Author Topic: Everything you wanted to know about Arizona Sheriff Joe Arpaio (multiple merged threads)  (Read 11138 times)

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
Sheriff Joe can have effective methods in one area, while being a scumbag in other areas.

Sounds like what you need is an honest version of Sheriff Joe, someone who will work hard against illegal immigration without being a scumbag everywhere else.

And no, I don't have a dog in this fight.  I'm basing my opinion of the man on the words of people I trust.  I'm just saying that even if the guy is doing things you like, you could probably benefit from a better representative.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
a horse?  not really other than amazement at what you can get away with if you make folks happy in some primal way.

his history is quite impressive and grows more so each day.  what is it that makes you guys happy?  it can't be crime rate reduction or a reduction in recidivism. and the kinda money you are laying out in court settlements is record breaking.  not to mention those pesky dead folks.
when he first came on the scene i liked him too.  and at first i dismissed the stories.  but then they started to get more frequent and egregious.  then there lil events like the deputy taking papers of the defense attorneys table behind her back in open court.  and sheriff joe promptly filing charges against the judge who gigged the deputy. i think there are some folks who demonstrate the old saw about power corrupts. i could dismiss the fibs he tells about his career but he tells so many. bad for a guy who needs credibility both for himself as well as his dept.
its possible that all the folks liking him so much and winking at some of his smaller incidents have set the stage for a larger range of transgressions. when folks pooh poohed the one paper i got sources and stories from the arizona repubic to back up the "liberal rag"
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
So much for thinking the pissy aspects of the previously-closed thread wouldn't return...  ;/
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

MicroBalrog

• friend
Amazing, really - I agree with c&sd. Yet once more.

And HTG, to boot.

Guys, proper prison and investigative procedures are not 'formailities'. They're really far more important than whether the illegals get deported, though deported they should be.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

jackdanson

• friend
It should also be noted that Joe operates a JAIL not a PRISON.  Many of the folks in jail haven't been convicted of anything yet, and may well be set free.  Those that are in the jail as a sentence are there for no less than one year, meaning their crime probably wasn't something horrendous. (that is, if they operate the same way my state does)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
A Joe Arpaio is exactly what one ought to expect, given the circumstances.

The nat'l/state gov't refuses to take the worries of the citizens seriously and then goes on to insult the citizens by calling them xenophobes because they are against allowing ignorant foreign 18th century peasants taking over their locality.

Someone like Arpaio steps in and treats the concerns of the citizens as serious and is willing to challenge those who refuse to do their duty at higher levels of gov't.  The citizens are willing to tolerate his obvious flaws because he is one of the very few who does what he says and doesn't rub their noses in his perceived superiority.

If state & fed.gov took their duties seriously, Joe Arpaio would never have gotten elected to anything but dog catcher.  

I think we can expect more Joe Arpaios in the future, unless state & fed.gov gets their acts in order.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
there will be a cost to the area and i suspect the 40 some mill is just the tip of the iceberg. i hope the folks out there aren't left holding a bigger bag than they ever imagined joe will be gone one way or another  the lawsuits are taking on a life of their own
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I