Author Topic: 1-way planetary colonization  (Read 11196 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
1-way planetary colonization
« on: October 27, 2010, 01:01:47 PM »
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1324192/Nasa-plan-Hundred-Year-Starship--mission-astronauts-Mars-leave-forever.html

I approve.

Even if the proposed Martian colony becomes a welfare boondoggle, it would permanently put support infrastructure into Earth orbit for routine interplanetary travel.  It would also cause others like Rutan to consider further steps to privatize space, such as mining asteroids for fuel (for routine interplanetary travel) and materials to construct spacecraft or lunar base modules.

The idea of 4 people, though... probably 2 women and 2 men, creeps me out.  The inbreeding of the children would be inhumane.  I can see 4 people up there for 5 years or so to do some preliminary ground work to build a base, then another group to come and augment them.  I can't see a colony surviving in a genetically healthy state (not to mention the civil rights issues of scientifically arranged marriages), with less than at least 50 people.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
Re: 1-way planetary colonization
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2010, 01:20:39 PM »
You could keep the genetic lines separate until the third generation, the grandchildren.  They should have plenty of time to bring in fresh blood before inbreeding becomes necessary.

Although, could you imagine growing up entirely on Mars and never knowing more than a handful of people?

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2010, 02:16:40 PM »
From what this article says, you need ~160 people to get enough genetic diversity for a successful healthy population, though you could go down to 80 with some social engineering (planned breeding).

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2010, 02:34:45 PM »
1 way may not be be necessary. The plasma drive has real money behind it, and they already have plans for what amounts to an orbital tow truck. Apparently there is money to be made retrieving dead satellites.

http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/shuttle/support/researching/aspl/index.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variable_Specific_Impulse_Magnetoplasma_Rocket
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2010, 02:53:27 PM »
The astronauts would be sent supplies from Earth on a regular basis but they would be expected to become self-sufficient on the red planet’s surface as soon as possible.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1324192/Nasa-plan-Hundred-Year-Starship--mission-astronauts-Mars-leave-forever.html#ixzz13afDBFjp

Why couldn't they just send more people later on to broaden the gene pool  ???

BTW, whatever happened to that elliptical solar orbit ferry plan that I heard about a few years back...?  It was supposed to wobble back and forth between earth and mars every few years.  Once built and manuvered into the proper orbit, it would be a permanent "road" to mars and back.

Who would go on such an expedition?  Volunteers or not  =|

You know who the first "settlers" in Australia were  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2010, 03:07:24 PM »
babies are resource hogs

sterilize the travelers
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2010, 03:36:14 PM »
Apparently there is money to be made retrieving dead satellites.

I can believe it.

All the solar arrays, antennas and parabolic dishes are out there.  As well as the fact that it doesn't cost anything to get them into orbit since they're already out there.

If someone could gather derelict satellites for recommissioning, or assembly into new spacecraft, that would be awesome.

Recycling becomes MUCH more valuable when you factor in the lift costs to get any new mass into space.  That whole scene in the latest Star Trek movie, with the NCC-1701 being built on Earth's surface, irked me.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2010, 03:47:13 PM »
I'm pretty sure there would be many follow-on colonists. The newspaper (This is the "Daily Mail" after all...) is hyping the "Robinson Caruso" aspects of this.

The main point is that one-way, they can double or even triple the amount of cargo, supplies, and "bootstrap" technology they send with them.

If the space-craft does not need to come back, they can have larger landers that serve as shelters, or once they dig underground, as "garages" etc. Or have greenhouse and "air factory" modules etc. All the return trip fuel can be extra gear and consumables. Instead of having to take the nuke-reactor home, they get to keep it for power.

The logistical benefits of one-way colonization of Mars are immense.

Taking it further, pieces of the ship could be left in Mars orbit to serve as parts of an eventual space station to serve as an infrastructure base for LMO operations. (Low Mars Orbit) If follow-on ships can dock with the station, and then ferry people/supplies down to Mars, then those ships won't even need landers, and can carry even more gear/people/supplies.

I don't have a count, but I'd say that the majority of the modern Mars mission concepts leave behind lots of gear, or have unmanned cargo/fuel vehicles for return trips etc. This is just taking it to a logical extreme to maximize those advantages.
I promise not to duck.

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2010, 03:58:13 PM »
There's also nothing that says that a colonization expedition has to be made all in one vessel, all at once.  The only reason that speed-of-transit is important is because in space, you only have the raw materials you take with you, and life support requires materials and energy to maintain.  There's no reason at all that one or more slower (and therefore potentially cheaper/simpler) cargo-only ships couldn't be sent on well in advance, with things like reactors, ikea flat-box all-you-need-is-an-allen-wrench housing modules, and so forth, to arrive well before any actual personnel; doing so would actually simplify things quite a lot, because you wouldn't even launch the people-carrier until you had confirmation that the materials they would need are safely at the destination. 

Not having to carry anything at all but life support for the trip should lighten the load for the personnel transport, too.
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2010, 04:28:46 PM »
I just got the following message on my rear molar: 

You people keep the hell off'n my planet!!!  If'n you know whats good fer ya!!!
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

taurusowner

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2010, 04:37:20 PM »
Question:  Do you think planets should remain colonies of their respective nations, of earth as a whole, or if they can support it, entirely separate and sovereign worlds.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2010, 04:48:43 PM »
Question:  Do you think planets should remain colonies of their respective nations, of earth as a whole, or if they can support it, entirely separate and sovereign worlds.

Those dang Martian rebels!   :police:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2010, 04:51:05 PM »

Until they can achieve self-sufficiency, they simply cannot be sovereign worlds.  Afterward, it only makes sense for them to be sovereign; fighting a war across an ocean during the 18th century was less of a logistical nightmare than attempting to put down a revolution across an interplanetary gap. 

The needs of the people of Mars would be different enough from the needs of people on Earth (far less in common than English colonists had with the Mother England) that it doesn't make sense to try to govern them from afar; all they have to do is take the phone off the hook, and >poof< they're self-governing.

During the colonial period, before self-sufficiency, I would expect that the colony would remain beholden to the governance of whatever entity put it there and continues to supply it; certainly the UN (for instance) shouldn't get to say a thing about what happens at a colony that was put together (and paid for) by a single nation or a coalition; the nation or coalition that's footing the bills has the right to control the colony.

After self-sufficiency, the economic balance shifts to one of trade; it behooves both sides to play well together.
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2010, 05:27:00 PM »
The idea of 4 people, though... probably 2 women and 2 men, creeps me out.  The inbreeding of the children would be inhumane.  I can see 4 people up there for 5 years or so to do some preliminary ground work to build a base, then another group to come and augment them.  I can't see a colony surviving in a genetically healthy state (not to mention the civil rights issues of scientifically arranged marriages), with less than at least 50 people.

You don't need to send more people to avoid inbreeding. Send sperm (and possibly egg) samples from several hundred parents.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2010, 05:55:57 PM »
You don't need to send more people to avoid inbreeding. Send sperm
An interesting solution....
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2010, 05:58:20 PM »
You don't need to send more people to avoid inbreeding. Send sperm (and possibly egg) samples from several hundred parents.

That is a technically correct answer but totally buzz kills a few fantasies.

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2010, 06:03:12 PM »
I would sign up in a heartbeat=)
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2010, 09:36:43 PM »
Can I go alone? People have really brought out my love for them today.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2010, 10:40:49 PM »
I would sign up in a heartbeat=)

+ Eleventy.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2010, 10:49:33 PM »
You could keep the genetic lines separate until the third generation, the grandchildren.  They should have plenty of time to bring in fresh blood before inbreeding becomes necessary.

Although, could you imagine growing up entirely on Mars and never knowing more than a handful of people?

Seemed to work out okay after the garden of Eden and The Flood....................just sayin'.
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2010, 11:05:45 PM »
Isn't there also some form of 'controlled inbreeding', which prevents the more horrific genetic malformations that inbreeding causes?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2010, 11:24:05 PM »
1 way may not be be necessary. The plasma drive has real money behind it, and they already have plans for what amounts to an orbital tow truck. Apparently there is money to be made retrieving dead satellites.

http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/shuttle/support/researching/aspl/index.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variable_Specific_Impulse_Magnetoplasma_Rocket

I've always thought it could be a profitable venture IF you already have a space vehicle capable of making the trip multiple times and it is capable of collecting space junk. Of course some of that stuff has some kind of nuclear power source so an extra bit of caution with that.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

erictank

• friends
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2010, 11:32:47 PM »
babies are resource hogs

sterilize the travelers

Kind of defeats the whole purpose of "colonization", doesn't it? ???

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2010, 11:36:15 PM »

I've always thought it could be a profitable venture IF you already have a space vehicle capable of making the trip multiple times and it is capable of collecting space junk. Of course some of that stuff has some kind of nuclear power source so an extra bit of caution with that.

Sounds like time to call ole Andy out of retirement.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salvage_1

I thought it was a neat show when it came out. But like most shows I watched on the whole three channels we got at the time, it was cancelled.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2010, 11:37:17 PM »
The idea of 4 people, though... probably 2 women and 2 men, creeps me out.  The inbreeding of the children would be inhumane. 

Arkansas in space. Each day brings us closer and closer to Firefly.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife