Author Topic: A/C frequency?  (Read 10319 times)

birdman

• friend
Re: A/C frequency?
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2011, 08:37:36 AM »
All computer power supplies are capable of accepting frequencies of 50,60, and variations thereof, so I wouldn't worry.  They all transform it down to a lower voltage, rectify, and pass through multiple high frequency switching regulators, so really, it doesn't matter what is put in, unless it's a really old system.  The same is not true for some power bricks (ESP. Older ones).

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2011, 07:29:21 PM »
well, we're finding that the plug in digital clock gains time now. Resulting assumption is the gen frequency is higher than 60, Doesn't seem to affect anything else. I'm most worried about smoking the well pump but it seems to be working just fine.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2011, 08:15:37 AM »
Hm!  Using the plug-in digital clock to check frequency is a good idea!  I gotta remember that one.

You can even calculate the actual frequency from the time gained or lost and the length of time of the test period....

Not baaaaaad.

Terry, 230RN

« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 08:37:21 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2011, 08:33:55 AM »
It also sputters a bit. I figure it's running rich. I call my local small engine repair place. Won't work on colemans, cant get parts for them. I said, well can't you just take it, change the oil and tune it up? "Nope, because that always leads to something else and I don't want to deal with it." Sweeeet,,,

I hereby rescind my plug for Coleman Generators.   =D

I'mn going to guess the clock is gaining 10 minutes in about 6 hours. Pretty funny though. Wifey has been out the door 10-15 minutes early all week.  I think I splained ot to her 3 times before she finally caught on. Big test is to see if she starts bitchin' about the clock being fast again.  [popcorn]

:laugh:
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 08:37:22 AM by 280plus »

280plus

• friend
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2011, 08:41:28 AM »
Dear God, you know I rarely ask you for anything. Ok, the occasional slow poke in front of me to turn so I can get to where the hell I'm going in a reasonable amount of time but that's about it. So just this one time could you PLEASE get me friggin power back today.  Thank you! :angel:

God does read APS right?  ;)

280plus

• friend
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2011, 04:04:40 PM »
Prolly should have left "hell" and "friggin out of the prayer. Estimated power back on time. Tuesday 6 PM.

[barf]

:lol:

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2011, 05:15:07 PM »
"I'n going to guess the clock is gaining 10 minutes in about 6 hours."

21600 seconds = 6 hours

600 seconds fast

21600 + 600 = 22200 seconds measured time.

(22200 seconds measured / 21600 actual seconds)  X 60  = ~61.666 Hz.

Most devices should tolerate that kind of difference.

Must be the "666" screwing things up for you.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 05:21:16 PM by 230RN »

280plus

• friend
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2011, 05:21:44 PM »
Would you believe, the parameter for the error code is +/- 1.5  ;/

just the way my lucj has been going. Just traded in 40,000 bonus points on my CC for $400 worth of gas cards, Thought I'd get a month or so out of them for the truck. I'm down to $150 left buying gas for the gen. They will run out before Sept 6.  No way to recover this either. Total loss. [barf]

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2011, 05:28:23 PM »
On the plus side, that's $400 you didn't have to actually spend out of your regular budget...  At least you had that extra $400 instead of trying to squeeze it out of your regular budget.
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

280plus

• friend
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2011, 05:37:57 PM »
yes, I know, but I can still be pissed about it.  I catch a break on gas for a change and it's snatched right away from me. Any idea how long it takes to accumulate 40,000 bonus points? :mad:

280plus

• friend
« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2011, 05:43:37 PM »
FYI, they seem to think if I remove all the inductive loads and then load it with about 1000W of resistive load it might work. I spose I should test this. the other option is to buy a Honda "Inverter Technology" generator as it is supposed to put out very clean power. 1000W would be just right for ther boilr only. $799. I only paid $500 for the 5000w coleman.  :facepalm:

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2011, 07:20:54 PM »
yes, I know, but I can still be pissed about it.  I catch a break on gas for a change and it's snatched right away from me. Any idea how long it takes to accumulate 40,000 bonus points? :mad:

Oh, I know.  Just trying to get you to look at it from the bright side....  :P
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2011, 08:09:26 PM »
Can you get to the governor?  Slow the engine down slightly and the frequency will drop.  (it'll last longer too)  Of course it helps to have a frequency counter  :facepalm:  Iif you have a Kill-a-watt, it will do it.
"It's good, though..."

280plus

• friend
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2011, 08:37:25 PM »
Oh, I know.  Just trying to get you to look at it from the bright side....  :P
Bright side?   :P

I laugh as i sit here eating my 8 yo mre M&Ms thinking they taste ok but then again maybe a little odd.  =D

i don't know how you poor bastards that had to eat those things actually ate those things. I'm beginning to understand the hot sauce story. Could you guys send me hot sauce, twizzlers and cigars please?

280plus

• friend
« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2011, 08:38:17 PM »
Can you get to the governor?  Slow the engine down slightly and the frequency will drop.  (it'll last longer too)  Of course it helps to have a frequency counter  :facepalm:  Iif you have a Kill-a-watt, it will do it.
I'll fiddle with the thing tomorrow and see if I cant get it to work.

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2011, 09:01:49 PM »
Put a UPS between the gen and the unit. This should clean up the wave and let it run.

jim
After I got a gen hooked up here my ups would just stay on battery. Something about the power it did not like.
Not sure what it was because the voltage was good. I've seen mine correct a 100  volt brown out without switching to battery.
FWI its an old best ferups 1.2kw I believe.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

280plus

• friend
« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2011, 09:02:54 PM »
What's a UPS?

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2011, 09:19:49 PM »
well, we're finding that the plug in digital clock gains time now. Resulting assumption is the gen frequency is higher than 60, Doesn't seem to affect anything else. I'm most worried about smoking the well pump but it seems to be working just fine.

I was just going to suggest finding the loudest-humming old analog clock at the flea market or Goodwill store, syncing it with your watch, and waiting an hour to see how much difference there is.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #43 on: September 02, 2011, 07:29:45 AM »
Electrical Nirvana has been achieved. After sleeping on it I woke up realizing I have this electric griddle which turns out to draw 1600 watts. So I unplugged all the motor circuits, plugged in the griddle and like magic the boiler fired and stayed running. So I was right, there IS a little magic box that fixes things, it's just in the shape of a griddle. Bonus, you can cook on it too. Two birds one stone.  :cool:

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #44 on: September 02, 2011, 09:05:39 AM »
Electrical Nirvana has been achieved. After sleeping on it I woke up realizing I have this electric griddle which turns out to draw 1600 watts. So I unplugged all the motor circuits, plugged in the griddle and like magic the boiler fired and stayed running. So I was right, there IS a little magic box that fixes things, it's just in the shape of a griddle. Bonus, you can cook on it too. Two birds one stone.  :cool:
Didn't I mention a waffle iron 20+ posts ago?  I thought I did...

What happens when you unplug it [the griddle]?  Or it reaches full temperature and cycles off?  Does the boiler keep working?
"It's good, though..."

280plus

• friend
« Reply #45 on: September 02, 2011, 09:35:12 AM »
Why yes you did but when I was reading that and the previous about the inductive load I got wiring it in series stuck in my head and I wasn't gonna be trying that. Thankfully. lol

I fergitted that to put a waffle iron in parallel with the generator you have to,,,plug it in.  :facepalm:

Just because the internet says my IQ is 131 that doesn't mean I can't be stupid when I want to. :laugh:

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #46 on: September 02, 2011, 03:27:48 PM »
I was just going to suggest finding the loudest-humming old analog clock at the flea market or Goodwill store, syncing it with your watch, and waiting an hour to see how much difference there is.

Did that already.  See post 31.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #47 on: September 02, 2011, 07:22:29 PM »
What's a UPS?

Uninterruptable Power Supply -- it's a computer thingie for people who don't like to lose data when the power grid crashes. (Like in a hurricane.)
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

280plus

• friend
« Reply #48 on: September 02, 2011, 07:33:48 PM »
ah, thanks!

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #49 on: September 02, 2011, 09:08:10 PM »
What's a UPS?

Uninterruptable Power Supply -- it's a computer thingie for people who don't like to lose data when the power grid crashes. (Like in a hurricane.)

And sometimes they are delivered to your door in large brown trucks.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.