Author Topic: Wow... What the hell is up with this?  (Read 10295 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Wow... What the hell is up with this?
« on: February 18, 2009, 10:57:37 AM »
Man, this is just so wrong on so many levels, and even I have to admit that this one has racial implications all over it.

NEW YORK – The Rev. Al Sharpton says a New York Post cartoon that appears to link President Obama to a violent chimpanzee is "troubling at best."

The cartoon in Wednesday's Post by Sean Delonas shows a dead chimp and two police officers, one with a smoking gun.

The caption reads, "They'll have to find someone else to write the next stimulus bill."

The cartoon refers to Travis the chimp, who was shot to death by police in Stamford, Conn., on Monday after it mauled a friend of its owner.

It links the chimp to Obama, who signed his administration's economic stimulus plan on Tuesday.

Sharpton called the cartoon offensive and divisive.

The Post had no immediate comment.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Wow... What the hell is up with this?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 10:59:10 AM »
end times are nigh.... i am gonna go on record as saying sharpton may have a point. NEVER thought i would say that
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 10:59:42 AM »
Seems to me they are claiming the bill was so disjointed, only a non-thinking animal could have written it.

Since when did Obama write the thing he hasn't even read?

Ah, Sharpton, looking to be offended, succeeds once again.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 11:03:24 AM »
The cartoon does NOT link the chimp to Obama. It's saying that a chimp must have written the bill.

Sharpton is once more creating controversy by reading between nonexistent lines in a desperate attempt to draw attention to himself with manufactured outrage, as usual.

How many times did the liberals call Bush "chimpy" because of that open-mouth photo?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 11:06:53 AM »
No, I disagree. The inference, whether intended or not, is there. Calling a black a chimp is almost as bad as calling a black the nuclear N word. It's an association that really should not even be hinted at.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, 11:08:02 AM »
No, I disagree. The inference, whether intended or not, is there. Calling a black a chimp is almost as bad as calling a black the nuclear N word. It's an association that really should not even be hinted at.

Um.

Who is calling a black a chimp, other than Sharpton? He's the ONLY one who made the inference.

The bill was written by Pelosi and Reid.

Only chimp refs I've seen have been during the last eight years from liberals, for whom it's okay.

Remember these showing up on every freaking left-leaning blog?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2009, 11:10:18 AM »
INFERENCE.

As I said, it's an association that should not have been made at all.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2009, 11:11:07 AM »
INFERENCE.

Yeah, I agree there, but the cartoonist didn't. Sharpton did, that's what I mean.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2009, 11:12:17 AM »
INFERENCE.

Are they claiming they want Obama shot as well?

Either they are saying Obama is a crazed chimp that needs to be shot OR they were claiming the bill is so messed up, only a crazed chimp could have written it.

Which is it?
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2009, 11:20:00 AM »
I thought the "stimulus" bill originated from Capitol hill, not from the President's desk????

I get the mistaken inference, but I also think the cartoonist's intent is pretty clear:  The stimulus package is so retarded it must have been written by a chimp rather than a person.

Me, I think this is a mountain where there was a molehill.  Sharpton is pretty good at making those.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2009, 11:52:16 AM »
Clearly, that's a shot at Congress and not Obama.  I'm not sure how anyone could think otherwise, unless you're Al Sharpton and your sole purpose in life is to make everything out to be some kind of racist smear.  Then, yeah, I totally get it.
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2009, 12:10:17 PM »
Any humor sufficiently analyzed is indistinguishable from noise
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2009, 12:13:46 PM »
Any humor sufficiently analyzed is indistinguishable from noise

I hate it when reason shows up.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2009, 12:24:45 PM »
sorry, for right or wrong, this stimulus package has been associated with obama since day one. i am not a political correctness junkie, and wouldn't consider them shooting a chimp racist, but the heading really points this in the wrong direction.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2009, 12:28:49 PM »
sorry, for right or wrong, this stimulus package has been associated with obama since day one. i am not a political correctness junkie, and wouldn't consider them shooting a chimp racist, but the heading really points this in the wrong direction.

All political cartoons shall be done in the form of nonrepresentational flowcharts with dialogue, until such time as someone associates rectangles with an insult.

Rudy Kohn

« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2009, 12:34:52 PM »
The use of rectangles is discrimination against other quadrilaterals.  I am hereby lodging a complaint on behalf of the Trapezoid, Rhombus, and Parallelogram (not of rectangular descent) Anti-Defamation League.  =D

HankB

• friend
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2009, 01:04:04 PM »
All political cartoons shall be done in the form of nonrepresentational flowcharts with dialogue, until such time as someone associates rectangles with an insult.
Squares are a subset of rectangles, and the term "square" has some insulting connotations. ("Hey, man, that guy is a real square, man . . . ")

(didn't take long, did it?  :laugh: )
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2009, 01:09:28 PM »
If the chimp is meant to be a stand-in for Obama, that is by no means clear.  I kinda like the idea that the stimulus bill is like something written by a mad chimp, but the joke doesn't exactly leap off the page. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2009, 01:21:35 PM »
Notwithstanding the artist's intent for the chimp figure, I find the whole thing to be in very poor taste given the context.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2009, 01:40:02 PM »
Maybe he wrote the cartoon to generate discourse such as seen in this thread?  ;)
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2009, 04:10:29 PM »
Maybe he should have let the chimp draw the cartoon....or write Al Sharpton's speeches.....  ;/
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

crt360

• friend
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2009, 07:49:15 PM »
I didn't know there was an association, until I read this.  I still don't see it.  So is Rev. Al troubled just because he associates the current president, who happens to be part black, with a chimp, or is it because the chimp he is associating with the president is being shot dead by two white cops?
For entertainment purposes only.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2009, 08:11:08 PM »
Am I the only one who is most struck by the fact that Rev. Al is giving the NY Post a pass on the race card thing?  Instead of going full-bore with the race card, Rev. Al says the NY Post ought to 'splain itself.

Apparently it is not yet OK to trash the media that supported Obama, even when they seem to firmly step on their own dick.

Did everybody miss that, or did you all pass over that to do the rightous indignation stuff?

stay safe.

skidmark
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2009, 08:16:32 PM »
I don't think many here are paying attention to Sharpton.  We're responding to the cartoon. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2009, 08:19:10 PM »
I didn't know there was an association, until I read this.  I still don't see it.  So is Rev. Al troubled just because he associates the current president, who happens to be part black, with a chimp, or is it because the chimp he is associating with the president is being shot dead by two white cops?

Which one will generate more controversy and compel you to donate to him?