Author Topic: what is this hardware?  (Read 4667 times)

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
what is this hardware?
« on: November 30, 2010, 02:11:07 PM »
a buddy just sent me this from his iphone

Its parked outside the Mayflower Hotel in DC

it looks like something thats going to deployed over there

"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: what is this hardware?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 02:19:03 PM »
I dunno.

Ask him to go lift the tarp and take a better pic of the equipment in the bed. [popcorn]
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 02:31:06 PM »
right hand square box looks like a video camera
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 02:40:15 PM »
right hand square box looks like a video camera
Maybe IR on the left round one?

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2010, 02:42:01 PM »
One looks like it's visible or near-IR the other with the thicker/rounder jacket (insulation?) might be thermal/FLIR.

On top of that looks like a microwave relay for data or video streams. Or if you're really feeling  [tinfoil] a mini ADS Active Denial System, the microwave skin burn pain-ray. But I think it's likelier it's the former and not the latter. The cameras would seem to block it's field of fire at close angles.

I also find it interesting that there's an auxiliary RV-type Air Conditioner on the top of the pickup's crew-cab. That makes me think there's lots of electronics in it that generate significant heat, and that they don't like to roll down the windows for security reasons.

I wonder if it's to observe for security if some dignitary or foreign leader is staying there. Or to monitor potential protests if it's someone unpopular.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 03:06:16 PM by AJ Dual »
I promise not to duck.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2010, 02:52:19 PM »
http://www.imaging1.com/thermal/1000x.html
When you need the ultimate long range thermal infrared imaging camera, the Fusion 1000X will perform the task.
Offering super sensitive image resolution and unsurpassed vehicle and human detection in excess of 20 kilometers, The 1000X is a military sealed unit which cant  be beat!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2010, 02:58:27 PM »
Naked scanners for the hiways and byways...?  =(
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2010, 03:13:45 PM »

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2010, 03:14:33 PM »
prolly a trade show demo unit

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2010, 06:08:45 PM »
I wonder what it is they want passersby to notice?  Because camo netting in an urban business district is a huge attention getter.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2010, 06:31:45 PM »
the mayflower gets some vip guests probably part of a security package. i've been outa that hotel 18 years most of my contacts are gone
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2010, 06:41:15 PM »

Johnny-5 is alive!
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2010, 07:24:28 PM »
Sometimes, I really wonder if there's anyone with more then two brain cells to rub together in the .gov.   
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2010, 06:08:21 AM »
the new 3d version of googlle streetview? [tinfoil]

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2010, 06:11:26 AM »
Looks like the packages they put on recon vehicles. Put the sensors up higher, further horizon distance. Not sure of the benefits in a city.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2010, 11:53:20 AM »
the new 3d version of googlle streetview? [tinfoil]
I was thinking something like that.
But if they just painted it white and ditched the camo netting no one would even give it a second look. Sheep would just think its a news van of some type.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2010, 04:52:16 PM »
there is nowhere for the signal to go to from desales alley in NW DC

it dead ends at a big building on the direction the cameras are pointing

Maybe it was a FLIR feed of the pedestrian traffic walking in front of Victoria's Secret on Connecticut Avenue
for a demo inside the Mayflower. In the event of an actual Operation in DC, i kinda doubt they would use such an obvious Party Van

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2010, 04:56:29 PM »
ABC news is right there on Desales, but that doesn't look like a TV rig

here is where the truck is parked on google street view

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2010, 05:01:42 PM »
I would bet it was some kind of demo vehicle.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2010, 05:41:41 PM »
the mayflower already has a decent camera system  tilt and pan as well as zoom. we used to girl watch with it
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2010, 12:06:51 PM »
The camo looks like it was put over the thing after the truck was parked.

Which means anyone could see it while on the road... or street, until they covered it.

Which means it isn't all that big a secret.

Which means it was a dust/pigeon-doo cover?

Opening for the "conning tower" was to test it our before they brought it in the building?

Truck is yellow, which is not very typical for dot-gov vehicles or something you want to avoid attention with.  Looks more like a private or company vehicle.

Did you notice the plates?

What kind of trade shows or meetings were going on in the hotel?

Did they take it off the truck, or did the truck drive away with it later?

If it's a weapon, somebody may be in deep doo-doo for "printing" in the city.  :police:  :laugh:

"there is nowhere for the signal to go to from desales alley in NW DC"

When news cameras used to be around our building in downtown Denver, they used to bounce their signals off buildings to get their u-wave signals to their TV stations and up to satellites if there was not a direct line-of sight available.  I asked about that once because one of their news trucks had their paraboloids pointed right at our building, and others had their 'toonies pointed in what looked like random directions:

For your interest and amusement, here is what our street looked like during the McVeigh trial.  Lousy chemical picture-of-opportunity taken with a lousy camera by a lousy photographer, but if you look carefully down the street, you can see a yellow Hyster.  One news company had two comm trucks parked across the street from each other, and to get their cables from one truck to the other, they rented two Hysters and put the cables way up and across the street between the two Hysters.

I apologize for the quality, and had to doctor the image slightly to make it more clear.

They even had hot dog vendors parked along the sidewalk to service the news crews.

Off-topic a little, but I thought you folks might be interested.

Terry, 230RN

« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 01:01:46 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.