Author Topic: ASUS EeePC: Won't charge battery  (Read 6260 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
ASUS EeePC: Won't charge battery
« on: April 20, 2010, 12:48:23 PM »
My EeePC 1000HA has been my "workhorse" computer for the last year, working from home.  I chain a 24" widescreen monitor off of its VGA port when stationary at my desk at home, and only fire up the desktop computer when I need to run things like VM's or Visual Studio or other high horsepower programs.  Saves on my energy bill quite a bit.

However, the charge circuit seems to be broken.  It runs on AC power just fine, so the AC adapter is okay.  It runs off battery fine.  I used it at the hotel for a couple hours while Appleseeding off battery and the battery was 100% charged to begin with.  I worked all day yesterday off of AC and last night I unplugged it and brought it to the living room, it reported 59% capacity.  I used it for an hour or so, then plugged it back in, in the office.  This morning it is at 38% capacity.

So, the battery capacity is fine... it's just not getting charged.

I would assume that this would involve the motherboard, probably... I have no warranty with this computer.

Toss?  Use as-is, perhaps as a shop computer?  Attempt to find a part and repair it?  Ideas?

I bought it second-hand, lightly used, for $250.  I'm suspicious that it would probably cost me $200 or more just to get the motherboard, if sold at all.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: ASUS EeePC: Won't charge battery
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 01:24:14 PM »
I unplugged the battery from the chassis and let it cool for about 15 minutes, then plugged it back in.

Gave it 5 min and then looked at the power control panel applet.  Now it says 41% capacity.  Just went to 42% as I am typing this.

Perhaps my battery IS going bad, or it's getting too hot.  Ordered replacement from an Amazon vendor for $40, and they are including a "laptop cooling pad" for free.  This unit isn't exactly intended to serve as an all-day, every-day computer.

I figure $40 is worth a two-directional attempted solution:  cooling and a new battery.  If not, I'll get a new laptop.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 01:25:50 PM »
I'm glad we could help.   =D

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 01:30:45 PM »
I'm glad we could help.   =D

You people need to work on your lurk/troll/post routines.  You're all slipping, getting slow.

=D
--Lysander Spooner

abbak

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013, 09:44:30 AM »
I unplugged the battery from the chassis and let it cool for about 15 minutes, then plugged it back in.

Gave it 5 min and then looked at the power control panel applet.  Now it says 41% capacity.  Just went to 42% as I am typing this.

Perhaps my battery IS going bad, or it's getting too hot.  Ordered replacement from an Amazon vendor for $40, and they are including a "laptop cooling pad" for free.  This unit isn't exactly intended to serve as an all-day, every-day computer.

I figure $40 is worth a two-directional attempted solution:  cooling and a new battery.  If not, I'll get a new laptop.

My simple and best idea to you.Just replace with new one.your problem over. >:D

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2013, 11:51:23 AM »
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2013, 11:55:39 AM »
Have you tried turning it off and on again?

(So long as we're resurrecting the dead, I though ought to include the random sounds zombies make.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2013, 01:25:08 PM »
Well, aside from the zombie nature of this thread, it actually is topical.

My little eeePC died last month.  I just removed the HDD and stored it and the ram away, then threw the rest of it away.

Failed to boot even to BIOS.  Screen backlight would come on, but no signal from the mobo.  Tried on battery and on wall power.  Tried with different power adapter rated the same.  Tried outputting to external monitor. 

She's dead, Jim.

2009 to 2013 isn't too bad for an Atom processor netbook with a 65w power supply used as a workhorse computer for 2-3 years and a travel computer for another year or two.  Probably went bad after a ride in the bike's saddlebags.
--Lysander Spooner

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2013, 01:34:28 PM »
As long as you think you got your money's worth, you're doing good.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2013, 03:00:50 PM »
-----delete-----
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2013, 03:03:49 PM »
Use as is, buy another.  Netbooks are cheap (even if they have gone up a bit).

My one son picked up a refurb EeePC, rather inexpensively.  (And when it arrived, it was pink.  Oops.)

Run the motherboard part number on ebay, see what you find.  I'm seeing "eeepc motherboard" run from ~$60 to $80.

LEF, did you see the date of the OP?
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2013, 03:05:30 PM »
Well, aside from the zombie nature of this thread, it actually is topical.

My little eeePC died last month.  I just removed the HDD and stored it and the ram away, then threw the rest of it away.

Failed to boot even to BIOS.  Screen backlight would come on, but no signal from the mobo.  Tried on battery and on wall power.  Tried with different power adapter rated the same.  Tried outputting to external monitor. 

2009 to 2013 isn't too bad for an Atom processor netbook with a 65w power supply used as a workhorse computer for 2-3 years and a travel computer for another year or two.  Probably went bad after a ride in the bike's saddlebags.

My emachines netbook survived being dropped 4 times, with bits and pieces breaking off.  The first time the cat knocked it off the top of an upright piano.  It still works even now, but the display is iffy.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.