Author Topic: Humidity is evil  (Read 11217 times)

Manedwolf

• friend
Re: Humidity is evil
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2008, 10:19:51 PM »
The definition of summer in South Florida was that if you closed your eyes, you couldn't tell if you'd walked out the front door or walked out the back door and fallen into the jacuzzi.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2008, 10:37:05 PM »
Temps here running 105+.  Not sure of the humidity probably around 10%.

Seems to rise in the evenings as the temps drop to around 90.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2008, 03:19:55 AM »
Temps here running 105+.  Not sure of the humidity probably around 10%.

Seems to rise in the evenings as the temps drop to around 90.

Boy, does that bring back memories!

Got off the Continental Airlines plane in Danang - after the internal fog lifted - to 110 and maybe 2% humidity.  Walking down the rolling stairs & across the tarmac to some metal building I must have sweated 2 gallons, but by the time I sat down on a wooden bench all I had to show for it were big salt stains under my arms, in the crotch, and down the front & back of my shirt.

Weather reports tried to make us feel better: "Temperatures around 110 today and tomorrow, then cooling to around 107 by midweek."

After 4 months of "But it's a dry heat" I was introduced to the monsoons.  Ask me why I do not find the sound of rain on a tin roof romantic.

God bless the folks who invented air conditioning.  I'm not coming out until after Labor Day.

stay safe.

skidmark
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2008, 06:41:45 AM »
"Off to the hamfest..."

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Baked hammmmmm....

GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2008, 07:00:38 AM »
It was mostly sunny yesterday, after a cold windy start.   I finally got all the lawn (about an acre around the house) mowed.

This morning, it's 47 degrees, raining and the wind is blowing.  I had on a flannel shirt and carhart vest and chore coat (plus the standard jeans, boots, and t-shirt) while feeding the horses this morning and was still cold. 

Basically, I'm wearing the same clothes in June that I wore in January  rolleyes

The rain will suddenly stop one day around the end of the month.  Then it will be 100 degrees for a couple months.  shocked
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2008, 08:51:07 AM »
I damn near died yesterday working in the un-insulated house, on a ladder in the "attic". My duty cycle was 30 minutes on, 30 off to sit in the gazebo and drink lemonade. At day's end ("Miller Time!" I didn't even want a beer. I crashed about 7:30. Started early today and had the counter blocking installed by ten and quit. Damned sauna.

TC
TC
RT Refugee

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2008, 12:19:13 PM »
I damn near died yesterday walking home from the park with the kiddo, past some people doing yard work. 

First summer since I got asthma.  Turns out, humidity is both unfun and life-threatening.  Who knew?

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2008, 12:23:49 PM »
Wear a hat in the humidity and heat?  Unless I'm in the desert, with sun pouring down on me, no thanks. 

Well, a polyester & wool hat might be a bad idea.  But, a cotton boonie hat is just the ticket.  Sucks up the sweat from your brow nad keeps the topside from getting all sunbrny.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2008, 12:37:44 PM »
Yesterday I helped one of my friends take down a fairly large tree.  I'd guess about 20" trunk diameter, but pretty darn tall.  Even though I took plenty of breaks and drank tons of water, hauling a Stihl chainsaw around all day will make you sweat *tons*.  Being as the other guys had no experience or common sense when dealing with chainsaws or felling trees (there's a fair bit of strategy to *not* hit the house!), I opted to do all the cutting; but I made them do the dragging  smiley

I was pretty dehydrated by the time I got home.  It was in the mid-80's with about 65-60% humidity.

mek42

« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2008, 02:41:52 PM »
I was outside yesterday cutting panels from plywood for a woodworking project.  I managed to only sweat on the sides that won't be visible.  It was less than pleasant.

I'm glad there is a written record here that in at least (only?) one thread, Fistful and I are in agreement.   laugh

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2008, 03:11:18 PM »
I just mowed my lawn.  Small yard.  I use a small push-mower.  Took me about one hour.  The temperature is 86, with 63% humidity.  Or so they tell me.  My clothes are just soaked. 

Mitigating/exacerbating factors: 
     I was mostly in the shade. 
     I was wearing a light-weight, long-sleeve shirt, to cover up the poison ivy on my arms. 
It's been 100-110 around here past few days.  With high humidity.
SO STFU.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2008, 03:41:58 PM »
Where you is at?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2008, 04:10:59 PM »
I stay in NC yo.
East side.
Hertford (County).
Word.
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2008, 07:25:47 AM »
Praise Jessel!

The heat and humidity have FINALLY broken!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2008, 12:26:55 PM »
Not before they broke X-MA-hole.   cheesy
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2008, 12:29:43 PM »
amen! i lasted past noon on  the scaffold
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #41 on: June 11, 2008, 12:32:21 PM »
Didn't break me.  I'm made of sterner stuff. Cheesy

Chris

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #42 on: June 11, 2008, 12:37:12 PM »
the heat has broken slightly. but its still to hot in central VA for june. at least the humidity has droped.

on saterday, katie and E.J. went to florida to show two dogs and so lousie asked me to comeout to the barn. first was pulling hay down and ending up with hay stuck to sweat. then getting goats to bash me in the ankles. stupid goats. then down to the kennels to fill up water buckets for the dogs. funny thing was lousie stayed in the steel building, where it was shadey and slightly cooler then the pavillian, while i was out watering her dogs and horses and luging around a hose.

i ended up laying on the floor at my moms house with ice packs on my back. and then soaked in a cool bath, followed by a cold shower. by the time i got home i was covered in sweat again.

i am threating to move to anartica for the rest of the summer. care to join me? (by the way, i don't know if there will be baby seals to club, but we can waddle around with peinguins)
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #43 on: June 11, 2008, 03:19:38 PM »
i am threating to move to anartica for the rest of the summer. care to join me?

You could try Montana, instead ....   rolleyes

http://www.billingsgazette.net/articles/2008/06/11/news/state/16-snow.txt

GREAT FALLS - A late spring storm that rolled through central Montana early Wednesday dumped two to four inches of snow in Great Falls, downed numerous power lines and caused power outages in many sections of the city.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #44 on: June 11, 2008, 03:33:46 PM »
Broke off here too.
Still hot, but not as hot, humidity doesn't seem as bad either.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #45 on: June 11, 2008, 03:47:11 PM »
if i move to montana it'll be your fault
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #46 on: June 11, 2008, 05:17:30 PM »
I just hide in the basement (where it's like 65-68 degrees) all year round......

No skeeters down here either.....just me, the dog and the occasional spider..... grin
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #47 on: June 11, 2008, 06:11:57 PM »
I just hide in the basement (where it's like 65-68 degrees) all year round......

No skeeters down here either.....just me, the dog and the occasional spider..... grin

Don't forget your cheetos and wookie costume.

Chris

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #48 on: June 11, 2008, 07:19:53 PM »
Heat? Humidity? Whatcha guys talkin' about? (It was in the 60's here today.)
Andy

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #49 on: June 12, 2008, 04:26:22 AM »
Who know that scout was a Ron Paul voter?

Fist, humidity is water.  Water is life.  Fistful, why do you hate life (and America)?
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.