Author Topic: Idiot drivers out in full force this morning  (Read 925 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Idiot drivers out in full force this morning
« on: October 26, 2020, 10:12:04 AM »
Got our fist taste of winter this AM. Not really all that cold at 28 deg F but there's a mist of freezing rain. Overpasses are solid sheets of black ice. On-grade roads are fine due to latent heat so it lulls the idiots into a false sense of security. Result? Over 90% of overpasses in the city have experienced a wreck with most being multi-car. I even had some idiot tailgating me hard on one stretch of freeway. No need to, either. Three lanes with almost no traffic. A simple lane change would have given them clear sailing for at least a quarter mile.

I've been hit twice by idiot drivers. One jumped lanes to beat a turn light, the other blew through a red light because she had no business at all being in control of a motor vehicle but still insisted on driving. I have little patience for Stupid Driver Tricks and no sympathy when it bites them in the behind, especially when it affects someone else.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Re: Idiot drivers out in full force this morning
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2020, 06:53:52 PM »
That's what happens when you get all those campaign workers in from the tropical states.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2020, 07:03:28 PM »
A few years ago the roads to work were snow packed.  The lady in front of me was tailgating a school bus.  I watched with glee as the bus stopped for some RR tracks and the young lady slid into it, crumpling her car and not even scratching the bus' bumper.  There were no kids aboard the bus.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2020, 07:14:19 PM »
On my 35 mile trek to work the road I used bisected farm land with a wide and deep ditch on both sides of the road.  One snowy, slippery day I had a woman in a 4wd SUV riding my bumper.  Then she passed me.  Not the 1st time I'd seen her driving stupid in bad weather.  Typical "I have 4wd" moron, her.   Imagine the large grin on my face when I spotted her SUV's heinie sticking out of the deep ditch where she wound up by driving too fast in slippy conditions.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2020, 07:55:22 PM »
On my 35 mile trek to work the road I used bisected farm land with a wide and deep ditch on both sides of the road.  One snowy, slippery day I had a woman in a 4wd SUV riding my bumper.  Then she passed me.  Not the 1st time I'd seen her driving stupid in bad weather.  Typical "I have 4wd" moron, her.   Imagine the large grin on my face when I spotted her SUV's heinie sticking out of the deep ditch where she wound up by driving too fast in slippy conditions.

I haven't seen anything crazy yet in my time in Idaho. Luckily I'm in  position to just stay at home if the roads look yucky.

One thing I have noticed: In CA, there are guardrails pretty much anywhere it looks like you could drop off the road. Not so here. There are all kinds of places where if you screw up ad slip, you're going in the ditch or off the bridge. I have been told it's kind of a cultural thing. They don't go overboard on safety because they expect people to both use common sense and be responsible for their actions.

I have a bridge on my main entrance road over a creek. It's downhill to the bridge both coming and going. No guard rails. I have to say that I am a little paranoid about some day hitting ice on it and dropping eight feet into the creek. Anytime it looks like ice might be forming, I throw ice melt or ashes on it as a precaution.  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2020, 08:33:35 PM »
So glad I don't have to do the 75 mile each way to work anymore. The closer I got to Kansas City the worse the drivers got.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2020, 09:29:37 PM »
When I first went back to work the middle of April after the 1st shoulder the highways in Tulsa were nearly deserted, it was kind of eerie. That only lasted for a few weeks before all the "nonessential workers" started coming back to work.

Nonessential mother *expletive deleted*ers can't drive for *expletive deleted*it.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2020, 09:32:30 PM »
When I first went back to work the middle of April after the 1st shoulder the highways in Tulsa were nearly deserted, it was kind of eerie. That only lasted for a few weeks before all the "nonessential workers" started coming back to work.

Nonessential mother *expletive deleted*ers can't drive for *expletive deleted*it.

Now that the non essentials, and in particular parents taking their kids to school are back on the road I am constantly getting behind *expletive deleted*s who think 10 under the limit is the maximum speed they can safely go. If they exceed the “safe speed” by 1 mph they jam on the brakes to bring themselves 15 under the limit.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2020, 09:36:52 PM »
I have a bridge on my main entrance road over a creek. It's downhill to the bridge both coming and going. No guard rails. I have to say that I am a little paranoid about some day hitting ice on it and dropping eight feet into the creek. Anytime it looks like ice might be forming, I throw ice melt or ashes on it as a precaution.  :laugh:

There's something similar on the road to my place.  The road takes a sudden turn to the right just after it dips over the hill heading down to the bridge. It tends to catch the idiots who are using the road as a shortcut by surprise, though somewhat luckily for them instead of plunging into the river they just drop 4 feet or so into a dense patch of trees. I see a car stuck down there about once a year or so, regardless of road conditions.  :facepalm: :rofl:
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2020, 07:56:50 AM »
Neither can most of the essentials, but it's easier to get away with bad driving when there's no one else on the road.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2020, 09:38:03 AM »
You want an absolute *expletive deleted*it show?

Come to DC when it snows.

Or rains.

Or is sunny.

Or dark.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2020, 09:41:11 AM »

Back in April when COVID was ramping up and my job was ramping down I went to Castle Key's a couple of times, which involves about 50 miles of I-95 between Washington and Fredericksburg... normally an absolute shitshow most days, and on Friday's the embodiment of hell on earth.

Only... it wasn't. It was weird doing 70 mph (and being passed regularly) on that stretch on a Friday.

Things are ramping back up traffic wise in the DC area, but it's still down significantly. Not sure what 95 is like on Fridays now, but I suspect it's a lot worse.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2020, 09:47:55 AM »
Just out of curiosity:

Have any of you guys driven outside the US?  In the third world?  Just trying to get a handle on the perspective here.  I find US drivers to be inattentive and sometimes careless, but nowhere in the US even breaks my personal top 10 for idiot, scary and dangerous drivers.

Although, can confirm Mike's opinion that DC drivers are some of the worst in the States. My hypothesis is that people that frequently drive inside the beltway have enough smug it builds up in the car to a level that it actually impairs visibility.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2020, 09:52:31 AM »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2020, 09:54:43 AM »
Just out of curiosity:

Have any of you guys driven outside the US?  In the third world?  Just trying to get a handle on the perspective here.  I find US drivers to be inattentive and sometimes careless, but nowhere in the US even breaks my personal top 10 for idiot, scary and dangerous drivers.

Although, can confirm Mike's opinion that DC drivers are some of the worst in the States. My hypothesis is that people that frequently drive inside the beltway have enough smug it builds up in the car to a level that it actually impairs visibility.
No experience with that at all.  

The closest thing is one of the guys at work likes to watch dashcam videos from Europe and/or Russia showing all sorts of accidents.  Yes, a lot of people make crazy moves while driving, are not paying attention, or seem to have little to no depth perception.  
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2020, 10:02:41 AM »
Nope, I've never driven outside of the US, although I have driven in New England, and that was pretty damned sporty at times.

One of the major problems with drivers in DC, at least in the winter, is that a significant percentage of people who drive down here have NO clue how to drive in the winter. A lot of them come from countries (and more than a few states) that have multiple words for different kinds of rain or sand, but virtually nothing to describe snow or ice. They either freak out when it starts to snow, or they make no concessions to altering driving speeds in it at all.

All into that mix people who are used to driving in snow, plus the normal traffic load, and it quickly breaks down into a circus.

And, multiple times over the past few years the road treatment crews were "taken by surprise" by a winter storm (that was forecast) and NOTHING was done to the roads.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2020, 10:11:16 AM »
I've driven in Germany, Italy, and Mexico/the Caribbean.

Germany, despite the Autobahn 1000 miles an hour myth, is an extremely safe place to drive. I don't know the current regs, but getting a drivers license there has always been practically a college course/tactical driving course.

Driving in Italy was interesting. Once on a mountain road,  In was going around a blind curve when a panel truck suddenly showed up in my lane from the other direction. I barely escaped by running my cousin's car up the side of the hill. I was in "WTF!?!" mode, but my cousin just shrugged his shoulders like it was no big deal because it was Italy, and that's just the way it is.

Driving in Cozumel, Belize, and the Caymans was all mellow. Cozumel might be different now given its growth.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2020, 10:12:48 AM »
I will say that Italian bus drivers are freaking magicians and will casually take routes I'd be hesitant to take a car.

Our infrastructure (especially lane width) here really helps.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2020, 11:02:05 AM »
Italy is often entertaining.  It seem like Italians believe as long as the horn is beeping when they hit you, whatever else happens is on you.

Iraq, Kuwait, and some parts of Saudi have a very "Inshallah" feel to the driving.  We're going to do 180 mph, and drive wherever we want with no signals.  If something happens, it happens.  If the car is broken, we will buy a new one.

Southeast Asia is just very very crowded in the cities and jungle tracks outside of them.  So like the worst posiible traffic you can think of, then add bicycles, tuk-tuks and mopeds weaving through, plus 5 lane roundabouts.

Africa is......Africa.  I've only driven in East Africa, and it was what you would expect if you gave rednecks with no training Land Cruisers, shitty roads, and no accountability.

The US, UK and Western Europe does have the Caravan Menace, which adds to our sportiness, especially outside CONUS where two lane highways can go for a couple hundred miles.  People will make poor passing decisions rather then be stuck behind a Caravan for 3 hours.

To the OP, I do remember laughing every year I lived in Alaska as the first couple snows hit and folks went ditch diving.  I would always go up to the High School parking lot near my house late at night after the first snow and slide around a bit to "retune" my reflexes to snow driving.

FWIW Phenom Penh was the worst place I've driven for traffic, followed closely by Bagdad (when not in a tactical vehicle.  An MRAP makes traffic less of a big deal.)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2020, 11:07:16 AM »
About 18 years ago I had the pleasure of being in downtown Fort Worth for a week of company training when an ice storm moved in. I was on the 10th floor of a hotel with a corner room that looked out on the downtown area. Other than the room being damn cold it was one of the most entertaining evenings of watching traffic I've had in many years.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2020, 03:38:11 PM »
Now that the non essentials, and in particular parents taking their kids to school are back on the road I am constantly getting behind *expletive deleted*s who think 10 under the limit is the maximum speed they can safely go. If they exceed the “safe speed” by 1 mph they jam on the brakes to bring themselves 15 under the limit.

Just breath, life is too short to get upset about slow drivers. I'm so used to running into slow drivers and slow moving vehicles on rural roads that I usually pad any drive with distance an extra 15-20 minutes of drive time.

I went trout fishing on Sunday and I got caught in a Amish traffic jam driving there. I had to slowly pass 27 horse drawn carriages one at a time because they were all going to church. Took me 30 minutes to from start to finish to travel the 10 miles of road they were on.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2020, 04:53:03 PM »
Just breath, life is too short to get upset about slow drivers. I'm so used to running into slow drivers and slow moving vehicles on rural roads that I usually pad any drive with distance an extra 15-20 minutes of drive time.

I went trout fishing on Sunday and I got caught in a Amish traffic jam driving there. I had to slowly pass 27 horse drawn carriages one at a time because they were all going to church. Took me 30 minutes to from start to finish to travel the 10 miles of road they were on.

Agreed.  I'm much more concerned about people around me who are driving too fast for the conditions.  This creates an unsafe environment for both them and other roadway users, including myself.  Someone driving slowly may be an inconvenience to others, but the slow driver isn't causing a roadway safety issue.  (Within reason, I'm not talking about someone gong 5mph in the fast lane of the interstate  ;/)