Author Topic: Opinions on single-action revolver  (Read 10342 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Opinions on single-action revolver
« on: January 07, 2011, 08:56:56 AM »
I need a new gun like I need another hole in my head, but my collection of 28 long guns/hand guns is missing something: a single-action revolver.  I am thinking that a nice stainless SA revolver may be just the ticket. 

Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations?  The Taurus Gaucho got some good press, but apparently is no longer made.  I have been giving the Ruger Vaquero a long look. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Opinions on single-action revolver
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 09:09:00 AM »
I have a Vaquero in 45LC. I have the ~4 3/4" barrel and I find the gun very ergonomic and fun to shoot. I got it over ten years ago, and a quick check of the Ruger site doesn't show any of the new ones looking like mine. I have the case-hardened coloring on the cylinder and wooden grips.

I also have a Super Blackhawk that I got when I was a 19 year old kid who couldn't decide if he wanted to emulate Clint Eastwood as Dirty Harry or the man with no name. It's a very well made revolver, but after the initial 44mag-mania wore off, I began to find it and its 7 1/2" barrel a bit unwieldy. Doesn't sit in the hand as well as the vaquero either.

Edite: Case hardened look is on the frame, not cylinder. duh.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 10:44:39 AM by Ben »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 09:18:36 AM »
A friend wants a Ruger single action they have that has cylinders for 45LC and 45ACP.  Not sure how well it performs, but the model looks nice.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 09:40:47 AM »
The new stainless Ruger Blackhawks in 44special are nice.  If I were going to buy a SA revolver it would probably be a Bisley model and either 44mag or 44special. 

Chris

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 09:42:29 AM »
BTW, there is also a 44special version of the Vaquero IIRC.

Chris

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, 09:47:05 AM »
My votes go to either a Ruger Vaquero in .44 special, or a USFA Rodeo in .45 Colt.

The Taurus Gaucho got some good press

So does The Judge, whenever Taurus greases the right palms at the gun rags.  The Gaucho was short-lived because of quality problems, and SASS shooters are pretty hard on their gear.

If you don't want to spend USFA/Colt prices and Ruger is your top price point, then look into the Beretta Stampedes or the Cimarron/Uberti stuff.  But steer clear of the Guano Gaucho.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2011, 09:54:47 AM »
Mighty tempting...

Chris

HankB

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2011, 09:56:04 AM »
If I were buying a single action revolver, it would almost certainly be something from Freedom Arms. I've had a chance to handle and shoot some of their guns, and was very impressed with accuracy and workmanship . . . but the high bore line and handle configuration of SA revolvers makes them considerably less comfortable to shoot in any serious caliber than a DA revolver.

Hmmm . . . there's also someone making reproductions of the Colt SAA that are supposedly better than anything Colt ever made, in terms of both materials and workmanship . . . but I don't remember the manufacturer. (Maybe USFA?) If I really needed a single action, I'd look into one of these for a "non-Magnum" option.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2011, 09:58:20 AM »
Freedom Arms are quite nice, but they're pricey.  A good compromise between them and Ruger is Magnum Research's BFR.  They're worth a look.  If you shop around, you can get a BFR for $500-$900.  They also go big bore with the 475L, 500AE, 500S&W Magnum, etc. 

Chris

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2011, 10:00:00 AM »
There's some good general SA info here: http://singleactions.proboards.com/index.cgi

Chris

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2011, 11:23:12 AM »
I have one of the Uberti's in 4 3/4 .45 Colt. I tore it down and did a little smoothing and changed out the springs. It is a nice shooting revolver. A ton of fun with full black powder loads. And I think I only have about $400-$450 in it including tax and a spring set.

jim

Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2011, 11:26:05 AM »
I know they're expensive, but I've had a couple of Colt SAA's (one first generation, and one second circa 1956). Absolute works of art.

Ben, the Colts have case hardening on the frame, not the cylinder. Why the "duh"?

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2011, 11:38:37 AM »
I guess it all depends on what you want.

For a working gun, a Ruger Blackhawk in .44 magnum would probably be best.  (modern gun in modern caliber)

The Vaquero has fixed sights (groove in top strap) and the Blackhawk adjustable sights.

Or you could just get a Single Six if you just want to plink  ???
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2011, 12:05:19 PM »
On revolvers, I have standardized calibers on .22 LR and .38 and .357, since I have Lee dies for that caliber.  So I have a bias towards finding something in .357.  Since I already have around six or so Ruger revolvers, they were my first thought in terms of a single-action.  The Blackhawk sounds nice......

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2011, 12:42:38 PM »
Blackhawk .357 is my daily carry  =)

OTOH, I sometime think I should have held out for a New Vaquero in stainless...  =|
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2011, 01:58:13 PM »
Ben, the Colts have case hardening on the frame, not the cylinder. Why the "duh"?

The "duh" was because I hadn't had my second cup of coffee yet and said the reverse. :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2011, 02:45:44 PM »
My choice would be either another Vaquero or a Blackhawk but I'd look for one of the old models. Ruger trimed some heft off of the Vaqueros a few years ago to make them more "Colt Sized" IMHO they did a major disservice to a darned good revolver.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2011, 03:00:48 PM »
My choice would be either another Vaquero or a Blackhawk but I'd look for one of the old models. Ruger trimed some heft off of the Vaqueros a few years ago to make them more "Colt Sized" IMHO they did a major disservice to a darned good revolver.

Don't need all that heft for a .357.  Even the New Vaquero is way over built for that caliber.

For the .45 the bigger frame can be nice.  I have an Old Vaquero that is my "bear gun"  =)

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2011, 04:06:37 PM »
Mighty tempting...

Chris

That.

Right there.

Keep the bbl 5" or less.
7-11 was a part time job.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2011, 04:51:11 PM »
I need a new gun like I need another hole in my head, but my collection of 28 long guns/hand guns is missing something: a single-action revolver.  I am thinking that a nice stainless SA revolver may be just the ticket. 

Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations?  The Taurus Gaucho got some good press, but apparently is no longer made.  I have been giving the Ruger Vaquero a long look. 

I've seen A-Merc ammo get good press too.  :facepalm:

I have a Taurus Gaucho.  There's a reason they don't make them anymore; they were POS's.  (very pretty POS's)  On mine, the firing pin was not fitted, and the base pin was not hardened (at all.)  Those two things caused all kinds of weird problems.  I've taken care of both of them and it didn't cost all that much, but I'm afraid the sear might also not be hardened and the gun has a very light trigger.

"It's good, though..."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2011, 04:52:37 PM »
On revolvers, I have standardized calibers on .22 LR and .38 and .357, since I have Lee dies for that caliber.  So I have a bias towards finding something in .357.  Since I already have around six or so Ruger revolvers, they were my first thought in terms of a single-action.  The Blackhawk sounds nice......

I have a stainless New Blackhawk in .357.  It's a great gun, and a lot of fun to shoot. Mine is a little long in the barrel, but has sentimental value.  This:

Is a fine revolver.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2011, 05:08:10 PM »
^^^^ This makes my heart go pitter-pat.  A beauty.  I have to check and see if they come in the 4.5" barrel size.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2011, 05:11:51 PM »
^^^^ This makes my heart go pitter-pat.  A beauty.  I have to check and see if they come in the 4.5" barrel size.

4.62" close enough?

http://www.ruger.com/products/newModelBlackhawkStainless/models.html

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2011, 05:15:41 PM »
For the life of me, all I could remember was the 5.5 and 6.5. A friend of mine has the .44 Mag Super Blackhawk with the 10.5 barrel, and it is a beast.  It is heavy enough that if feels as if it should be crew-served.  But boy, that barrel length and weight damp down the recoil right nice.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2011, 05:42:42 PM »
For the life of me, all I could remember was the 5.5 and 6.5. A friend of mine has the .44 Mag Super Blackhawk with the 10.5 barrel, and it is a beast.  It is heavy enough that if feels as if it should be crew-served.  But boy, that barrel length and weight damp down the recoil right nice.
I have a 7.5" Ruger Bisley like that in .45 Colt.  Unfluted cylinder, which adds even more to the weight.  It's so heavy, it's hard to load it hot enough to hurt my hand.  =D
"It's good, though..."