Author Topic: Try to find employees who can pass a drug test  (Read 11153 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Try to find employees who can pass a drug test
« on: May 17, 2016, 08:55:19 AM »
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/18/business/hiring-hurdle-finding-workers-who-can-pass-a-drug-test.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=first-column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=0

We see this a bit in our local healthcare market, now that recreational marijuana is legal here.  A friend of mine works for a local builder, and says they have a tremendous problem finding construction and laborer employees who don't test dirty primarily for pot.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Re: Try to find employees who can pass a drug test
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2016, 09:56:08 AM »

Other thing to remember is that common cheap urinalysis kits have a pretty high false positive rate. They're shocking crap. Per manufacturer, they're not supposed to be sole determination. You're supposed to always double check a positive with gas chromatography–mass spectrometry. Which no employer ever does, the majority of them have no idea that said tests could even have a false positive. Mythbusters did an episode on it.

Concur that it's a real problem. And the law is sketchy on recreational marijuana and employment. We test on hiring and after an accident. If a forklift driver is found to have THC in their system and says they used legal recreational marijuana while well off-shift (ie only on Friday night and it is currently Tuesday), are they still considered impaired? There is no way they're actually chemically impaired. But testing positive means that they're legally under the influence.

Haven't heard any good suggestions yet, and we have a subsidiary in Colorado.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2016, 09:57:52 AM »
Other thing to remember is that common cheap urinalysis kits have a pretty high false positive rate. They're shocking crap. Per manufacturer, they're not supposed to be sole determination. You're supposed to always double check a positive with gas chromatography–mass spectrometry. Which no employer ever does, the majority of them have no idea that said tests could even have a false positive. Mythbusters did an episode on it.

Concur that it's a real problem. And the law is sketchy on recreational marijuana and employment. We test on hiring and after an accident. If a forklift driver is found to have THC in their system and says they used legal recreational marijuana while well off-shift (ie only on Friday night and it is currently Tuesday), are they still considered impaired? There is no way they're actually chemically impaired. But testing positive means that they're legally under the influence.

Haven't heard any good suggestions yet, and we have a subsidiary in Colorado.

There's a clear case for reforming the law to be more like it is with alcohol.  Unless the test is about assessing a level of impairment, it's just another method of detecting rule-breakers...except they aren't necessarily breaking the rules anymore.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re:
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2016, 10:38:29 AM »
An employer can make it a precondition of employment that one not use  a recreational that is legal

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re:
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2016, 10:41:37 AM »
An employer can make it a precondition of employment that one not use  a recreational that is legal

We have similar case law in Washington: the state Supreme Court ruled that an employee could be discharged for using medicinal marijuana.  I am not aware of any sizable healthcare employers in the state that will not hire you or that will fire you if you are using marijuana, medicinal, recreational, or legal in Washington notwithstanding.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2016, 10:48:11 AM »

I know a lot of companies here in DC metro are laying down rules for employees who are either going to work in a location where recreational use is legal, or are visiting on their own time.

Most of them are saying --- don't do it. You do, and we will terminate you.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2016, 11:07:22 AM »

Government/Military being the biggest employer who does.  Dealing with a Soldier now, and it isn't legal in Oklahoma, that has popped hot 4-5 times in a row now.  OKNG isn't going to discharge him anytime soon because they want their numbers up, but I damn sure am going to do my best to have him thrown out of my section. :facepalm:
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2016, 11:42:22 AM »
I guess the NORMLs will need another of those laws that protects us from freedom.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smoker_Protection_Law
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2016, 11:59:28 AM »
There's a clear case for reforming the law to be more like it is with alcohol.  Unless the test is about assessing a level of impairment, it's just another method of detecting rule-breakers...except they aren't necessarily breaking the rules anymore.

What you're really clamoring for is another law to be inserted into the exchange of labor for currency between an employee and employer.  Moar lawz!!!
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Pb

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2016, 12:24:47 PM »
After I was hired for my previous job, I was told the five applicants before me failed the drug test.  Thanks potheads!   =D

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2016, 01:02:47 PM »
Where I work in the past we had temps and when we go to hire them on full time they couldn't pass the drug screen.  Now the temp agencies we use do drug screens and then we also do one if we go to hire full time.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2016, 02:28:37 PM »
since it looks like every state is going with legal pot, the obvious solution is to just stop disqualifying folks that  test positive for it.  I am sure that is the next step in the liberal game plan to finish of America.    :O

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2016, 02:51:08 PM »
since it looks like every state is going with legal pot, the obvious solution is to just stop disqualifying folks that  test positive for it.  I am sure that is the next step in the liberal game plan to finish of America.    :O

Yes, being able to get people off the welfare rolls and into productive jobs is obviously a liberal plan to destroy America.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2016, 04:19:58 PM »
Yes, being able to get people off the welfare rolls and into productive jobs is obviously a liberal plan to destroy America.

If you can afford weed without a job, what do you need a job (or welfare) for?

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
Re:
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2016, 04:41:09 PM »

Certainly.  But I view it as like looking to hire non-tobacco smokers in the '70s.  You should expect to pay a premium for such workers, in both wages and difficulty in finding workers that meet the additional qualification.

What you're really clamoring for is another law to be inserted into the exchange of labor for currency between an employee and employer.  Moar lawz!!!

I think he misstated, which is understandable given the mess.  I won't speak for him, but I believe that as a result of legalization we need to shift from tests that check to see if you've used in the last week or so, which was fine when it was completely illegal, to whether you're currently, or were recently, intoxicated with the stuff.  This will require science to figure out what metabolic compounds to look for, whether you can do it with a breath test like with alcohol, a piss test like current, or even a blood test.  For example, longer term tests exist for alcohol consumption, but they're not common because they're not normally necessary.

That being said, there are state and federal laws that dictate tests be done in certain professions and cases, such as when an accident occurs, which may need to be adjusted.

If you can afford weed without a job, what do you need a job (or welfare) for?

It's easier to bum tokes off a friend than a place to stay?  Current tests will pop positive if you use enough to have a recreational affect sometime in the last 2 weeks or so, if I remember right.  Up to a month even.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 07:08:54 PM by Firethorn »

• friends
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2016, 06:56:06 PM »
Certainly.  But I view it as like looking to hire non-tobacco smokers in the '70s.  You should expect to pay a premium for such workers, in both wages and difficulty in finding workers that meet the additional qualification.

I think he misstated, which is understandable given the mess.  I won't speak for him, but I believe that as a result of legalization we need to shift from tests that check to see if you've used in the last week or so, which was fine when it was completely legal, to whether you're currently, or were recently, intoxicated with the stuff.  This will require science to figure out what metabolic compounds to look for, whether you can do it with a breath test like with alcohol, a piss test like current, or even a blood test.  For example, longer term tests exist for alcohol consumption, but they're not common because they're not normally necessary.

That being said, state and federal laws that dictate tests be done, such as in the case of an accident, may need to be adjusted.

It's easier to bum tokes off a friend than a place to stay?  Current tests will pop positive if you use enough to have a recreational affect sometime in the last 2 weeks or so, if I remember right.  Up to a month even.

In real life I hired in the late 70's and disqualified cigarette smokers. Was not paying a premium wage and had no trouble finding folks. It was a feature not a bug
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2016, 07:27:28 PM »
In real life I hired in the late 70's and disqualified cigarette smokers. Was not paying a premium wage and had no trouble finding folks. It was a feature not a bug

Expect a harder time and more pay; be glad when you don't.  Probably depended on the field.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2016, 07:33:20 PM »
Smoke all you want if you work up front in the office. If you work with me around all the sharp, heavy, rolly, tipsy, flaming, turning, things that can kill us then please pass a test.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2016, 10:30:22 PM »
N/m
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 05:55:51 AM by Boomhauer »
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2016, 10:51:00 PM »
smoking pot (or doing alcohol, or having neck tattoos, or being against gay marriage, or anything else), is a personal choice that nobody should be FORCED not to do.

Employing people , is a choice made by a private entity. If you CHOOSE to smoke pot, an employer should be able to CHOOSE not to hire you.

Again, the market will correct. If you don't want pot smokers, and all the good, skilled workers looking for that position smoke pot, then you wont' be able to hire a qualified candidate.

I have nothing against legal pot, and indeed anything that one chooses to do with one's own body.

But I abhor the thought of the government being necessary to step in and force another private entity to endorse and accept your life choices.

Generally, if your response to a situation like this (be it pot, gay marriage, etc). is "we should have a law" or "we should change the law so that...", then the truth of the matter is the government is already too involved. An employer should be able to determine themselves if pot in someone's system (which, as stated earlier, doesn't necessarily mean that person is impaired given the length of time it stays in your system) is a deal-breaker for employment.
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2016, 11:04:55 PM »
Stop it with the hatespeech, Fitz.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2016, 11:13:33 PM »
Stop it with the hatespeech, Fitz.

Sorry. I guess the thought that "being able to do whatever you want with your own property , body, and interests as you please"  applied to employers as well as individuals.

I suppose the "market corrects" philosophy only applies to some. :-D
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2016, 03:34:55 AM »
I refuse to put my life at risk by working with goddamn druggies. If the company doesn't get rid of them then I will.

Lol. I had no idea you only worked with strict Mormons and others who abstain from alcohol, tobacco, and caffeine. And refined sugar, given that some research indicates it's more addictive than cocaine.

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2016, 03:38:19 AM »
Again, the market will correct. If you don't want pot smokers, and all the good, skilled workers looking for that position smoke pot, then you wont' be able to hire a qualified candidate.

The irony here being the many folks who come to these threads to whine about not being able to find anyone who can pass a drug test.

• friends
Re: Re: Try to find employees who can pass a drug test
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2016, 03:40:13 AM »
smoking pot (or doing alcohol, or having neck tattoos, or being against gay marriage, or anything else), is a personal choice that nobody should be FORCED not to do.

Employing people , is a choice made by a private entity. If you CHOOSE to smoke pot, an employer should be able to CHOOSE not to hire you.

I have nothing against legal pot, and indeed anything that one chooses to do with one's own body.

But I abhor the thought of the government being necessary to step in and force another private entity to endorse and accept your life choices.

Generally, if your response to a situation like this (be it pot, gay marriage, etc). is "we should have a law" or "we should change the law so that...", then the truth of the matter is the government is already too involved. An employer should be able to determine themselves if pot in someone's system (which, as stated earlier, doesn't necessarily mean that person is impaired given the length of time it stays in your system) is a deal-breaker for employment.
It's ironic a friend of mine owns a roofing company and he started breathalyzing and piss testing his people and when you pop positive he doesn't just suspend you for a day he suspends you for a week because guys will take a day off  it's just the cost of getting high.be
 to get a week off hurt em financially
his workers comp claims dropped by 60% first year True irony of this is the guy that owns the company gets high