Author Topic: Opinions on single-action revolver  (Read 10341 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Opinions on single-action revolver
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2011, 05:59:34 PM »
If you're only going to have ONE SA revolver, IMHO it should be either a Colt SAA or a S&W break-top. Both companies are making current models of their quintessential "old west" revolvers, so you don't have to spring for a collectible.

'Course, having said that, I guess I have to confess to owning a couple of Ruger Blackhawks and a Uberti SAA clone, but no Colt. "Do as I say and not as I do."
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

red headed stranger

• friend
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2011, 06:56:13 PM »
I have been a big fan of the Blackhawks.  Even though they are not as traditional looking as the Peacemaker and peacemaker clones, I like the adjustable sights. 

Right now CDNN still has some of the Anniversary Blackhawks in .44 mag for $369.  (They had the .357 mag version for the same price for quite a while, but they aren't' showing them in their catalog anymore.)  That is a tremendous value. 
Those who learn from history are doomed to watch others repeat it

red headed stranger

• friend
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2011, 06:58:29 PM »
A friend wants a Ruger single action they have that has cylinders for 45LC and 45ACP.  Not sure how well it performs, but the model looks nice.

I've got that model, and it works great for me.  It is fun to just throw in my range bag with my 1911 and not have to worry about .45LC ammo. 

Those who learn from history are doomed to watch others repeat it

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2011, 07:39:31 PM »
I have a stainless Taurus Gaucho. No problems, but I don't shoot it very much. I got just so I had a SA revolver. Seemed somehow wrong not to own one.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2011, 10:13:53 AM »
OK, I am going to start going to the shows and keeping an eye out for a stainless New Blackhawk.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2011, 10:27:16 AM »
A three screw Ruger Single Six (22-22mag) found me a few years ago.
I LOVE that gun.

I'd go Ruger (or Colt's, I suppose) on a SA big bore.
7-11 was a part time job.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2011, 11:31:25 AM »
OK, I am going to start going to the shows and keeping an eye out for a stainless New Blackhawk.

I used to hate stainless, but every carry gun I've had has lost most of the blue off the cylinder within a year. :(

The shortest barrel is something like 4 5/8" which is even with the end of the ejector tube.  Back in the day these were "gunfighter models."  This is what my .357 BH has and I like that length fine for everyday use.

I've got an old Vaq .45 in 5.5" and honestly I'm not sure I like that length now.  If I had it to do over I think I would go with either the gunfighter version or the traditional original 7.5".  I thought the 5.5" was a good compromise, but some compromises are the worst of both extremes.

Just keep in mind the .357 BH is way overbuilt (being on a .44 mag frame) but the new Vaquero somewhat less so.

I wish I could afford a dozen or so Ruger SA's so I could try out all the combinations :)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2011, 11:58:31 AM »
Because I so often carry whilst doing outdoor activities in the very wet part of the Pacific NW, I prefer corrosion-resistant finishes whenever I can get them. This is not to say that I don't have some beautifully blued-handguns, but especially for a working gun, I really like stainless.  And I am not opposed to the typical over-built Ruger revolver, having several of them already.  If worst comes to worst, they do make a handy blunt object.

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2011, 11:59:39 AM »
At least look at Bowen Classic Arms.
Gee, I'd love to see your data!

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2011, 12:06:26 PM »
Thread drift, but in going to the Ruger site, I see the new LC9 has been announced.  Hmm.  Put a stainless slide on it, and I will look at that, too.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2011, 12:47:33 PM »
+1 on the medium-frame Blackhawk/Vaquero sixguns....they'll outlast you......

But, for a single-action .22lr for plinking, I'd lean more toward the Bearcats. They're a lot lighter and handier than the Single-Sixes for woods-wandering. One of my "one-of-these-days" projects will be to get a blued Bearcat and then obtain a stainless Bearcat cylinder to get bored out to .22Mag and fitted.

Be sure to post pics of your new purchase....

P.S.:  The LC9 is impressing the heck out of me, too. Now I'll have to decide which of my compact 9's to trade for it.....the XDsc or the Firestar....  =|
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2011, 01:08:09 PM »
Thread drift, but in going to the Ruger site, I see the new LC9 has been announced.  Hmm.  Put a stainless slide on it, and I will look at that, too.
Even given the internal key lock, mag disconnect and a manual safety on a long and heavy DAO trigger?
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2011, 01:17:32 PM »
But, for a single-action .22lr for plinking, I'd lean more toward the Bearcats. They're a lot lighter and handier than the Single-Sixes for woods-wandering. One of my "one-of-these-days" projects will be to get a blued Bearcat and then obtain a stainless Bearcat cylinder to get bored out to .22Mag and fitted.

I prefer the Bearcat over the Single Six as well.  I've owned the SS and currently own a Bearcat.  After I finish some projects around the house, I'm going to send mine out to have the etching removed from the cylinder, cylinder fluted, j-frame adjustable sights installed, and a trigger job.  I already have the quote, about $450 for everything.  I also have stag grips on the way from Sack Peterson.

Kind of like this (but in 22lr, not mag):

Chris
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 01:24:00 PM by mtnbkr »

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2011, 01:35:46 PM »
missing something: a single-action revolver

Actually, now that I think about it more - you are missing several single-action revolvers.

Whatever made you think that you can stop with just one...?   :lol:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2011, 03:59:19 PM »
For plinking, I have one of the hard-to-find Ruger SP-101s in .22 LR, with the four inch heavy barrel.  If Ruger was smart, they would bring that back.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2011, 04:24:35 PM »
For plinking, I have one of the hard-to-find Ruger SP-101s in .22 LR, with the four inch heavy barrel.  If Ruger was smart, they would bring that back.

Or release a 3-4" LCR in 22lr.

I don't know why Ruger is willing to chase recreational shooters with their SA guns but only develops DA guns for "serious business".

Chris

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2011, 04:33:04 PM »
Even given the internal key lock, mag disconnect and a manual safety on a long and heavy DAO trigger?

I have several pistols already with exactly that configuration, so it is familiar to me.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2011, 07:57:19 PM »
Only single actions I'm familiar with and have shot a lot are Rugers- .357 blackhawk, Old model single six, and Bearcat. First two belong to my dad, the Bearcat belongs to me. I loved all three. And I agree with others, the Bearcat beats the pants off a single six for plinking, its tiny but still seems to fit perfectly in my big mitts. I'm really itching for a Super Blackhawk in .44 magnum- I'm really interested in getting a carbine/revolver combo in that chambering.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

seeker_two

• friend
« Reply #43 on: January 09, 2011, 08:45:36 AM »
Or release a 3-4" LCR in 22lr.

I'm all for that.....add a fiber-optic front sight/adjustable rear like the MkIII Hunter, and you've got a winner and a half....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #44 on: January 09, 2011, 07:07:37 PM »

Bad idea.

Research the bullet diameters for .22LR and .22 WMR before commencing.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #45 on: January 09, 2011, 09:42:27 PM »
Bad idea.

22WMR conversions are fairly common (in groups that do that sort of thing).  The picture I posted above is a 22wmr conversion.

Chris

HankB

• friend
« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2011, 09:57:16 AM »
Bad idea.

I had a Ruger Super Single Six with both .22LR and .22 Mag cylinders. It shot well with both.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2011, 10:32:13 AM »
I had a Ruger Super Single Six with both .22LR and .22 Mag cylinders. It shot well with both.

The SS barrel was sized for 22wmr (.224).  22lr will "bump up" and usually fill the bore well enough to be accurate.

The Bearcat has the .222 barrel for 22lr.  I don't know if the conversion jobs involve a barrel reaming or if it "just works".

Chris

seeker_two

• friend
« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2011, 10:56:59 PM »
IIRC, Ruger uses the same rifiling cutter for the Bearcat and Single-Six Convertable barrels. This makes it a non-issue.

Ruger used to do a convertable Bearcat, but then stopped. Don't know why...never heard of any issues....

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #49 on: January 10, 2011, 11:08:55 PM »
IIRC, Ruger uses the same rifiling cutter for the Bearcat and Single-Six Convertable barrels. This makes it a non-issue.

I've heard both ways, but according to Iowegan on one of the Ruger forums, they don't.

Ruger used to do a convertable Bearcat, but then stopped. Don't know why...never heard of any issues....

IIRC, they were concerned with wear issues or something.  So few of the convertible ones got out, and they're such collector's items today, I doubt any of them got shot enough with 22wmr for anyone in the public to find out.

The bore difference is pretty danged small though.  .222 vs .224.  You see the same level of difference between bore diameter and bullet diameter in typical chambers.  I shoot .430 and .431 diameter bullets in my .429" 44mag barrels.  I've shot .358" bullets through my .357 barrels.  The higher pressure of the 22wmr might be a factor in long term wear and tear, but I doubt it'll be a short term issue wrt safety in any properly built gun.

Chris