Author Topic: What Is This? Highway sensor installation at checkpoint  (Read 2062 times)

Parker Dean

• friend
What Is This? Highway sensor installation at checkpoint
« on: August 17, 2005, 06:23:10 PM »
One of the Border Patrol checkpoints I pass through has some new construction going on. The pic below has at it's left side a pole with what looks like four camera modules. What you can't see is that there are three other similar poles, one just out of frame to the right and two on the other side directly opposite, forming a rectangle about two car-lengths long. Also, the opposite lanes have a similar installation. All "cameras" are aimed so that their sight lines intersect in the middle of the highway.

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2005, 07:35:14 PM »
Its some sort of fast pass thing for truckers.  Keeps them from having to weigh in at every weigh station or something like that.  Explained to me once, but nevcer paid attention.

EDIT: Whoops, missed the border patrol part, and your windshield crack (should get that fixed) obscured the rest of the sign.  Dunno, probably just want video if someone forces their way through, or they discover a problem later.  Outting multiple cameras at different anles gives you a better view, as well as preventing a larger vehicle from obscuring the view at precisely the right moment.
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2005, 10:25:46 PM »
The camera hits both your plates and under your car (and probably each passenger and driver). I would assume that this information is stored in a computer for future reference. Im not sure what else they are supposed to do though.

Im suprised you are just getting those, we have had them at the Bellingham/B.C. crossing for years.

TarpleyG

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2005, 10:58:47 AM »
I am sure it's for the trucks like jefnvk stated.  They have an in-cab system like a toll-tag you use for the toll roads.  Helps keep track of the trucks.

Greg

Parker Dean

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2005, 08:02:18 PM »
Quote from: jefnvk
EDIT: Whoops, missed the border patrol part, and your windshield crack (should get that fixed) obscured the rest of the sign.  Dunno, probably just want video if someone forces their way through, or they discover a problem later.  Outting multiple cameras at different anles gives you a better view, as well as preventing a larger vehicle from obscuring the view at precisely the right moment.
Bah, it's Texas. ALL the windshields are cracked Smiley

Interesting thing about the mounting of the "cameras". I went through the Southbound version this afternoon, followed by an 18-wheeler. I happened to notice that the topmost enclosure is below the cab window height, just about even with the bottom of the windshield.

Personally, I doubt this has anything to do with State highway use. The pictured installation is within a 1000ft of the checkpoint while the opposite lanes are right next to the checkpoint itself. If it were State equipment then it would be about 15-20 miles further on where the State weigh station is, IMO. I think this is for one of those face-recognition systems, but why have the modules that face the rear of the vehicle then?

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2005, 08:39:14 PM »
Yeah, I should have pulled the rest out of thre.  I seen 'Trucks' on the sign and failed to read the post fully.  I'm sticking with my second guess, that they just want viode of everyone that approached teh border, just in case.
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

Gun Runner

• friend
  • Citizens United Negating Tyranny
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2005, 08:53:27 AM »
It's definately not one of the sensors for trucks to bypass a weight station.  Those have 2 side support poles and an iron beam that goes over the highway with the sensor mounted in the middle.  They also happen to be right by the weigh station.
"I once took the high road and it took me straight to hell, and I stood there all by myself" - III

thorn

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2005, 09:20:46 AM »
>>It's definately not one of the sensors for trucks to bypass a weight station.  Those have 2 side support poles and an iron beam that goes over the highway with the sensor mounted in the middle.  They also happen to be right by the weigh station.<<<

exactly, they don't have cameras either, just sensors.
Ha! i bypasss weigh stations (well, the two i have to deal with) the old fashioned way=
get off the freeway and go Around! ha ha.

>>>I think this is for one of those face-recognition systems, but why have the modules that face the rear of the vehicle then?<<<<<

totally possible- figure they are also gonna snap the licsense plate photos, front and reAR.....

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2005, 09:40:01 AM »
Anytime I see a camera on a highway I make sure I show them who is number one. I imagine flipping the bird is somehow goign to get me in trouboe someday. I do the same thing in front of ATM and places that have cameras everywhere.

Charby
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Parker Dean

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2005, 08:46:23 PM »
Noticed something else today. They must have turned the things on sometime in the last few days because now you can see a red light in the top-most enclosure. It's a quick blip, less than half a second right as you pass by, and the light looks a lot like a LED type stop light bulb, only a lot dimmer.

Also, if it's for Immigration then why are the Southbound lanes covered too?

And yeah, it's too easy to ask at the Checkpoint Cheesy (not that you, or they, have much time for extraneous conversation)

thorn

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2005, 08:59:32 PM »
>>>>>They must have turned the things on sometime in the last few days because now you can see a red light in the top-most enclosure. It's a quick blip, less than half a second right as you pass by, and the light looks a lot like a LED type stop light bulb, only a lot dimmer.<<<<<<<

so jsut an on/off indicator? or does the lgiht do somethign?
here the red light cmaeras have a very red flash for some reason, i guess night vision.=
is this possibly some infrared addition or is the area super lit up?

>>>Also, if it's for Immigration then why are the Southbound lanes covered too?<<<

escaping terrorists, etc, non mexicans fleeing to mexico

Parker Dean

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2005, 06:07:33 PM »
Quote from: thorn
so jsut an on/off indicator? or does the lgiht do somethign?
here the red light cmaeras have a very red flash for some reason, i guess night vision.=
is this possibly some infrared addition or is the area super lit up?
I suspect it's infra-red illumination. As for how lit the area is at night, I have yet to pass through at night after this new construction. You can see a light pole in the pic. That pole is part of the new construction. I probably won't pass through that area in the dark until after the time change this fall.