Author Topic: What is the deal with Craig's list scammers?  (Read 1610 times)

Kingcreek

• friend
What is the deal with Craig's list scammers?
« on: January 26, 2018, 05:24:19 PM »
Never bought or sold on CL until now but I have "things" to move from moms house because we started showing it for sale and need to wind down her estate.
So I lost a nice powered hospital bed and power recliner/lift chair for reasonable price local pickup only.
So these yahoos from 3 states away want to send me checks and say they will arrange to have somebody pick up. WTF? I assume the checks or MOs will be fake or something and they will want me to "refund" or what?
I don't get it. Can somebody 'splain it to me?
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: What is the deal with Craig's list scammers?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2018, 05:26:01 PM »
Never bought or sold on CL until now but I have "things" to move from moms house because we started showing it for sale and need to wind down her estate.
So I lost a nice powered hospital bed and power recliner/lift chair for reasonable price local pickup only.
So these yahoos from 3 states away want to send me checks and say they will arrange to have somebody pick up. WTF? I assume the checks or MOs will be fake or something and they will want me to "refund" or what?
I don't get it. Can somebody 'splain it to me?

They'll either suddenly get buyers remorse immediately after you cash the check, or they'll send it for more than the amount and tell you it's some kind of error and for you to just send them the difference. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2018, 05:34:03 PM »
In short, if it smells fishy on Craigslist it probably is. Several states away, funny payment terms, sounds off, etc etc just run like hell in the other direction

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2018, 05:44:53 PM »
I listed them for cash at time of local pickup only. Why in heck would somebody from Mississippi send me a cashiers check for a used power recliner unless it's a scam?
I know people sometimes cash or deposit the fake checks and get stung by thier bank a few days later, but I don't see how it's even worth it for the scammers.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2018, 05:48:41 PM »
I listed them for cash at time of local pickup only. Why in heck would somebody from Mississippi send me a cashiers check for a used power recliner unless it's a scam?
I know people sometimes cash or deposit the fake checks and get stung by thier bank a few days later, but I don't see how it's even worth it for the scammers.

They're looking for the overage to be sent back to them, or they ask for a refund literally the second you deposit the bad check.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re: Re: What is the deal with Craig's list scammers?
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2018, 05:55:06 PM »
Throw at the wall and see what sticks.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2018, 05:57:45 PM »
Yep, if they're trying to change your terms.   Ignore them.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 08:35:39 PM by Amy Schumer »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2018, 06:21:10 PM »
I started requesting they make a specific statement in their comms. In my case it was to name the Texas Tech mascot when they emailed or texted. Seems to work pretty well for weeding out the scams.

I've also see people start to put their contact info in a photo rather than in the product description.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2018, 08:06:42 PM »
Russia Russia Russia
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2018, 08:44:43 PM »
Yea, most of this is actually automated scripts running.  These aren't real people sending you these emails (mostly), it's computers.  Once they get a live one, someone will start negotiating a deal that involves getting money out of you somehow.

Brad's method works well, for the most part.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2018, 09:03:27 PM »
The few times I have put anything up on Craigslist I have added a statement saying checks and money orders will be held for a minimum of 15 days or until they clear the bank and our found to be valid.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2018, 09:50:07 PM »
So, scam? Or no scam?
"Hi, are you Still have the BEAUTY AND HEALTH available forsale?reply me at email {larrykiss120@gmail.com}. Thanks GOD BLESS "
Jeez, I just want to find a new home for about $3k worth of hospital bed and lift chair for about $700. I'm about gonna give up on the games and just donate it or something.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2018, 09:56:47 PM »
So, scam? Or no scam?
"Hi, are you Still have the BEAUTY AND HEALTH available forsale?reply me at email {larrykiss120@gmail.com}. Thanks GOD BLESS "
Jeez, I just want to find a new home for about $3k worth of hospital bed and lift chair for about $700. I'm about gonna give up on the games and just donate it or something.

Before you donate try an alternative: https://wellkeptwallet.com/top-20-craigslist-alternatives/  I have heard people talking about Offerup.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2018, 10:20:13 PM »
I use OfferUp. Way better than Craigslist and the buyers are local, with far less scammers.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!