Author Topic: Rock Strike on Kickstand  (Read 1071 times)

tokugawa

• friend
Re: Rock Strike on Kickstand
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2023, 08:08:35 PM »
The problem is two fold- one, the bolt is broken, and two, there is no stub to grab to turn it.
Cliff has a good suggestion, if the alum does not work.

Everyone has probably heard this already, but here is a standard caution- do not use heat after using certain penetrating oils- just as with heating brake cleaner, they will form a very toxic gas.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2023, 08:26:43 PM »
You have a welder right?

Lay a 8 or 10mm bolt over the hole.  Crank up the heat on a the welder and start laying wire/filler (steel) into the hole on the easy out and bolt until you fill up the nut with a solid good bead.  The steel won't really stick to the aluminum.  Don't get it hot enough to melt the Al, keep the arc pointed at the steel and let the puddle build into the nut.

Let the whole thing cool completely. (repeated heating cooling will loosen the bolt)

Use a torch to get the aluminum reasonably hot but not cherry red.  Couple hundred degrees to get some expansion.

Hit nut with an impact to pull the whole shebang out.

Pray to deity of your choice that the easy out stays stuck in what's left of the bolt.

You will almost certainly have to run a tap down the threads in the aluminum.

Next time (as Boomhauer said) skip the easy out and weld a nut on first.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2023, 07:21:42 AM »
Jesus, would you just throw the damned thing into the fires of Mount Doom and be done with it, Frodo?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2023, 12:58:35 PM »
Used a 1/4" flat milling bit in the drill press to level off the easy-out stub, drilled the old bolt out with a 1/4" masonry carbide bit, using a 2-axis vise on the drill press.  Most of the threading was still intact in the bottom of the hole.  Ran an M6 die through it to clean it up, holds the bolt just fine. 
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2023, 01:50:21 PM »
Holy cow, this is quite the production it seems.

Short the switch so it thinks the kickstand is up and carry a length of 2x4 to prop the bike with. ;)

Follow me for more tips. :)

bob

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2023, 02:07:24 PM »
Used a 1/4" flat milling bit in the drill press to level off the easy-out stub, drilled the old bolt out with a 1/4" masonry carbide bit, using a 2-axis vise on the drill press.  Most of the threading was still intact in the bottom of the hole.  Ran an M6 die through it to clean it up, holds the bolt just fine. 

No detcord?  :'(

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2023, 04:51:33 PM »
...and the ad-hoc replacement springs I got at Ace are too weak to reliably keep the kickstand up.  Ugh.  Even with trimming them and forming new loops at the ends.  Two springs, one inside the other, both at tension at the mount points.

Looks like it's going to be several weeks until I ride this bike as I wait for new springs to come.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2023, 06:44:36 PM »
Looks like it's going to be several weeks until I ride this bike as I wait for new springs to come.

It doesn't have a center stand? If it does, zip-tie the side-stand up and RIDE!
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2023, 06:49:01 PM »
Try an industrial supply house- either local or online. McMaster Carr or MSC.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2023, 02:07:26 PM »
Try an industrial supply house- either local or online. McMaster Carr or MSC.

AF1 Racing is probably the largest western US distributor for Aprilia parts, and who I ordered the variety of replacement parts needed to bring my bike back to repaired status.  Some of the parts in my order had a 6-8 week lead time, and some were in stock.  Originally I had them hold everything until all of it was available and ship it in a single shipment, but I contacted them yesterday and had them send the only 2 parts they actually had in stock... which were the two compound springs where one fits within the other. 

The remaining pieces can wait, and the bike is at least usable without them.
--Lysander Spooner

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2023, 02:54:06 PM »
AF1 Racing is probably the largest western US distributor for Aprilia parts, and who I ordered the variety of replacement parts needed to bring my bike back to repaired status.  Some of the parts in my order had a 6-8 week lead time, and some were in stock.  Originally I had them hold everything until all of it was available and ship it in a single shipment, but I contacted them yesterday and had them send the only 2 parts they actually had in stock... which were the two compound springs where one fits within the other. 

The remaining pieces can wait, and the bike is at least usable without them.

Anyone on the Aprilia forums have a wrecked bike they'd be willing to cannibalize for parts?

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2023, 05:43:39 PM »
What else broke?

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2023, 06:05:38 PM »
What else broke?

All told:

1. The rock broke off the pin that the bottom of the springs anchor to on the kickstand arm. 1 part.
2. The springs themselves vanished off the bike, being freed from the lower anchor.  2 parts.
3. The springs have a "protective sleeve" they are encircled by.  Pssh.  Whatever.  But it's a missing part.  1 part.
4. The kickstand pivot bolt has two nuts.  One nut secures the kickstand arm, the second nut secures the kickstand sensor switch.  The second nut broke when disassembling everything, the bolt section was too small and the loctite too strong, or it was bent by the rock strike, or something.  So I now need a new kickstand pivot bolt, and the little secondary M6 nut. 2 parts.

All told, that's 6 parts.

Bike will work if I just get the two springs, but to return it to undamaged status it takes all 6.
--Lysander Spooner

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2023, 12:43:50 PM »
Most likely, the only thing that is proprietary is the kickstand itself.  Everything else is going to be off an industrial supply shelf.

Here is MSC's extension spring list- 5,000 of them, by length, extended length, diameter, rate, wire size and all searchable in the side bar.  https://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tn?navid=2104477&searchterm=Extension+Springs

It is a  good resource to have in the back of your mind when the factory parts are hard to find.

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2023, 06:19:59 PM »
In a bout of karmic fu from talking about busted bolts, I managed to break off a 10-24 tap in a blind hole today.
Fortunately the part was still on the mill and a couple of 1/8" carbide end mills were enough to cut out the tap.