Author Topic: What is there besides Ipod Touch?  (Read 585 times)

White Horseradish

• friend
What is there besides Ipod Touch?
« on: August 07, 2011, 12:20:42 PM »
My mom decided to develop an interest in more modern technology than her CD player. She saw my iPhone and decided it was kinda cool, but she wants it separate form the phone function because she kills her phones fairly often in a variety of creative ways.  She probably will not shop for music much, so iTunes would be just a hindrance to her.

What else is there that is a decent touchscreen media player with WiFi capability?
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

mtnbkr

• friend
Re: What is there besides Ipod Touch?
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2011, 12:42:13 PM »
I haven't used any of the new Android based devices (they weren't on the market yet), but I LOVE my iTouch.  It has its weaknesses, such as no flash on web content, can't multitask, and the form factor, but I feel like Apple put out a device that works within those limitations.  I use it primarily as a handheld computer that plays music and videos.  I've all but given up on our Netbook. 

Currently, I use my iPhone for email (private and corporate), light web browsing, Facebook, banking, Netflix, remote DVR management, MP3 listening (music and podcasts), movies (I rip my fav DVDs and convert them to mp4), ebook (PDF, Kindle, and Nook), and various other misc uses (Woot.com app, craigslist app, games, etc).  There are more uses, but that's how I use mine.

It isn't a tablet, but it does most of what I'd use a tablet for.  I may get a Nook Color to give me better edocument capabilities and some of the tablet functions.

Chris