Author Topic: What is Pickins' Plan?  (Read 2547 times)

zahc

• friend
What is Pickins' Plan?
« on: November 05, 2009, 08:12:07 PM »
I just went to a seminar with T. Boone Pickins. He has this plan thing, to save us by reducing our dependence on foreign oil. I agree that this is a noble goal, but the pickinsplan.com website uses a lot of fuzzy, alarming language about all the things "we" must do and the "plans" we need to have for "our" future...the kind of language that usually translates into "there ought to be a law....". I literally can't figure out on the website what kind of legislation/legal reality/angle there is. I know there must be one, though.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Physics

• ∇xE=-1/c·∂B/∂t, ∇·E=4πρ, ∇·B=0, ∇xB=1/c·∂E/∂t, F=q(E+v/cxB)
  • friend
Re: What is Pickins' Plan?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2009, 08:18:44 PM »
I just went to a seminar with T. Boone Pickins. He has this plan thing, to save us by reducing our dependence on foreign oil. I agree that this is a noble goal, but the pickinsplan.com website uses a lot of fuzzy, alarming language about all the things "we" must do and the "plans" we need to have for "our" future...the kind of language that usually translates into "there ought to be a law....". I literally can't figure out on the website what kind of legislation/legal reality/angle there is. I know there must be one, though.

It's a way for T. Boone Pickens to make money of course.  He's an oil guy that sees a huge movement away from oil, or in other words, a money making opportunity. 
In the world of science, there is physics.  Everything else is stamp collecting.  -Ernest Rutherford

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2009, 08:23:23 PM »
Pickens had a plan to develop at big wind farm, all in the name of <insert cause of choice>.  Curious media types eventually found out what was going on was Pickens' wind farm was a vehicle for grabbing mineral and water rights for a certain strategic piece of land.  His goal was to control water rights to a large western city and not <insert cause of choice>.  At some point in the recent past the wind farm excuse dried up and the whole scam went away.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

zahc

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2009, 08:24:29 PM »
Well, he's still touring around with lots of people in fancy cars giving seminars over his 'plan', whatever that is. Supposedly he have 11 million dollars to my school.

It's a way for T. Boone Pickens to make money of course.  He's an oil guy that sees a huge movement away from oil, or in other words, a money making opportunity.

So great...but is that all it is? Or is it just an attempt to score pork? I'm all for people trying to make money, but something tells me there is a legal favoritism/subsidy angle.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2009, 08:35:20 PM »
Pickens is a former oil guy.  He made a pile of money of a bunch of oil claims in (I think) Texas that are now drying up.  His big "plan" is to have the government invest bajillions of dollars to transition the country off of oil and coal and onto natural gas and wind energy.  He says it'd do all sorts of grand things for our country and our national security and for the envronment and the economy and whatever else.

Actually, all it'd do is pad his own bottom line.  His oil wells may be dry, but he still has lots of natural gas.  NG isn't worth much in the current gasoline-based economy, but it could be extremely valuable if we switched to running cars and trucks on NG.  And he was, may still be, positioning himself bigtime into the wind industry, buying up turbine companies and wind farm leases and whatnot.  

Making a major infrastructure transition of this sort is extremely difficult and expensive.  That's where FedGov comes in.  Pickens wants FedGov to pay for all of the transition costs. 

It's a brilliant scheme, actually.  Now that he doesn't have any more oil to sell, he wants everyone stop buying oil and start buying wind and NG.  And once the nation has made the transition (at taxpayer expense), it'd be costly and difficult to switch away to something else.  We'd be locked into his wind and NG in the same way we're all now locked into oil.

crt360

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2009, 09:05:40 PM »
Pickens has been working the water angle for some time now.  It's my understanding that he was in a position to make plenty of loot in wind energy in Texas, but the transmission lines to get energy from where wind is (out where Brad Johnson lives) to where most of the people are (along I-35) could not be put in place fast enough and he backed out, putting roughly 700 turbines up for sale.  More recently, a Chinese group has invested $1.5 billion in their own West Texas wind farm.
For entertainment purposes only.

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2009, 11:23:33 PM »
crt360 is correct.  I just got back from a two-day meeting with an investment fund that is very involved in the developing wind energy industry.  They stated that Pickens abandoned the project because he had underestimated the importance of obtaining "rights" close to either existing transmission infrastructure or infrastructure that is virtually certain to be built in the near future.
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

zahc

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2009, 09:28:05 AM »
His big "plan" is to have the government invest bajillions of dollars

Ah, as I suspected.
--Tallpine

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2009, 09:53:23 AM »
Thought it was about Slim Pickens, but he's been gone for a while now.   =D
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2009, 01:41:49 PM »
Pickins big plan is very simple: Make more money for Pickins.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2009, 09:51:03 PM »
Which brings to mind the question, oil patches are pretty much eyesores anyway, and people can't live there during extraction nor probably after without expensive remediation, so why wouldn't the property owners want to put in a wind farm maybe with solar underneath?

Throw in sequestering CO2 (piped in from refineries and such) which increases remaining oil/gas production and it seems like a win-win-win-win.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2009, 10:30:31 PM »
why wouldn't the property owners want to put in a wind farm maybe with solar underneath?
Because the smelly goopy black stuff is worth a helluva lot more than wind and solar.

Physics

• ∇xE=-1/c·∂B/∂t, ∇·E=4πρ, ∇·B=0, ∇xB=1/c·∂E/∂t, F=q(E+v/cxB)
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2009, 12:48:22 AM »
Because the smelly goopy black stuff is worth a helluva lot more than wind and solar.

And when it's not, America will be over it's dependence on oil.
In the world of science, there is physics.  Everything else is stamp collecting.  -Ernest Rutherford

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2009, 07:06:29 AM »

I didn't say "instead of" I said "on top of".  Once the wells are producing you don't need derricks anymore, just pumps and injectors. And those aren't right on top of each other in any event.

The air above and most of the dirt is empty and useless for anything else cash producing.

So there's no reason you couldn't install panels and wind turbines on the same land to provide the juice to run the show, pump refineries and power plants scrubbed CO2 back into the wells to increase yield pressures and sell any excess electricity back to the utility, meanwhile earning tax credits six different ways and hippy voter karma to boot.

Seems like all it would take is some pencil whipping, likely you could get the .gov to pay for much of the capital investment one way or another.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2009, 08:03:50 AM »
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/2060605/posts

Nancy Pelosi Invests In Energy Scheme and Water Grab By T. Boone Pickens
#DontGO ^ | 08-11-08

Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 1:12:37 PM by MNJohnnie

Nancy Pelosi says that she is trying to save the planet and prevent global warming, but the reality is that, according to disclosure statements, in May 2007 she invested in T. Boone Picken’s clean energy fuels corp., CLNE, which is the sole sponsor of a proposal in California to funnel $5 billion in state funds and $5 billion in Federal funs to this corporation which will indirectly help them create a giant wind farm in the Texas panhandle.

An overlooked story in November of 2007 shows that the T. Boone Pickens plan involves the private control of water, which Pickens wants to be able to sell to big cities via giant water pipelines which will be built on land seized under eminent domain.

How did he do this? He did this by pushing through a “water district” which consists of only 8 acres of land and then applying eminent domain to expand that district and seize land from local ranchers which, in the end, puts vital water resources under his private control.

The Sierra Club, which you might think has an opinion that means something to Nancy Pelosi who just wants to “save the world”, had this to say, “We have real concerns about private control of water,” said Ken Kramer, director of the Texas Sierra Club. “Water is a resource, yet in some respects it is a commodity. It’s as essential to human life as air. That puts water in a different class.”

Pickens plans to sell 200,000 acre-feet from parched West Texas Staked Plains annually. His plan is opposed by water policy planners as economically infeasible. This extensive extraction will affect natural spring flows and the rural Texas Panhandle communities that depend on that water. It will also adversely affect family farming and sustainable development from Texas to South Dakota, according to opponents.

Pickens needs money and he has not been able to find investors to pay for a $110 Billion Bond he wants his new “water authority” to issue, therefore he is piggy-backing the windmill plan on to the water infrastructure development plan to use the money obtained for the wind farms in order to pay for the water infrastructure, which was his original goal.

While these plans were in the works as of November 2007, with the creation of this “water district”, the energy company, CLNE, was offered for public investment in an IPO in May of 2007, an IPO that was not advertised, but which resulted in Nancy Pelosi quickly jumping on board. Nancy Pelosi Purchased between $50,000-$100,000 in CLNE stock on May 25, 2007 apparently on it’s initial public offering.

It is hard to tell if the water scheme is the device being used to seize the land or if the wind turbine scheme is the means by which he will fund the water scheme, but no matter what the case may be, Nancy Pelosi will personally profit from whatever he does as an investor.

Nancy Pelosi is one of the richest members of Congress with a net worth of over US$25 million, which comes primarily from investments a large portfolio of jointly owned San Francisco Bay Area real estate, and, now, of course, stocks in CLNE.

While the stock was initially offered at $14 and is now valued below that amount, the low of $10 in early July of this year is bouncing back, especially in light of ads by Pickens and growing consensus that the Pickens plan will gain support, especially if Pelosi is firmly behind it.

William R. Collier Jr. Upadaria@yahoo.com The American Communicator

Cap and trade is really Cap and make myself rich.  Should be criminal.

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2009, 10:44:24 AM »
Pickins big plan is very simple: Make more money for Pickins.

1. Rally up public support for the "Pickens Plan"
2. Gov't buys up all the gas, windmills, etc. that Pickens owns
3. ???????
4. PROFIT! (for Pickens)

He didn't get rich by playing straight....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.