Author Topic: What is this magazine?  (Read 899 times)

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
What is this magazine?
« on: July 15, 2014, 01:48:33 PM »
Buddy found it on a construction site loaded with 5.45 ammo.

The AK mags all seem to have a bump on the front and a hook on the back. Also, the follower sticks up in back on this one, the feed lips don't go all the way back.

"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Pb

• friend
Re: What is this magazine?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2014, 02:12:02 PM »
mini 14?????

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2014, 02:18:03 PM »
mini 14?????

That would be a bit ironic. Picking a Mini up probably today.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2014, 02:18:23 PM »
wierd - I have no idea.  There aren't that many rifle types using 5.45 ammo.  Maybe some crazy attempt to convert a mini-14 mag to an AR 5.45 magazine (probably failed and abandoned)?

Did some google image search and that is a mini-14 magazine (unless it is a mini-30 magazine?).

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2014, 02:20:56 PM »
I have what I'm pretty sure is one of these as well.  Friend gave it to me, he thought it was an AR mag maybe?  It isn't.

I still have no clue what it goes to.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2014, 02:21:50 PM »
Just did a GIS myself. I saw the ammo and assumed AK-variant. I'll have to compare it to the Mini mags coming in (today probably) and see if it is 5.56 dims.

Thanks BTR.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2014, 02:29:44 PM »
That is a definatly Mini-14 mag.

Also, the mags are in the other box.  Sorry.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2014, 02:49:42 PM »
everybody said it.  Mini-14.  I'm guessing a crap magazine, turd* out in a hurry to be grandfathered in, in the last few days before the national 10 round limit went into effect.

*an appropriate misspelling that I'll let stand.  I had a few of these.  Far better at the time to pick up some Promag 10 rounders.  They at least worked.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 09:34:17 PM by lee n. field »
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2014, 03:52:45 PM »
Where was this "construction site loaded with 5.45 ammo"?  Can I stop by with my truck?  I would be happy to dispose of it for them.  I still have the Slide Fire stock on my 5.45 AR.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2014, 09:17:53 PM »
That is a definatly Mini-14 mag.

Also, the mags are in the other box.  Sorry.

No worries, apparently I have one. ;)

Just picked up the rifle a half-hour ago. Looks great.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2014, 09:18:51 PM »
Where was this "construction site loaded with 5.45 ammo"?  Can I stop by with my truck?  I would be happy to dispose of it for them.  I still have the Slide Fire stock on my 5.45 AR.

Another example of why the comma is the most important punctuation. ;)

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2014, 05:37:58 AM »
Possible some idiot didn't get the difference between 5.45 and 5.56. I know supposed gun people who have never heard of 5.45. I've asked to see 5.45 AKs in gun stores and been told like I was a mildly retarded child that AKs are made in 7.62x39.  :facepalm: :facepalm:  Maybe that's why the mag was there, ammo no worky as planned so someone tossed the mag in disgust.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.