Author Topic: what is this thing?  (Read 4168 times)

griz

• friend
what is this thing?
« on: May 20, 2011, 01:19:06 PM »
I pass this on the way to work.  Because of its location I am assuming it is some kind of security device but have never seen anything like it.  Anybody know?

Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: what is this thing?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2011, 01:31:34 PM »
Alien spacecraft that just landed...?
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2011, 01:33:16 PM »
Looks like the LIDAR/Laser speed detectors some of the more well-heeled PD departments have on top of their squad car's light bar. Except here it's on a stand and a battery pack or something.

Either that, or an automatic license plate recognition system. Looks for suspended plates, plates tied to warrants etc.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 01:37:45 PM by AJ Dual »
I promise not to duck.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2011, 01:55:30 PM »
There's what appears to be a sign underneath it.  Lift it up and see if it tells you what the thing is?  If that proves unhelpful you might, while standing there, look to see if it has any nomenclature or warning stuff on the case.  Just trying to be helpfull, Boss.

My guess would be some sort of surveying instrument, unless the lens(es) are pointed at either the road or some obvious target.  If that is the case I amend my guess to some sort of survelience device.

Most curiously there does not appear to be anything securing it in position other than nominal Earf gravitational forces.  If closer examination proves that to be the case then perhaps you and some associates could remove it to a more convenient location for perusal overnight and then return it in the morning festooned appropriately?  (Srsly, don't do that.  It's agin the law and you might strain yourself lifting it onto a pickup truck bed.)

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2011, 01:57:52 PM »
I bet if you put some duct tape over the lens you'll find out what it is... when a cop shows up at your door. :)

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2011, 02:11:15 PM »
. . .  Because of its location . . .
And the location is . . . ?

Anyway, that thing on top sort of looks like a target for a paintball gun . . .  >:D
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

griz

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2011, 02:19:29 PM »
It's in the median after the entrance gate to a military base, so it "looks" directly down the road.  Maybe it is a speed thing since the posted speed is 25 and people tend to stretch that.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2011, 02:34:15 PM »
Maybe it is a speed thing since the posted speed is 25 and people tend to stretch that.

I love those radar guns on trailers that SHeriff's department place on streets to get people to slow down. Their biggest unintended consequence is encouraging kids to play in the street- either trying determine how fast they can get on their bike or determining the speed of their fast ball. We had one in front of our house for about a month- until the 12 year old kid next door  broke it with a slapshot. :laugh:
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2011, 03:01:14 PM »
That doesn't look radarey.  Looks camera-ey.  May have a laser to sense distance for triggering.

Tell you the truth, I'm getting a little paranoid/wary about being bombarded everywhere from radar.  I started to get picked up by one of those roadside radar displays from about 1/4 mile away and had to wonder about that.

Then there's those microwave door openers in stores and stuff. 

"They" say it's "safe," but what's the upper limit for "safe?"  I know that microwaves will cause polymerization of things like egg whites and the vitreous humor of the eyeball, and any polymerization thereof is irreversible and cumulative.

And what's the lower limit for a frequncy being "safe?" Is there a sharp cutoff point for "safe" versus "unsafe?"

And did I read about birds flying through high-powered radar beams getting zapped?

Poo-poo my concerns if you will.

[tinfoil]

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 03:09:29 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2011, 03:12:22 PM »
"They" say it's "safe," but what's the upper limit for "safe?"  I know that microwaves will cause polymerization of things like egg whites and the vitreoua humor of the eyeball, and any polymerization thereof is irreversible and cumulative.

I don't know the exact science of all of it offhand, but the energy of the radar waves is going to decrease dramatically through distance.
Not sure if microwave ovens use a different frequency than radar, but I know that Microwave ovens are specially tuned to cause vibration in water molecules, which is probably a different wavelength than normally used in radar.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2011, 03:16:01 PM »
Poo-poo my concerns if you will.

These are not the paranoids you're looking for.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2011, 03:23:06 PM »
Not sure if microwave ovens use a different frequency than radar, but I know that Microwave ovens are specially tuned to cause vibration in water molecules, which is probably a different wavelength than normally used in radar.

Microwave ovens operate right around 2.45Ghz.  RADAR is all over the map.  There's a table here:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radar#Frequency_bands

From that chart I gather speed RADAR guns used by police are running 18-24Ghz.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2011, 03:40:38 PM »
Looks like the LIDAR/Laser speed detectors some of the more well-heeled PD departments have on top of their squad car's light bar. Except here it's on a stand and a battery pack or something.

Either that, or an automatic license plate recognition system. Looks for suspended plates, plates tied to warrants etc.

Pretty sure it's the latter.  While the algorithms to extract plate info from video are available, the rapid aim/slew for Ladar (and I don't see a microwave emitter) to autonomously do a speed check aren't available (as far as I know) in that type of device.  When mounted on a police cruiser, those little turrets are just for the plate scanners, the radar emitters are usually elsewhere.   So I'm going with plate scanner.  If it was for speed checking/ticketing, it would be a photo-radar install (which looks totally different).  I'm guessing they use it to monitor security (correlate with approved vehicle/visitor lists).

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2011, 05:44:14 PM »
Looks like a public pillowcase holder to me.....  ;)
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2011, 11:10:48 PM »
Microwave ovens operate right around 2.45Ghz.  RADAR is all over the map.  There's a table here:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radar#Frequency_bands

From that chart I gather speed RADAR guns used by police are running 18-24Ghz.

Depends on the gun, police use X, K, and Ka band radars (and I think they may have also used Ku as well.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2011, 11:32:44 PM »
I don't know the exact science of all of it offhand, but the energy of the radar waves is going to decrease dramatically through distance.

Inverse square of the distance sort of thing.

What kind of power hits someone has a lot to do with the transmitted power. Not much to worry about from speed control RADAR at the distances we are going to be at and the metal of the car is an effective shield to the RF anyway as is the glass to a lesser amount.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2011, 11:35:07 PM »
Could it be a surveying device?
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2011, 11:40:23 PM »
anyway as is the glass to a lesser amount

I believe the passivated glass used in modern cars is going to provide a bit more protection from RF than normal glass.

Which is one of the reasons glass mount antennas tend not to work so hot these days...
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2011, 05:38:23 AM »
I believe the passivated glass used in modern cars is going to provide a bit more protection from RF than normal glass.

Which is one of the reasons glass mount antennas tend not to work so hot these days...

^ Good info. But bicyclists, pedestrians?

And the inverse square law only holds in its "standard" sense for uniformly divergent radiation.  As the divergence of a beam narrows, however, the reduction in energy per unit distance is less and less until the beam does not diverge at all --as in a tightly-focused laser beam.  The only attenuation is from other stuff like dust in the air.

Sure, take a naked light bulb and its illumination varies with the square of the distance nicely.  But put a focusing reflector (or lens) on it and the illuminated area is no longer spherical, but in a narrow beam.  The inverse square law still holds, but the distances are greater.  Taking it to the extreme, a perfectly parallel beam will have the same illumination however far away it is measured, except for absorption by and reflection off of "stuff" between the bulb and the point of measurement.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 05:44:12 AM by 230RN »

birdman

• friend
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2011, 08:41:45 AM »
^ Good info. But bicyclists, pedestrians?

And the inverse square law only holds in its "standard" sense for uniformly divergent radiation.  As the divergence of a beam narrows, however, the reduction in energy per unit distance is less and less until the beam does not diverge at all --as in a tightly-focused laser beam.  The only attenuation is from other stuff like dust in the air.

Sure, take a naked light bulb and its illumination varies with the square of the distance nicely.  But put a focusing reflector (or lens) on it and the illuminated area is no longer spherical, but in a narrow beam.  The inverse square law still holds, but the distances are greater.  Taking it to the extreme, a perfectly parallel beam will have the same illumination however far away it is measured, except for absorption by and reflection off of "stuff" between the bulb and the point of measurement.

No such thing as perfectly parallel, thanks to that bastard Huygens.  The inverse square law (flux is inversely proportional to distance squared) holds for ALL EM, when in free space propagation, past the Gaussian beam waist (or focus if it's a non parallel wavefront at first).  The best you can do for divergence is lambda/D (for the 1/e point of a perfect Gaussian beam)-- meaning, for X-band radar, (3cm lambda) and a 6cm emitter, the beam is almost 30deg wide!  And if you measure the intensity, it follows an inverse square law.  Now take a huge x-band radar...(AN/TPY-2, SBX). Narrower beam, but still follows inverse square. 

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2011, 08:46:53 AM »
Could it be a surveying device?

That is what I thought also, or a laser vehicle counter.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2011, 11:14:38 AM »
For the paranoid, that gadget is clearly a long range rifle target, nu?

Or, for the truly paranoid and well equipped, ground zero!  =D
Gee, I'd love to see your data!

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2011, 11:43:40 AM »
Could be any number of things. Google searches for all the ideas posted here didn't turn up anything looking exactly like that. 

One thing that does come up and looks similar, though, is a flir unit.

For a private boat:

Here's a military one:

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2011, 01:11:50 PM »
No such thing as perfectly parallel, thanks to that bastard Huygens.

I know.  My "perfectly parallel beam" was for illustrative purposes, which is why I used the phrase "Taking it to the extreme..."  And for ordinary distances and ordinary focusing techniques the dot from my <5 mW laser pointer can be seen for hundreds of yards on a dark night.

Parallel enough, wot?  Even though it gets to be more of a "patch" out there than a dot.

If it were not focused, its illumination "out there" would be virtually nil.

-------
Caveat.  If anyone's going to play around with the laser sights on their guns in this matter, please make sure the damned thing is empty.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 01:24:48 PM by 230RN »

birdman

• friend
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2011, 03:53:46 PM »
I know.  My "perfectly parallel beam" was for illustrative purposes, which is why I used the phrase "Taking it to the extreme..."  And for ordinary distances and ordinary focusing techniques the dot from my <5 mW laser pointer can be seen for hundreds of yards on a dark night.

Parallel enough, wot?  Even though it gets to be more of a "patch" out there than a dot.

If it were not focused, its illumination "out there" would be virtually nil.

-------
Caveat.  If anyone's going to play around with the laser sights on their guns in this matter, please make sure the damned thing is empty.

A laser pointer is actually collimated (focus at infinity), with the beam waist at the output aperture, if it were focused, it would spread more than a collimated beam.

Anyway, it's splitting hairs