Author Topic: Something really odd about impeachment talk  (Read 1857 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Something really odd about impeachment talk
« on: January 02, 2020, 10:25:50 AM »
I seem to be almost alone in this, so maybe I didn’t get the memo. Almost no one seems to be discussing the outrage of presidential candidates voting to convict their opponent, and remove him from the race, because he tried to remove his opponent have a potential opponent’s son investigated for apparent misdeeds.

If that’s not clear enough, the Senate is expected to vote on whether or not to remove Donald Trump from office, and disqualify him from holding office again. The charges stem from the notion that President Trump, presumptive candidate for re-election, tried to hurt Joe Biden’s chances by having a third party investigate the Bidens’ malfeasance. But four of those potential jurors (Senators) are running for president themselves. Unlike Donald Trump, they wouldn’t just be hurting their opponent’s chances, they’d be voting to take him out of the running entirely, and permanently. So, even if President Trump is guilty of tampering with an election, four of his opponents (if they don’t recuse) would be doing the exact same thing, only more blatantly.

Yeah, I found a couple of articles on the subject, but they’re from Right Wing Hate MediaTM, so they don’t count, and no one’s paying attention to them. I had to go track them down.

https://thefederalist.com/2019/12/18/will-the-democrat-senators-running-for-president-recuse-themselves-from-impeachment/

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2019/10/02/thomas-massie-should-democrat-senators-running-for-president-recuse-from-impeaching-trump/

Yeah, I get that the silence on this just demonstrates it’s all kabuki, and everyone knows there’s no chance of conviction in the Senate. But that doesn’t explain why almost no conservatives/Trump supporters are flogging this issue. ???

I guess it's another illustration of the way left-wing media still set the agenda for what the right-of-center media are going to discuss.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Something really odd about impeachment talk
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2020, 11:26:48 AM »
It seems to me I have heard it mentioned.  I think give up pointing out left wing hypocrisy since that seems to be a daily norm on the left. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2020, 11:32:21 AM »
I agree with you. Any senator who is a candidate should recuse him/herself.

Where I disagree with you is in characterizing the possibility that Trump was trying to dig up information about Biden's son as tampering with the election. It's standard practice for politicians to look for information that may be damaging to their opponents. Doing so is not illegal unless they clearly break some law in the process (like Nixon's henchmen burglarizing the Democratic National Committee offices).

So what law did Trump break by asking the government of Ukraine to investigate Hunter Biden?

Even if there was a technical violation of some law (which, remember, has NOT been proven) -- is that "tampering" with the election? I suppose it's semantics but, to me, tampering would mean something like registering ineligible voters, losing ballots that voted for the opponent, creating fake ballots that voted for your side, reprogramming voting machines, ... You know -- things like "tampering," rather than just doing what all politicians do.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2020, 11:42:20 AM »
Even if there was a technical violation of some law (which, remember, has NOT been proven) -- is that "tampering" with the election? I suppose it's semantics but, to me, tampering would mean something like registering ineligible voters, losing ballots that voted for the opponent, creating fake ballots that voted for your side, reprogramming voting machines, ... You know -- things like "tampering," rather than just doing what all politicians do.

It's not hard to discern what "Tampering with an election" is.

Does it hurt Democrat chances of being elected? Tampering. (E.g. Wikileaks releasing authentic emails from the DNC so the public could see how bad they are. That's "tampering.")

Does it hurt Republican chances of being elected? Not tampering. (E.g. hiring a foreign national to dig up dirt from other foreign nationals in order to attack Donald Trump. Not "tampering.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2020, 11:48:01 AM »
I'm not saying that Trump was "tampering," or doing anything illegal. I'm saying that's what the allegation is.

It's not hard to discern what "Tampering with an election" is.

Does it hurt Democrat chances of being elected? Tampering. (E.g. Wikileaks releasing authentic emails from the DNC so the public could see how bad they are. That's "tampering.")

Does it hurt Republican chances of being elected? Not tampering. (E.g. hiring a foreign national to dig up dirt from other foreign nationals in order to attack Donald Trump. Not "tampering.)

Fact-check: true.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2020, 11:51:42 AM »
If you mean odd as in out of the ordinary it's not odd at all but rather business as usual IMHO but if you mean odd as in it shouldn't be this way then I agree

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2020, 12:03:08 PM »
They should recuse or vote present. Tactically, they should vote against. Do they want to run against Trump with his high unfavorables, or Pence and whatever really good VP he picks?
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2020, 12:08:57 PM »
If you mean odd as in out of the ordinary it's not odd at all but rather business as usual IMHO but if you mean odd as in it shouldn't be this way then I agree

What's odd is so little conservative/pro-Trump chatter about it. The Establishment Press is ignoring the issue, of course. But why are we?

I tried bringing this up on a conservative forum, but it didn't raise much interest there.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2020, 12:09:52 PM »
Years and years of conditioning.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2020, 12:17:56 PM »
Years and years of conditioning.

As I said in the OP, the only explanation I can figure is that the "mainstream" (extremist Left) press still decides what we talk about. Sure, we have the internet, and Rush Limbaugh and Fox News, but they mainly respond to what the Left-wing/Establishment Press is talking about.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2020, 12:35:10 PM »

As I said in the OP, the only explanation I can figure is that the "mainstream" (extremist Left) press still decides what we talk about. Sure, we have the internet, and Rush Limbaugh and Fox News, but they mainly respond to what the Left-wing/Establishment Press is talking about.

Thinking outside the official narrative = conspiracy theorist!!
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2020, 04:41:38 PM »
Another possible explanation for the lack of noise on this is that the Senate vote isn't imminent and so it's all theoretical at this point.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2020, 04:54:53 PM »
I agree with you. Any senator who is a candidate should recuse him/herself.

Where I disagree with you is in characterizing the possibility that Trump was trying to dig up information about Biden's son as tampering with the election. It's standard practice for politicians to look for information that may be damaging to their opponents. Doing so is not illegal unless they clearly break some law in the process (like Nixon's henchmen burglarizing the Democratic National Committee offices).

So what law did Trump break by asking the government of Ukraine to investigate Hunter Biden?

Minor nitpick, but didn't Trump ask about the company specifically?  And didn't mention any names. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2020, 05:27:08 PM »
Another possible explanation for the lack of noise on this is that the Senate vote isn't imminent and so it's all theoretical at this point.

I definitely think the "theoretical" (I would say academic) angle is part of it, but it's because we all know there's no chance of a conviction.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2020, 05:54:00 PM »
Given Joe Biden's braggadocio about threatening to withhold US aid from Ukraine unless the prosecutor investigating the company paying Biden's son was fired post-haste, there is compelling evidence that BIDEN engaged in a quid pro quo by using his position as VPOTUS for familial enrichment by pressuring a foreign power by manipulating US policy for personal/familial gain.

It seems to me that any POTUS who became aware of this apparent high level corruption would be OBLIGATED to seek the truth in this matter.

The only arguments I've heard otherwise boil down to "The laws regarding international corruption and abuse of power may not be applied to anyone running against Trump, and trying to apply them to such people is itself a criminal offense, even if the law doesn't say so."

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2020, 06:56:50 PM »
Given Joe Biden's braggadocio about threatening to withhold US aid from Ukraine unless the prosecutor investigating the company paying Biden's son was fired post-haste, there is compelling evidence that BIDEN engaged in a quid pro quo by using his position as VPOTUS for familial enrichment by pressuring a foreign power by manipulating US policy for personal/familial gain.

It seems to me that any POTUS who became aware of this apparent high level corruption would be OBLIGATED to seek the truth in this matter.

The only arguments I've heard otherwise boil down to "The laws regarding international corruption and abuse of power may not be applied to anyone running against Trump, and trying to apply them to such people is itself a criminal offense, even if the law doesn't say so."

I've maintained that from the outset. I agree completely.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2020, 09:46:31 PM »
Democrats can do no wrong whatsoever
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2020, 04:38:59 PM »
But they have to take an oath beforehand
“I solemnly swear (or affirm) that in all things appertaining to the trial of [in this case, Donald J. Trump] now pending,
I will do impartial justice according to the Constitution and laws, so help me God.

You don't think they would break their oaths do you?  :O
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2020, 11:18:17 PM »

You mean Senators Sanders, Warren, Harris, et al?   Nah, I'm sure they'll put their personal ambitions aside and do what's right for the Republic ...

:rofl:
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2020, 12:57:08 AM »

It's a living oath
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes