Author Topic: Humidity is evil  (Read 11218 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Humidity is evil
« on: June 07, 2008, 08:01:37 AM »
I just mowed my lawn.  Small yard.  I use a small push-mower.  Took me about one hour.  The temperature is 86, with 63% humidity.  Or so they tell me.  My clothes are just soaked. 

Mitigating/exacerbating factors: 
     I was mostly in the shade. 
     I was wearing a light-weight, long-sleeve shirt, to cover up the poison ivy on my arms. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Manedwolf

• friend
Re: Humidity is evil
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2008, 08:03:31 AM »
And you didn't see all the weather reports that this weekend was a heat wave?

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2008, 08:05:11 AM »
86 is a heat wave? 

Regardless, the grass needed mowing, or I'd be going to court.  Again.   smiley

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2008, 08:06:25 AM »
Well, it's supposed to get a lot hotter this afternoon and Sunday. That's what all the weather reports are yelling for the midwest, northeast, etc...most everywhere, I think. When they start about "cooling centers", that's when I know to stay indoors that weekend.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2008, 08:08:13 AM »
or I'd be going to court.  Again.

El Tejon get you? Did you tell him you thought high grass would be a good thing because it hid the appliances on your porch?

laugh Tongue
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2008, 09:41:43 AM »
It may get up to 60 F today here.

Our "climate" is 10 months of cold, windy, mostly cloudy weather and 2 months of 100+ degrees and extreme fire danger.  undecided
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2008, 11:53:22 AM »
It has been in the 90's here.  I am about to go out and mow my yard.  About an hour also.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2008, 12:18:53 PM »
Over 100 today and high humidity.  I spent all day running around the fairgrounds putting out fires (personnel kind, not real) and dealing with hamfest issues.  Tomorrow, I'll be doing the same thing, but the hamfest will be going on around me.

Chris

Parker Dean

• friend
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2008, 12:43:46 PM »
Here, on the South Texas Gulf Coast, I find it well worth the $80 a month to have a crew show up and mow the yard for me.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2008, 01:46:21 PM »
79 and 32% humidity at 1530. It's getting pretty bad. I'm just getting ready to break out the Mojitos to help me make it through this before the sun finally goes down.

grin grin grin
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2008, 02:06:22 PM »
Right now it's 94 and about 50% humidity.

"Feels like" temperature is 101.

It was far hotter than that several hours ago. Supposedly the feels like temp hit 109 around 4 p.m.

I made the mistake of working on the brick on my house. I don't feel so good right now.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2008, 02:21:50 PM »
Ouch.   shocked

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2008, 02:35:57 PM »
i'm scraping paint at 8 am  all welcome  off by noon
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2008, 03:17:29 PM »
So that's where all my warm weather went....

It's 56 degrees here, cloudy.  I'm wearing a freaking sweater.  In June.   angry
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2008, 03:31:13 PM »
I just mowed my lawn.  Small yard.  I use a small push-mower.  Took me about one hour.  The temperature is 86, with 63% humidity.  Or so they tell me.  My clothes are just soaked. 

I was wearing a light-weight, long-sleeve shirt, to cover up the poison ivy on my arms. 

I had to take an Army physical fitness test this morning in Atlanta. Humidity was very high and temperature in the 90's. I thought I was in great shape for a 37-year-old but it took me 17:05 to run two miles this morning.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2008, 03:54:12 PM »

It's 56 degrees here, cloudy.  I'm wearing a freaking sweater.  In June.   angry

Lucky.  Why would you wear a sweater?  56 degrees is light cotton shirt weather.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2008, 04:02:56 PM »

Lucky.  Why would you wear a sweater?  56 degrees is light cotton shirt weather.

I'm from Nevada.  We typically don't break out the light cotten shirts until the mercury pushes past 75 or so. 95 degrees is considered about optimal.  laugh
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2008, 05:39:43 PM »
Either way, I would love to be feeling some weather like that. 

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2008, 06:14:18 PM »

I had to take an Army physical fitness test this morning in Atlanta. Humidity was very high and temperature in the 90's. I thought I was in great shape for a 37-year-old but it took me 17:05 to run two miles this morning.

Depends on the sort of training you've been doing, too. If there's requirements for that, yes, but someone can "be in shape" but trained more for sprints or weightlifting than endurance, whatever their age.

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2008, 06:34:27 PM »
I almost broke a bead writing the check for the lawn service. Does that count?  Cheesy

Seriously, I dig ditches by hand and run gas pipe for a paycheck and there will be frostbite on the devils *expletive deleted*ss before I push a mower especially here in central florida. PERIOD

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2008, 07:10:09 PM »
Sweating is supposed to be healthy for you. Helps your body get rid of a lot of those heavy metals, they say.
Maybe try one of those moisture-wicking shirts they sell nowadays, no idea if they help. I've found that it's a bit more comfortable to tuck in the shirt (cotton t-shirt, that is) than to leave it loose. Wear a hat, too - it also helps with sweat containment, along with keeping your ears and neck from being roasted.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2008, 08:28:16 PM »
Wear a hat in the humidity and heat?  Unless I'm in the desert, with sun pouring down on me, no thanks. 

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2008, 09:14:06 PM »
Hum....

2 a.m...

73 degrees F.

90% humidity.

It's like breathing a wet blanket...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2008, 09:25:17 PM »
Nights were like that, down at Fort Hood.  It doesn't get that bad here, at least not at night. 

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2008, 10:14:54 PM »
Hum....

2 a.m...

73 degrees F.

90% humidity.

It's like breathing a wet blanket...

Yup.  It's roughly the same at 3am.  Hope we don't have any heat related injuries today.  Off to the hamfest...

Chris