Author Topic: McCain and Graham backpedaling from Amnesty  (Read 1688 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
McCain and Graham backpedaling from Amnesty
« on: April 27, 2010, 02:42:54 PM »
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2010/apr/27/gops-graham-no-immigration-bill-until-2012/

Sen. Lindsey Graham, the sole Republican working on a bill to legalize illegal immigrants, in effect put the bill on the shelf on Tuesday, saying that a debate now would destroy any prospects for passage and that the issue needs to wait until 2012.

The remarks likely signal the end of any serious chance for broad immigration legislation to pass this year, since Mr. Graham, South Carolina Republican, was the best hope for a partnership with President Obama and Democrats who want to write a bill.

"It is impossible for me and any other serious Democrat to get this body to move forward until we prove to the American people we can secure our borders," Mr. Graham told Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano, who was testifying at a Senate Judiciary Committee hearing.

"I believe we can do it by 2012 if we're smart," he said.

Ms. Napolitano, a former governor of Arizona, disagreed with Mr. Graham's evaluation of border security. She said she knows the southwest border as well as anyone and, by every measure Congress has laid out, the border is more secure: Fewer illegal immigrants are being apprehended, and more fencing and infrastructure have been deployed.

But under close questioning by Mr. Graham, Ms. Napolitano could not say whether she would declare the border secure if she were still the governor of Arizona. She called it an "unfair question."

"It is a fair question, and I'll give you my answer: I don't think it is," Mr. Graham said. "I think since the last effort to solve immigration the border situation has deteriorated."

Mr. Graham has been working with Sen. Charles E. Schumer, New York Democrat, to write a bill, but he said any effort to bring it up now would so anger Americans that it would kill any chance of getting the issue passed this year and in the near future.

"If immigration comes up this year, it's absolutely devastating to the future of this issue," he said.

So, there's the above where Graham says we need to hold off until "the borders are secure."

Then, McCain is running radio ads like mad here, touting how he knows the border.  How he knows about the crime.  How he knows about the social infrastructure costs.

McCain is in for a no holds barred fight against Hayworth, being put on trial for Shamnesty, the "gang of 12", crossing the aisle to work with Washington insiders, and being a progressive rather than a conservative.

This legislation, were it to go forward, would require McCain's help in his non-election mentality.  McCain won't be present to vote "aye" on it if he backs it, though.  We'll gank him from office for sure, if he did that.  So the issue is getting shelved.

It's sad that we have to hope for the status quo rather than real enforcement from the government.  Hopefully after a few dozen Tea Partiers get into the House and Senate, we can return to being a country based on reason rather than emotion.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: McCain and Graham backpedaling from Amnesty
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 02:51:39 PM »
It is impossible for me and any other serious Democrat...

At least Graham is getting honest about his party affiliations now.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 04:27:05 PM »
At least Graham is getting honest about his party affiliations now.
Sure looks like a Freudian slip to me.

That RINO's gotta go.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 05:32:07 PM »
Is the gang of 12 different from the gang of 14? 

The Gang of 14, while dropping a few conservative judge candidates, actually got a lot of Bush's judge appointments pushed through, from what I heard at least. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 05:44:06 PM »
Is the gang of 12 different from the gang of 14? 

The Gang of 14, while dropping a few conservative judge candidates, actually got a lot of Bush's judge appointments pushed through, from what I heard at least. 

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/05/19/AR2005051900953.html
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2010, 05:51:37 PM »
"Border security" is a bogeyman, even if it really happens, which I doubt.  Worrying about your borders when you already have 20 million illegals here, plus their children, U.S.-born or not, and "family reunification" holds out the promise of bringing another 50 million aliens here is MADNESS.  There are no options here that do not entail getting tough and making lots of people unhappy.  It is the same issue that we face with cutting our deficits: you can't avoid either the reality of the situation or the pain in dealing with it.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2010, 06:10:25 PM »
Does anybody think there's even a snowballs chance in hades of changing the law so full citizenship is not automatic for being born here (ala anchor babies) but instead would only be passed if at least one parent was a citizen?

Editted for typos.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 09:59:38 PM by kgbsquirrel »

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2010, 09:58:04 PM »
Someone needs to take that one to SCOTUS.  Many people believe what we have now is a complete misinterpretation of the 14th Amendment.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2010, 11:27:17 PM »
There are no options here that do not entail getting tough and making lots of people unhappy.  It is the same issue that we face with cutting our deficits: you can't avoid either the reality of the situation or the pain in dealing with it.

Lots of people are unhappy over the situation now, and have been for years.  So far they have been of the kind to hold smaller demonstrations, avoid confontation and grouse about the problem with their friends and online.

I hope that is changing with this talk of ANOTHER Anmesty and the economic dulldrums we as a nation are in.

It like having an abcesses tooth or three.  We can deal with a measure of pain now and be done with it, or continue to ignore the problem until the pain becomes unbearable and the outcome possibly lethal.

McCain running from Amnesty?  ???  If anybody thinks such is really heartfelt, I've a bridge you may be interested in buying.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2010, 10:27:58 AM »
baby is a us citizen, and they can take him/her home with them, or leave him/her in an orphanage, or put him/her up for adoption? ??? i don't think it will go any further than that. and don't know if it should. =| frankly i'm glad it's not up to me, might have to threaten to keep half in the states, and send the other half home. :angel: