Author Topic: Material lust: Coonan Arms .357 Mag 1911 vs. Kimber 10mm 1911. Thoughts?  (Read 11236 times)

Chuck Dye

• friend
So the tax refund is imminent and Coonan Arms is back.  I have lusted for a 10mm since I first saw the Dornhaus & Dixon brochure.  The Coonan has also been an object of lust since first introduced.  Naturally, there are any  number of .357 revolvers to accompany the Coonan, and the S&W 610 and some custom GP100s in 10mm go with the Kimber.  I probably won't buy either autoloader or any of the accompanying revolvers, but I would like your input.
Gee, I'd love to see your data!

AZRedhawk44

• friends
I've got a friend with a Grizzly in .357.  Great gun.  Never shot a Coonan though.

Mags are REALLY expensive and hard to find though.

Given a choice between a .357 1911-style, and a 10mm 1911-style, I'd go with 10mm personally.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Did anyone read that as "marital lust"?

As for buying a gun - is there any reason beyond "Because I want to"?

If you have the bucks or can figure out how to survive on Top Ramen and Spam to cover the bills, go for it.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Chuck, do you mean .357Sig?  I didn't know anyone is making a 1911 chambered in .357Mag.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

MikeB

• friend
I have Coonan, actually two of them. They do not always run right with all .357Mag ammo, if you find ammo that works well they will run right. It's been awhile since I shot mine, but if I recall correctly they favored a "heavier" load, heavier grain bullet and not a reduced powder charge. Never bothered trying Self-Defense ammo. If it were me, I'd go for the 10mm, unless you just want the Coonan to have a almost 1911 that shoots .357; which is exactly why I go mine. Though I don't own that Kimber in 10mm, I have several 1911's in 10mm and they aren't picky about ammo like the Coonan.

Fly320s

• friend

...the more I realize I don't know.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Years ago, I, too, lusted after a Coonan in .357mag.

These days, I would get the 10mm 1911.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
You'd have to be crazier than H.P. Lovecraft to want either of those.

Oh, wait...
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

MechAg94

• friend
I'd go 1911 myself.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

SADShooter

• friend
My goal is a 1911 chambered in 9x23 Winchester. More oomph than .38 Super, less recoil than 10mm.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

De Selby

• friend
Dont know about the kimber, but my experience with an old coonan was that it was junk.  It was a gimmick gun that never ran right.  If it weren't collectible I'd have traded it for something more reliable, like a Jennings .22 or high point.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

roo_ster

• friend
Dont know about the kimber, but my experience with an old coonan was that it was junk.  It was a gimmick gun that never ran right.  If it weren't collectible I'd have traded it for something more reliable, like a Jennings .22 or high point.

Ow, my liver!

I think the current manufacturer just collapsed from a phantom kick to the jimmy.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

De Selby

• friend
Ow, my liver!

I think the current manufacturer just collapsed from a phantom kick to the jimmy.

Let's hope the new mfg is doing a better job.  I get sour about the coonan because it looked so cool in the shop, and never once got through a full magazine. 

Maybe someone needs to make a rimless .357 to go with an auto carbine and pistol combo.  Wouldn't that be nifty?
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Regolith

• friend
Maybe someone needs to make a rimless .357 to go with an auto carbine and pistol combo.  Wouldn't that be nifty?

You mean like the .357 Sig?

Well, it's pretty close the classic 125gr .357 magnum load, anyway. Which is its whole purpose of being.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Fly320s

• friend
Let's hope the new mfg is doing a better job.  I get sour about the coonan because it looked so cool in the shop, and never once got through a full magazine.
Which is why I was surprised that someone is chambering a 1911ish pistol in a rimmed cartridge. Those are hard to feed when confined to the angle available in the frame of a 1911.

Pharmacology

• friends
But can't the .38 super be loaded to the same league of hot-ness that the .357 mag can, and used in a standard 1911 that ridiculous looking grip? ???

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Which is why I was surprised that someone is chambering a 1911ish pistol in a rimmed cartridge. Those are hard to feed when confined to the angle available in the frame of a 1911.

A clue is that the .357Mag 1911 makers have never been hugely successful...

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

AZRedhawk44

• friends
You mean like the .357 Sig?

Well, it's pretty close the classic 125gr .357 magnum load, anyway. Which is its whole purpose of being.

No, a .357 that doesn't suck. :lol:

I hate the .357 sig.  Bottlenecks don't belong on pistol cartridges.  They use up capacity in the magazine.

A rimless .357, designed to operate in a new M1 carbine and a companion autoloading pistol, would be awesome.  Something that can handle sectional densities matching 158gr-180gr .357 loads.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

De Selby

• friend
No, a .357 that doesn't suck. :lol:

I hate the .357 sig.  Bottlenecks don't belong on pistol cartridges.  They use up capacity in the magazine.

A rimless .357, designed to operate in a new M1 carbine and a companion autoloading pistol, would be awesome.  Something that can handle sectional densities matching 158gr-180gr .357 loads.

Exactly - .357 sig might as well have been named .38 ultra. It's like an old super, not a proper .357

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
Coonan had a table at Knob Creek. VERY secksy... I wish I had the cash.
Blog under construction

roo_ster

• friend
I never took much to .38Super or .357Sig once I found out about 9mm+P+ loadings.  I also imagine a 1911 in .357mag will have limitations on max/min bullet weight, just like all the other 9mm 1911 variants.

Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

geronimotwo

• friend
i like the .357mag load (which is why i have a revolver), but i gotta vote 10mm.  semi-auto = rimless!
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2