Author Topic: Pepsi kills Tropicana's brand recognition...  (Read 10322 times)

Manedwolf

• friend
Pepsi kills Tropicana's brand recognition...
« on: October 27, 2008, 12:04:17 AM »
Way to go! Make the most-recognized juice look like...a discount brand, complete with stock photography! What'd you pay for that photo, guys, $200 off a royalty-free site?

I want the millions these people make...and I wouldn't even f up the branding like this. :P

http://www.underconsideration.com/brandnew/archives/pepsi_takes_the_tropic_out_of.php
« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 12:36:49 AM by Manedwolf »

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Re: Pepsi kills Tropicana's brand recognition...
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2008, 12:09:25 AM »
Meh. I prefer Florida's Natural.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2008, 12:12:23 AM »
I like Simply Orange and similar.
Look, tiny text!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2008, 12:26:15 AM »
Yeah, that's all kinds o' ugly.  Was Tropicana not selling or something? ???
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2008, 12:29:49 AM »
Feh.

Minute Maid for me and mine.

I spent too much time in the Florida orange groves to get very excited about the blending of all the juices and subsequent distribution to different brands.  Kinda like counting how many angels can dance on the head of a pin...
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2008, 12:34:24 AM »
Yeah, that's all kinds o' ugly.  Was Tropicana not selling or something? ???

Pepsi has gone rebranding crazy with all of their brands. The general consensus among myself and other people who do commercial design on other forums I'm on is that they're trying way too hard, and that the decisions are likely being made by execs who have no sense of design at all, or that someone's relative is somehow involved.

Because that box would result in a D grade in any of my design classes. Look at Sterling Brands' previous iconic design on that page, then look at the new one. I mean...what?

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2008, 12:35:15 AM »
Orange juice?  Sugar and acid.  If I'm gonna burn holes in my digestive tract, I'm at least gonna have some fun doing it.

I'll have a coffee.  You can keep yer OJ, whatever brand, and all the propaganda about vitamin C to go along with it.  :laugh:

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2008, 12:48:49 AM »
I guess pepsico voted for change.

*rimshot*

Parker Dean

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2008, 12:57:12 AM »
I was watching an author on CSPAN BookTV a few weeks ago, and the premise of his book was that brand management is really just screwing up the product for both the company and the consumer. He also felt that it would just be better to let a brand be itself rather than try to "manage" it, mostly because of the talentless hacks that involve themselves in the process. Sounded like a fun read, especially since he ripped on the Cussler/Kamprecos novels as a really bad example of brand management in literature. Unfortunately I can't remember the name at the moment, dammit.

Zed

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2008, 01:01:02 AM »
Sad thing is the Stuff is over $5.00 a gallon here.
Si vis pacem, para bellum. (If you would have peace, prepare for war.)

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2008, 02:25:18 AM »
"We bought it, so we're going to change it."

Scuttlebutt from my former company has it that NOW they are trying to reengineer the R&D overall into something like my end of it was before the merger...

Well, they basically pfired everyone who was running things the right way...

Blog under construction

LAK

• friend
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2008, 07:35:25 AM »
Orange juice?  Sugar and acid.  If I'm gonna burn holes in my digestive tract, I'm at least gonna have some fun doing it.
The full measure of pulp - which many or most have been conditioned to dislike from an early age - serves not only to neutralize the acid effect, it also contains the bioflavanoids which aid the absorbsion of vitamin C. Oh, and the sugar in an orange isn't a fraction as harmful to you as the refined variety.

nobody's_hero

• Fringe (Constitutionalist)
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2008, 08:32:49 AM »
I don't usually buy carton-O.J.

I go for the [almost] 1-gal tropicana jug with the new "easy pour" lid. Such a simple engineering design that allows you not to spill those first few drops because you poured it a little too slowly.

I wish the milk companies would follow suit. That just annoys me—as soon as I break the plastic seal and start pouring, it runs down the side of the milk jug and gets all over the counter.  :lol:

EDIT: Unfortunately, the easy pour design contains about seven ounces less than the original containers. Just looked that up  =(. Oh well, the prices we pay for convenience.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 08:38:31 AM by nobody's_hero »

zahc

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2008, 09:27:22 AM »
In order to design that easy-pour jug, they probably just removed those first few ounces that usually spill.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2008, 09:40:35 AM »
I buy the store brand not from concentrate orange juice. I only buy a brand name if it on sale cheaper than the store brand, which does happend from time to time. I really don't notice a taste different but I love the grove stand Tropicana because of all the pulp.

My wife hates pulp in her OJ so high pulp means the container is all mine.

-C

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2008, 10:17:46 AM »
I have tried to buy Kroger store brands before, but have been disappointed too many times.  I don't remember if they sell their own orange juice though.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2008, 10:18:51 AM »
I have tried to buy Kroger store brands before, but have been disappointed too many times.  I don't remember if they sell their own orange juice though.

Kroger store brands have an unpleasant history of being recalled for contamination.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2008, 10:21:45 AM »
Orange juice?  Sugar and acid.
Try the heavily-advertised Sunny Delight - sugar syrup (probably high fructose corn sweetener - where's the "barf" icon?) and a bit of orange flavor.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2008, 10:51:42 AM »
Guess I'm the only sugar-free Tang drinker.....  :cool:
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2008, 11:09:12 AM »
Orange juice?  Sugar and acid.  If I'm gonna burn holes in my digestive tract, I'm at least gonna have some fun doing it.

I'll have a coffee.  You can keep yer OJ, whatever brand, and all the propaganda about vitamin C to go along with it.  :laugh:

Thus saith the Michigan resident. 

Spend some time in Florida during the citrus harvest and you'll better understand what good OJ tastes like.

Here's a hint: frozen from concentrate OJ is to real OJ what American cheese is to aged cheddar.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2008, 01:15:57 PM »
jfruser, why do you hate America?

Are Krogers still around on the east coast?  I haven't seen one of those in decades.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2008, 01:22:22 PM »
Thus saith the Michigan resident. 

Spend some time in Florida during the citrus harvest and you'll better understand what good OJ tastes like.

Here's a hint: frozen from concentrate OJ is to real OJ what American cheese is to aged cheddar.

OrI could could just drink water, avoid the ugly container and spending the five bucks.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2008, 01:56:01 PM »
Are Krogers still around on the east coast?  I haven't seen one of those in decades.

Lots of them in SW Va.

Chris

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2008, 02:03:55 PM »

Yup, they're still around.  I liked the one I visited in Marietta, GA, while spending some government-paid vacation times at Robins AFB.  Evidently, so did Alton Brown, if you watch some of his Good Eats episodes.

That is, before he got busted for shoplifting there...

http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/34709834/m/793006009731?r=793006009731#793006009731

BTW, the whole high-fructose corn syrup phobia has about run its course, based on the latest television ads I saw the other night. Even the American Medical Association calls it an urban myth, and nutritionally identical to sucrose.

Maybe the food nazis can focus on truly evil stuff, like drinking Tab?  (blecch!)
« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 02:10:30 PM by Gewehr98 »
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2008, 02:32:27 PM »
FYI, the new Pepsi cans. GOING EURO. Well. Euro design as it was in the 90's. This is what you call "weak design". The font face is weak, nothing pops at all. It isn't understated nor minimalist (Apple does good minimalist branding, for reference), it is just weak. I have no idea why they thought reversed bookspine vertical lettering (HARD TO READ, GUYS!) would be a good idea on something whose shelf orientation will draw the eye to bold horizontal titling...which means the eye will go to competitors instead. Their designers are, to be blunt, crap. And they probably paid a lot for this.

I also find the bottle molding disturbing.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 02:43:55 PM by Manedwolf »