mere 2 million light years away. But what the Minnesota team discovered, using two different types of astronomical observations, is a void that's far bigger than scientists ever imagined.

"This is 1,000 times the volume of what we sort of expected to see in terms of a typical void," said Minnesota astronomy professor Lawrence Rudnick, author of the paper that will be published in Astrophysical Journal. "It's not clear that we have the right word yet ... This is too much of a surprise."

Rudnick was examining a sky survey from the National Radio Astronomy Observatory, which essentially takes radio pictures of a broad expanse of the universe. But one area of the universe had radio pictures indicating there was up to 45 percent less matter in that region, Rudnick said.

The rest of the matter in the radio pictures can be explained as stars and other cosmic structures between here and the void, which is about 5 to 10 billion light years away.

Rudnick then checked observations of cosmic microwave background radiation and found a cold spot. The only explanation, Rudnick said, is it's empty of matter.

It could also be a statistical freak of nature, but that's probably less likely than a giant void, said James Condon, an astronomer at the National Radio Astronomy Observatory. He wasn't part of Rudnick's team but is following up on the research.

"It looks like something to be taken seriously," said Brent Tully, a University of Hawaii astronomer who wasn't part of this research but studies the void closer to Earth.

Tully said astronomers may eventually find a few cosmic structures in the void, but it would still be nearly empty.

Holes in the universe probably occur when the gravity from areas with bigger mass pull matter from less dense areas, Tully said. After 13 billion years "they are losing out in the battle to where there are larger concentrations of matter," he said.

Retired NASA  astronomer Steve Maran said of the discovery: "This is incredibly important for something where there is nothing to it."

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

wmenorr67

• friend
Re: Scientists Surprised at nothing
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2007, 06:35:03 AM »
So nothing is new in the scientific world.  So how much money is the government going to give to these scientist to study nothing?
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2007, 06:40:02 AM »
Theres nothing to see here.......
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2007, 07:02:53 AM »
Some alien civilization lived there, and they accidentally divided reality by zero?  smiley

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2007, 07:14:52 AM »

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2007, 08:21:57 AM »
It is 1 billion light years across of nothing.

What, no photo?  grin
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2007, 08:44:19 AM »
Hey Chris, maybe that's where Monkey County is going to put the ICC?

Inside joke for people who live in DC metro.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2007, 01:40:55 PM »
"Behold the wormhole weapon... A tombstone of an empty void were we all used to live and play and slaughter the innocent..."

If space/time does indeed have structure, I'm not overly surprised that there are regions devoid of matter/energy.  Maybe one day some enterprising marketing dweeb will sell it as the ultimate place "get away from it all".  grin
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2007, 02:06:22 PM »
I think that's what it is, Sindawe.  A place where God can remember the good old days, before he created all this stuff.   smiley
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2007, 02:25:44 PM »
I think that's what it is, Sindawe.  A place where God can remember the good old days, before he created all this stuff.   smiley

lol, Cheesy
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2007, 08:34:18 PM »
Scientists Surprised at Nothing
"Shepherd Book said they was men who just reached the edge of space, saw a vasty nothingness, and went bibbledy over it."

grin grin grin
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2007, 10:01:18 AM »
Some alien civilization lived there, and they accidentally divided reality by zero?  smiley

Arthur C. Clarke once quipped that there are no supernovae, just really, really, really, really, bad "industrial accidents".
I promise not to duck.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2007, 10:09:39 AM »

Arthur C. Clarke once quipped that there are no supernovae, just really, really, really, really, bad "industrial accidents".

I remember an old SF short story wherein a supernova turned out not to have been a nova at all. The star was still there, just shredded. Turned out the inhabitants of a planet there had been messing with the zero-point domain, and a mini Big Bang took out their planet and entire solar system.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2007, 11:33:04 AM »

I've seen a few books with that exact theme. In fact Clarke worked it into the final installment of the 2001 series "3001". In 3001 Frank Poole is discovered in a trans Neptunian cometary orbit from when Dave Bowman released his corpse in transit to Jupiter, and is re-animated with nanotechnology etc.

As he's making his way through life as a dignitary in 3001, one of the other characters mentions a relatively nearby (in galactic terms) supernova. What was disturbing is that it was proceeded by a gamma-ray burster event on one of it's orbiting planets. It was decided it was either an alien civilization's zero-point energy "oops" that destroyed the planet and destroyed it's star through thermal overheating of the incoming gamma flux, or.. More chilling, the assumed monolith watching them in their star system had decided that they didn't "measure up".

Then when Poole gets in touch with the "space ghosts" of HAL and David Bowman from 2001 and 2010, that the round trip time at the speed of light for the Solar System's monoliths and their local control sub-station in the Milky Way is about 1000 years, and humanity is about to be judged based on the state of affairs of the 20th and early 21st centuries, and not the peaceable utopia of 3001.

Oops.
I promise not to duck.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2007, 01:34:36 PM »
There's a wormhole connected to Miss Teen USA S. Carolina's head...
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2007, 01:50:27 PM »
"Ten percent of nothing is -- let me do the math here -- nothing into nothing, carry the -- "

Jayne Cobb, Public Relations
Firefly
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

DJJ

• friend
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2007, 05:06:22 PM »
I predict there's a giant amoeba in it.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2007, 07:27:47 PM »
I'm filling out the forms for a government grant.  I can spend the rest of my life studing 'nothing', and my final report will just say "42".

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Archie

• friend
  • Galactic Effectuator
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2007, 01:32:36 PM »
Fistful, I'm with you.  My first thought was, "God just wanted to make a quiet place."

Who knows what else we'll find when we start realize what we're seeing?  What a marvelous place is this Universe.

Just out of curiousity, does anyone realize how incredibly big is this 'void'?  One billion light years is 1,000,000,000; our galaxy is 100,000 light years across.  That's a whole lot of nothing goin' on.
As long as the citizens of the United States own and keep personal weapons, we can argue about all the other issues that concern us.  The instant we lose the ability to keep weapons, our masters will decide all those other issues for us.