Author Topic: IRS getting shotguns  (Read 10267 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
IRS getting shotguns
« on: February 03, 2010, 10:11:57 AM »
https://www.fbo.gov/index?s=opportunity&mode=form&id=8d3b076bd4de14bbda5aba699e80621d&tab=core&_cview=1&cck=1&au=&ck=

Looks like they're gearing up for something.

How often do you hear about IRS agents involved in a raid?  Sure, you hear about DEA/ATF/FBI... but IRS agents?

This is PAPER that they chase.  Not dangerous criminals.  Think about the IRS's mission statement.

Srsly... shotguns?

I wonder how many no-knock warrants will come with these 14" short-barreled ninja-shotguns.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Re: IRS getting shotguns
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 10:17:52 AM »
The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) intends to purchase sixty Remington Model 870 Police RAMAC #24587 12 gauge pump-action shotguns for the Criminal Investigation Division. The Remington parkerized shotguns, with fourteen inch barrel, modified choke, Wilson Combat Ghost Ring rear sight and XS4 Contour Bead front sight, Knoxx Reduced Recoil Adjustable Stock, and Speedfeed ribbed black forend, are designated as the only shotguns authorized for IRS duty based on compatibility with IRS existing shotgun inventory, certified armorer and combat training and protocol, maintenance, and parts.

Uh...   
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

PTK

• friends
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 10:32:17 AM »
My mother worked for a while as an IRS enforcement agent; there were issues with other employees along the lines of "Hi! I'm __________ from the IRS, here on the scheduled visit to remind you that your business owes us $x0,000. You MUST make a payment right now or we're seizing assets" resulting in the IRS employee taking fire from the business. They now knock on the door with a handgun on their hip and a shotgun in the car.

It will only get worse as the economy tanking catches up with the taxes due.

"Kinder, gentler IRS" my ass. =|
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 10:36:22 AM »

Oleg has this covered already. :D
When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 10:45:37 AM »
Every alphabet soup agency has SWAT teams. Even the Department of Agriculture.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2010, 10:45:46 AM »
My mother worked for a while as an IRS enforcement agent; there were issues with other employees along the lines of "Hi! I'm __________ from the IRS, here on the scheduled visit to remind you that your business owes us $x0,000. You MUST make a payment right now or we're seizing assets" resulting in the IRS employee taking fire from the business. They now knock on the door with a handgun on their hip and a shotgun in the car.

It will only get worse as the economy tanking catches up with the taxes due.

"Kinder, gentler IRS" my ass. =|

The thing is...

If a business doesn't turn a profit, then it doesn't owe taxes.

If times are hard for a business, their tax liability will be less.  If times are good for a business, then they have the money in the bank to pay their taxes.  Showing up at the business and getting into a gunfight is a poor second to freezing bank accounts and getting a court order to seize $x0,000 from the funds.

They're IRS agents.  Accountants.  They aren't FBI-HRT or a DEA strike team.  Their purpose showing up is assumed compliance and auditing, perhaps property liquidation if no greenbacks are forthcoming.

I "get" handguns.  Folks don't like the IRS, and a handgun lets an IRS agent retreat hopefully.  

Short-barreled shotguns are for aggressive surprise incursions.  IRS agents don't exactly roll in a police cruiser with the Remington stored vertically between the driver and passenger consoles.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2010, 10:51:39 AM »
Every alphabet soup agency has SWAT teams. Even the Department of Agriculture.

Yeah, and they all have M4's typically.

Short-barreled shotguns have less capacity and are slower to reload.  This bid request is for 60 of them.  I seriously doubt the IRS has 60 SWAT enforcement agents.  Heck, I'd be surprised if the FBI had 100 SWAT/HRT agents.  The IRS probably has 1 team, total, that they fly to wherever they might be needed.  If they need more, they do an interagency operation with local PD or the FBI.

Something tells me these shotguns are for "beat" IRS agents, to augment an unknown existing supply.

The idea of an IRS desk jockey with a shotgun just creeps me out.
--Lysander Spooner

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2010, 11:05:56 AM »
Heck, I'd be surprised if the FBI had 100 SWAT/HRT agents.

In the FBI, SWAT and HRT are 2 different things.  Every Field Office has their own SWAT team.  HRT has a couple teams.  100 is on the low side.
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2010, 11:43:15 AM »
Every FBI office?

The Lafayette, Indiana field office has all of two agents (who are probably real good at Tetris). =D

*Meanwhile, in downtown Lafayette, near El Tejon's office . . .*

"O.K., I'm Team Leader and you're Assistant Team Leader."
"No!  Last week I was assistant; I want to be Team Leader now!"
"Fine, rock, paper, scissors then?"
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2010, 12:35:50 PM »
The thing is...

If a business doesn't turn a profit, then it doesn't owe taxes.

Sure they do.  They have to send in their income tax withholdings.  When the payroll account is getting near empty and your choice is to either stop paying your employees their take home pay or pay the IRS the IRS gets the shaft.  You an stave them off for a few months before it becomes an issue.  Employees are another matter; they'll quit.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2010, 12:54:52 PM »
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2010, 01:46:46 PM »
{ placeholder: Some witty comment about meat and pudding goes here. }
I promise not to duck.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2010, 01:54:42 PM »
Revdisk comment about helicopter color being wrong in 3, 2, 1...
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2010, 02:10:22 PM »
"Dear IRS,

instead of sending me a refund check, you can just send me one of those new 870's. actually, because i am such a good citizen, you can send me both so i can buy shells to go with my new shotgun.
thank you,"

=D
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2010, 02:35:57 PM »
Rush just mentioned it. ;)

"It won't be long until they bring the military in to do this."
--Lysander Spooner

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2010, 03:17:31 PM »
Well, they're going to have to do something about all the folks bartering, home canning, and raising chickens.

:O
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2010, 04:08:30 PM »
As previously stated, this isn't the first time the IRS has updated its weapons.  Old news.   [tinfoil]
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2010, 04:25:54 PM »
Well, they're going to have to do something about all the folks bartering, home canning, and raising chickens.

:O

I know of upper middle class families, two incomes & all, raising chickens in their back yards & such.  What once was hip urban agriculture snobbery has become mainstream as folk look into the economic future and see rolls of snake eyes.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2010, 05:45:41 PM »
To Better Serve Service You, Right?
Fixed it.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Tim L

• friend
    • TDLITWILLER
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2010, 06:29:59 PM »
Every FBI office?

"O.K., I'm Team Leader and you're Assistant Team Leader."
"No!  Last week I was assistant; I want to be Team Leader now!"
"Fine, rock, paper, scissors then?"

They need a third person to be the team!  :P

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2010, 09:32:38 PM »
When we get a house, I'm very seriously looking into raising meat rabbits.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2010, 09:46:32 PM »
When we get a house, I'm very seriously looking into raising meat rabbits.

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2010, 10:10:26 PM »
Feeding that one bacon I see. =D

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2010, 12:53:36 AM »
Every FBI office?

The Lafayette, Indiana field office has all of two agents (who are probably real good at Tetris). =D

Every FIELD office, of which there are roughly 50.  The smaller Resident Agent offices (see above) don't have their own teams.  Except for possibly the new NoVA RA office in Bristow.  It's much larger than most.
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2010, 09:29:04 AM »
When I was in law school, I did an internship with the U.S. Attorney's office in Dayton, Ohio.  I became friends with an IRS Investigator, who was basically a graduate of FLETC assigned to the IRS.  He had full arrest powers, and investigated tax related issues.  He carried a Sig 226, if I recall.  Anyways, Dayton had a fairly small federal law enforcement community.  Half a dozen or so FBI agents, similar number of Marshals, maybe a few more between DEA, IRS, etc.  They trained together, and would often back each other up when serving warrants, etc.  It was interesting to see them work together, especially after reading about how their sueriors fight among themselves in D.C. so often.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark