Author Topic: AMD Ryzen Users Here?  (Read 1065 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
AMD Ryzen Users Here?
« on: September 12, 2023, 01:21:17 PM »
I built a new PC about 3.5 years ago, and I have always favored AMD processors for the cost/performance threshold.  I went with a Ryzen 7 3700X CPU on an MSI X570 motherboard chipset.

When shopping RAM, I chose to go a little lighter than I wanted at the time to save a few dollars on the build, figuring that since my motherboard had 4 slots and I was only populating 2 of them, I could augment the RAM at a later time.  So I only got 16GB to start with.

I bought RAM from G.Skill that is certified compatible with the CPU and motherboard I selected and installed it.  Years go by and a little while back I bought another 16GB, the identical part number as I initially selected to ensure compatibility.

When running 4 sticks of this RAM in my system I cannot even boot Windows.  When running either set on its own, the system is very reliable.

Anyone have insight into RAM tuning on the Ryzen X570 platform?  I've heard something about SOC voltage tuning, but I'm not fluent on modern overclock/tweaking techniques and concerns.  I'd like to get this RAM to work, rather than throwing it out and ordering another dead-end "kit" that only consumes 2 slots but prohibits me from populating the other 2 slots.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: AMD Ryzen Users Here?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2023, 01:55:48 PM »
You shouldn't have to mess with the ram settings at all unless something is amiss in the UEFI settings. Have you tried resetting the BIOS/UEFI to default?
Do you know your motherboard model? Have you tried swapping mem slots around?

BTW: Went with a Ryzen 5 5600G on a Gigabyte a AORUS MB with 24gb of ram a few months ago. Chose the 5600G because it has on board video compared to the 5600 while only losing a few percentage points in performance. My video card (GTX1060) is getting some age on it and I like having the onboard as backup or for a future stand alone unit.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2023, 03:15:56 PM »
I've seen this before, but never found a good solution. Have you tried a BIOS update? Does Linux recognize it?

The ram may have the same part number, but being made years apart they may be completely different. When I build a machine I generally use as much ram as the board will handle, and get it all at the same time and place.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2023, 05:08:23 PM »
The ram may have the same part number, but being made years apart they may be completely different.

This.

Also, is your RAM dual rank or single rank? I seem to remember something about certain MOBOs not liking dual rank if all four slots were populated. Something about interleaving and how it affects clocking.

Also also, is the CPU overclocked? If so, try resetting to default and see if that cures it.

Finally, how long has it been since you updated BIOS? A crap ton of weird funkiness can be cured that way.

Brad
« Last Edit: September 12, 2023, 05:24:00 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2023, 05:53:33 PM »
I've updated BIOS to latest release, which is dated July 4th 2023.

No overclocking.

I've tried with XMP enabled and disabled.  Doesn't matter if the RAM is running at its 2133mhz default speed, or the 3200mhz certified XMP overclocked speed.

Honestly, the only time I've had all 4 sticks run and boot was with XMP enabled.  It crashed after half an hour.  Sticks were hot to the touch afterwards, and I took 2 back out and disabled XMP.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2023, 06:06:58 PM »
This.

Also, is your RAM dual rank or single rank? I seem to remember something about certain MOBOs not liking dual rank if all four slots were populated. Something about interleaving and how it affects clocking.

Also also, is the CPU overclocked? If so, try resetting to default and see if that cures it.

Finally, how long has it been since you updated BIOS? A crap ton of weird funkiness can be cured that way.

Brad

The part number for both RAM kits in question is F4-3200C16D-16GFX.  I can't find documentation as to whether it is single or dual rank, but I have come across one user review that labels it dual rank.  My CPU is not overclocked and I have never overclocked it.  BIOS is updated to latest from manufacturer, dated July 4th 2023.

You shouldn't have to mess with the ram settings at all unless something is amiss in the UEFI settings. Have you tried resetting the BIOS/UEFI to default?
Do you know your motherboard model? Have you tried swapping mem slots around?

BTW: Went with a Ryzen 5 5600G on a Gigabyte a AORUS MB with 24gb of ram a few months ago. Chose the 5600G because it has on board video compared to the 5600 while only losing a few percentage points in performance. My video card (GTX1060) is getting some age on it and I like having the onboard as backup or for a future stand alone unit.

I've never tinkered with UEFI or any settings in the BIOS.  Never overclocked.  Don't think I've even gone so far as to change boot device order even when installing the OS.  The only exception to this was this last weekend, testing XMP to see if it solved my RAM woes.  Didn't.

I've seen this before, but never found a good solution. Have you tried a BIOS update? Does Linux recognize it?

The ram may have the same part number, but being made years apart they may be completely different. When I build a machine I generally use as much ram as the board will handle, and get it all at the same time and place.

I've never run Linux on it.  This computer lives for games, has no other use.  I have an employer provided laptop for work.

I'm torn... I've been reading that the Ryzen processors have hit or miss memory controllers up to the 3000 series.  Part of me wonders if I step up to a 5000 series processor if I'll be able to use all 4 sticks with no problem.  Another part of me says to keep the 3700X and ditch the RAM, get two new larger sticks and just make it work.  It's about $100-$150 to step up to 64GB RAM (2x32), or $200 to step up to a 5700X processor and hope the 4x8 config I have works then.
--Lysander Spooner

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2023, 06:14:19 PM »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2023, 06:20:24 PM »
I'm just ordering new RAM.  Going Corsair instead of G.Skill, going to 64GB in 2x32 format.
--Lysander Spooner