Author Topic: Are cats really domesticated ?  (Read 11185 times)

Silver Bullet

• friend
Are cats really domesticated ?
« on: December 20, 2007, 06:47:55 AM »
I received this in an email a few days ago.  I havent had time to authenticate the facts contained within it.  I hope this is the appropriate forum to post it.

My question concerns the paragraph that claims liberals domesticated cats.  Can that be true ?  Im not sure cats can be considered domesticated.  According to Wikipedia, Domestication refers to the process whereby a population of animals or plants becomes accustomed to human provision and control.  Are cats really under our control ?

For those that don't know about history...Here is a condensed version.

Humans originally existed as members of small bands of nomadic
hunters/gatherers. They lived on deer in the mountains during the summer and would go to the coast and live on fish and lobster in the winter.

The two most important events in all of history were the invention of beer
and the invention of the wheel. The wheel was invented to get man to the
beer. These were the foundation of modern civilization and together were the catalyst for the splitting of humanity into two distinct subgroups:

1. Liberals; and
2. Conservatives.

Once beer was discovered, it required grain and that was the beginning of
agriculture. Neither the glass bottle nor aluminum can were invented yet, so
while our early humans were sitting around waiting for them to be invented,
they just stayed close to the brewery.

That's how villages were formed.

Some men spent their days tracking and killing animals to BBQ at night
while they were drinking beer. This was the beginning of what is known as
the Conservative movement.

Other men who were weaker and less skilled at hunting learned to live off
the conservatives by showing up for the nightly B-B-Q's and doing the
sewing, fetching, and hair dressing. This was the beginning of the Liberal
movement.

Some of these liberal men eventually evolved into women. The rest became
known as girlie-men or wussies. Some noteworthy liberal achievements include the domestication of cats, the invention of group therapy, group hugs, and the concept of voting to decide how to divide the meat and beer that conservatives provided.

Over the years Conservatives came to be symbolized by the largest, most
powerful land animal on earth; the elephant.

Liberals are symbolized by the jackass.

A few modern liberals like Mexican light beer (with lime added), but most
prefer a chilled glass of Sauvignon Blanc, with passion fruit and kiwi aromas
which are marked by grassy notes, then rounded out on the midpalate by peach flavors. Crisp and refreshing, with a hint of chalky minerality on the
finish; or Perrier bottled water. They eat raw fish but dislike beef. Sushi,
tofu, and French food are standard liberal fare.

Another interesting evolutionary side note: most of their women have higher
testosterone levels than their men. Most social workers, personal injury
attorneys, Ivy League professors, journalists, dreamers in Hollywood and
group therapists are liberals. Liberals invented the designated-hitter rule
because it wasn't fair to make the pitcher also bat.

Conservatives drink Sam Adams, Harpoon IPA or Yuengling Lager. They eat red meat and still provide for their women. Conservatives are big-game hunters, rodeo cowboys, lumberjacks, construction workers, firemen, medical doctors, police officers, corporate executives, athletes, Marines, and generally anyone who works productively.

Conservatives who own companies hire other conservatives who want to work for a living.

Liberals produce little or nothing. They like to govern the producers and
decide what to do with the production. Liberals believe Europeans are more
enlightened than Americans. That is why most of the liberals remained in
Europe when conservatives were coming to America. They crept in after the Wild West was tamed and created a business of trying to get more for
nothing.

Here ends today's lesson in world history: It should be noted that a Liberal
may have a momentary urge to angrily respond to the above before forwarding it. A Conservative will simply laugh and be so convinced of the absolute truth of this history that it will be forwarded immediately to other true believers and to more liberals just to piss them off.

So, having read all the facts, what do you think ?  Are cats domesticated or not ?

MrRezister

• I resist. It's what I do.
  • friend
  • Shank, shank, shank mommy's ankles!
Re: Are cats really domesticated ?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2007, 07:00:10 AM »
My cat refuses to go outdoors, tells me when it's feeding time, brushing time, and time to wake up.
Either she's domesticated.....
Or I am.

Crap, does being a cat person make me an evil Lib?
Bummer.
He never brought you an unbalanced budget, which is a perennial joke. He never voted himself a wage increase and, to this day, gives back part of his salary every year. He has always voted to preserve the Constitution, cut government spending, lower healthcare costs, end the war on drugs, secure our borders with immigration reform and protect our civil liberties.

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2007, 07:03:50 AM »
does being a cat person make me an evil Lib
Ummm, I don't think so ... it doesn't actually say anything about ownership, just the folks who went to the trouble to domesticate them.  You're still ok !

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2007, 07:05:43 AM »
Technically I believe that cats are considered to be partially domesticated.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2007, 07:39:09 AM »
I think cats "domesticated" themselves as an evolutionary tactic.

Humans had large stores of grain and other things that rodents liked.

Cats like to eat rodents.

Cats that did not mind the presence of people were most likely to be able to catch the rodents in the grain stores.

A cat that will live in a house is protected from larger competing predators, and will have access to food in the form of rodents that come in to get the human food.

And so on and so on. Since ancient times, there have been farm cats. Since the first floating vessels, there's been ships' cats catching rodents in the hold. This has been beneficial to the people, who watched the cats consume the disease-carrying, grain-destroying rodents and realized they were a Good Thing, and beneficial to the cats, which had a source of food and, often, shelter and a warm place to sleep.

Their hunting instincts are definitely still intact, that's for sure.

As for ships' cats, I remember reading one (happy ending) story about a Merchant Marine cargo ship that caught fire before WWI, and sank. Everyone got off alright, and they even were able to rescue all the ships' cats, including a new litter of kittens...the crewmembers had cats stuffed in their peacoats to keep them warm. When they were rescued by the RMS Mauretania, first-class passengers were entertained by kittens skittering around the first-class smoking room, where they were quickly adopted by and went home with some of the world's wealthiest people.

Talk about a happy ending for some cats!  smiley

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2007, 08:00:52 AM »
I would say they're domesticated, because while I don't have much oversight of a cat's day-to-day activities, I can bring him to the barely- speaks-English Indian veterinarian who operates out of a strip mall who'll give otherwise healthy looking cats "the shot" without any extra guilt or unwanted questions. To throw in the random Dune quotation, "The power to destroy a thing..."

They're also domesticated because they inconveniently live so much longer than their feral counterparts....

Don't worry cat-lovers, I don't let him know how I feel, and he has a good life.
I promise not to duck.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2007, 08:10:50 AM »
I don't confuse domestication with trust and love.

My cat will keep her eyes open if she gets something in the corner of her eye, for me carefully to take my finger and get it out. She trusts me, and looks up at me with wide eyes when I do that, calm. But if something else moves at her face, she'll close her eyes, and if something falls, she'll do an agile dodge and get out of the way to someplace safe.

She just trusts me, is all. Since she was a tiny squeaky kitten who could be carried around on one palm, nothing I've ever done has hurt her.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2007, 02:20:58 PM »
I just asked Gizmo and Tubby if they were domesticated.  They politely looked at me while I was talking to them.  Then they looked at each other.  Then they both coughed up a hair ball and walked into the other room.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

MrRezister

• I resist. It's what I do.
  • friend
  • Shank, shank, shank mommy's ankles!
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2007, 02:25:29 PM »
^ Pretty much the same thing I would've done, so.....

maybe?
He never brought you an unbalanced budget, which is a perennial joke. He never voted himself a wage increase and, to this day, gives back part of his salary every year. He has always voted to preserve the Constitution, cut government spending, lower healthcare costs, end the war on drugs, secure our borders with immigration reform and protect our civil liberties.

JimMarch

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2007, 03:44:24 PM »

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2007, 09:28:38 PM »
About a month ago there was a story in the news about a dog who saved his owners' lives by barking and rousing them from sleep while their house was burning.  The story ended on the note that the fire was set by the family cat.   cheesy 

Not sure how the authorities figured out it was the cat, unless it had been seen playing with matches shortly before the fire.

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2007, 10:53:56 PM »
My cat woke me up to make sure I let you know she's not amused at ALL.
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2007, 01:44:39 AM »
Cats are domesticated as much as they want us to think.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2007, 05:47:57 AM »
Jim,

Video was great.   grin
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2007, 06:12:58 AM »
Are cats really domesticated ?

Only when cooked in soy sauce.  grin
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2007, 09:16:43 AM »
Which is more domesticated - the animal that bathes itself and instinctively understands how to use a proper toilet... or the animal that prefers to smell of dead things and will void itself anywhere without extensive training (and sometimes not even then)?
"The famously genial grin turned into a rictus of senile fury: I was looking at a cruel and stupid lizard."

grampster

• friend
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2007, 10:46:49 AM »
"...or the animal that prefers to smell of dead things and will void itself anywhere without extensive training (and sometimes not even then)?"

You posted this in the wrong thread.  Please transfer this to the pick on Mike thread...Or, were you referring to fistful?  angel   grin grin

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2007, 10:56:39 AM »
Heck, I'm just barely domesticated  laugh

Dogs are man's best buddy and servant, but cats and horses demand trust and respect.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
    • http://www.punk-rock.com
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2007, 12:34:17 PM »
My cats are wild enough that I'd have to shoot them if I wasn't 10x their size.

That's why I like them.

<-- Heinlein Libertarian, btw.

Antibubba

• friend
Ergo sum idiots believe this
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2007, 07:33:01 AM »
Cats are domesticated as much as they want us to think.

Exactly!  Cats have a thin veneer of domestication--and since liberals believe that the appearance of and desire for something is the same as it being so, to liberals, cats are domesticated.

If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

InfidelSerf

• friend
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2007, 08:57:20 AM »
Dogs have Masters... Cats have Staff.
The hour is fast approaching,on which the Honor&Success of this army,and the safety of our bleeding Country depend.Remember~Soldiers,that you are Freemen,fighting for the blessings of Liberty-that slavery will be your portion,and that of your posterity,if you do not acquit yourselves like men.GW8/76

Rocketman56

« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2007, 09:14:16 AM »
veloce851

LMAO!  As true and simple a way to state it..

-Steve
An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.
Robert A. Heinlein

Ad astra per aspera
"through the thorns to the stars"

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2007, 12:06:08 PM »

I guess that's why our cat hasn't figured out that he needs to get out of my path when I'm walking.  Walking through him, or even out-right kicking him, doesn't seem to learn him nothin'. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2007, 12:18:50 PM »

I guess that's why our cat hasn't figured out that he needs to get out of my path when I'm walking.  Walking through him, or even out-right kicking him, doesn't seem to learn him nothin'. 

You are the one that's not learning very fast Wink

Eventually you will learn to get out of his path.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

arflattop

« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2007, 07:20:31 PM »
I've owned a bunch of cats in my life -- they're like women.  They tolerate you, they won't change -- just accept them as they are..... smiley